WTB - Black Seiko Sumo

Looking for a watch or anything else? Post what you are looking for here.

WTB - Black Seiko Sumo

Postby jonnybardo » March 12th 2013, 1:50pm

The next watches on my wishlist are the Seiko Sumo and the Orient Saturation Diver, with the Tuna and one or two others a bit behind. I really want the Saturation Diver most, especially the now out of production model on Seiya with older style hands, but I'd rather work my way up to that and go for a Sumo first, considering that I eventually want both.

Anyways, here's the question: Where to buy a Sumo? It seems I have a few options:

- Ebay - they're never used but can be found new for ~$550
- WatchRecon - they show up relatively frequently but rarely go for less than $450, and only then when rather scuffed (I'd rather spend $550 new than $450, unless only very lightly used)
- SeiyaJapan - $564 seems about the going rate.
- Higuchi Inc - ~$490 is the best price new, but I'm a bit leery about it (and don't know if their price includes shipping).

So what do you recommend? Is Higuchi the best price and reliable? Or somewhere else? Quick shipping is a major plus.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Re: WTB - Black Seiko Sumo

Postby mrneddles » March 12th 2013, 2:34pm

Higuchi is infallible, and his price includes shipping with tracking. I have purchased several JDM models from him and all have arrived in wrapped, new condition. $490 is the best price and I would jump on it as I heard the Yen/US$ rate was very favorable.

I am very close to buying a Blumo.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby jonnybardo » March 12th 2013, 2:41pm

Thanks, Mr Neddles. It just seems crazy to spend ~$450 on Watchuseek for a Sumo at 90%, when for $40 more I can get a brand new one. That said, I don't know of a <$1,000 watch that holds its value as well. It seems like the going used rate is 80+% of new.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jonnybardo » March 12th 2013, 2:44pm

Actually, I just checked the exchange rate and it is $479.82...hard to beat that.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JJMac » March 12th 2013, 3:13pm

I'd jump on it, jonny. My Sumo is the most satisfying purchase I've made in a long time.
JJMac
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jonnybardo » March 13th 2013, 5:40pm

Anyone know how long Higuchi takes to answer inquiries and/or process orders? I placed one last night - about 24 hours ago - and haven't heard anything since.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Want to Buy