Orient Saturation Diver

Looking for a watch or anything else? Post what you are looking for here.

Orient Saturation Diver

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 8:16am

So I'm thinking of popping my $500+ watch cherry and going for an Orient Saturation Diver. Probably not quite yet - I'd like to build up some funds via a PayPal balance to cover most of the cost - but am just casting a line out there to see what I come up with and gather information. As this will eventually (hopefully) lead to a purchase, I thought it best to post in this forum. Right now I'm mainly looking at pricing and availability.

So let me get this straight:

The OrientWatchUSA MSRP is $2,495, which of course isn't the "real" list price (with their 30% off coupon, it would be $1,750 - which seems to be the "real" list price).

The cheaper internet (new) price is usually in the $1100-1500 range (SeiyaJapan has it for $1,128).

The used price is between $700-900. One just sold on Watchuseek for $800, but I also saw a slightly scuffed orange dial one sell for $600.

So am I right in thinking that in order to get a black dial Saturation Diver in excellent condition, its going to cost $800+?

Also, Seiya claims the model they have, the WZ0041EL, is longer in production . The one on OrientWatchUSA is the EL02002B. Is there any difference between the two? OrientWatchUSA says "EL02002B has been improved! It's now wind-able by the crown and hackable thanks to the new 40N5A Caliber movement," but Seiya's is also wind-able and hackable. What am I missing?

Thanks.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Orient Saturation Diver

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 10:34am

I'll sell you mine for two grand. It might sound a little high, but it's got Conjurer DNA all over it. It's minty!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Horse Feathers » March 1st 2013, 10:36am

Anybody who owns one of these sucks Donkey Dick

I think there are better values out there

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 10:43am

Horse Feathers wrote:Anybody who owns one of these sucks Donkey Dick

I think there are better values out there

Hater!

To respond to the OP, there are three models of the OS300 out there; the first one had the older caliber movement (no hack or handwind) and often came with the Orient Star name on the dial. These are out of production, and I haven't seen one for sale except for second-hand.

It was replaced a couple of years ago by the one I own (and worth every penny of two grand!) that has the hand-wind and hacking movement. This is, I think, the one available for $1200 at Seiya. The newest model (at OUSA) has a slightly different dial and handset, and is the one currently in production by Orient.

Don't even try to make sense of Orient's model numbers--they are different from market to market, and I still can't make heads or tails out of them.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 10:57am

Thanks, conjurer. I'd definitely want the hand-winding option so will keep my eye out for one of the two newer models.

Horse Feathers, there are always "better values out there" but that's not the point, at least for me. Not only is this a lot of watch for the $800 it goes for used, but it calls to me - and that, in the end, is what i choose to buy.

But out of curiosity, what do you consider better values given this same general price range and diver type? Say, for less than $2,000 new and $1,000 used? (Or thereabouts)
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » March 1st 2013, 10:59am

jonnybardo wrote:But out of curiosity, what do you consider better values given this same general price range and diver type? Say, for less than $2,000 new and $1,000 used? (Or thereabouts)

Doesn't matter, it's calling you

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 3:25pm

Huh? It isn't a matter of either/or - but of hearing what you feel is a better value than the Saturation Diver (I don't get why you'd say that but be reticent about pointing to what you were referring to...I'm curious, is all).
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Horse Feathers » March 1st 2013, 5:39pm

jonnybardo wrote:Huh? It isn't a matter of either/or - but of hearing what you feel is a better value than the Saturation Diver (I don't get why you'd say that but be reticent about pointing to what you were referring to...I'm curious, is all).

"Not only is this a lot of watch for the $800 it goes for used, but it calls to me - and that, in the end, is what i choose to buy"

So buy it

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » March 1st 2013, 6:04pm

HF is spouting shit. There is no dive watch the equal of the OS300 for less money. Period.

Go for it jonny. Its an awesome watch and one of the few that is a permanent member of my rotation.

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 6:14pm

bedlam wrote:HF is spouting shit. There is no dive watch the equal of the OS300 for less money. Period.

Go for it jonny. Its an awesome watch and one of the few that is a permanent member of my rotation.

Yup!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 7:06pm

But my Invicta Reserves are as good, right?

Seriously though, I want it. I'll get it, but not quite yet. Got to sell more old watches.

HF, I'm waiting for you to shout "Get off my lawn, punk!" You sound like a grumpy old man.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » March 1st 2013, 7:11pm

But, but, but what about the law of diminishing return???

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Horse Feathers » March 1st 2013, 7:24pm

jonnybardo wrote: HF, I'm waiting for you to shout "Get off my lawn, punk!" You sound like a grumpy old man.

Not worth the energy, I simply

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » March 1st 2013, 7:28pm

jonnybardo wrote:But my Invicta Reserves are as good, right?

Um...no. They aren't
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » March 1st 2013, 7:39pm

If you like a bigger, heavier watch, you won't go wrong with the Orient:

[img]Image[/img]
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 8:28pm

jason_recliner wrote:If you like a bigger, heavier watch, you won't go wrong with the Orient:

[img]Image[/img]

Indeed. The OS300 pretty much pushes the envelope as the largest watch I can wear. Naturally, bedlam and jason can pull it off, because they're Australians. But even with my decadent and weak American wrist, the Orient is beautifully balanced and wears well.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 8:36pm

Codguy, still bitter? In the last few weeks since writing that post I've learned a lot about watches, but I haven't changed my view on the "law of diminishing returns" with regards to price and quality increase. But as I said before, this is true of just about any product type. The higher the price, the lower the increase in overall quality.

Bedlam, you do realize that I was jesting, don't you?

Conjurer and Jason, how big does it wear compared to the Revolver?
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2013, 8:48pm

jonnybardo wrote:Codguy, still bitter? In the last few weeks since writing that post I've learned a lot about watches, but I haven't changed my view on the "law of diminishing returns" with regards to price and quality increase. But as I said before, this is true of just about any product type. The higher the price, the lower the increase in overall quality.

Bedlam, you do realize that I was jesting, don't you?

Conjurer and Jason, how big does it wear compared to the Revolver?

It wears bigger than the Revolver, mainly in height off the wrist. I don't recall how tall the Revolver is, but it's a lot thinner than the OS300.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » March 1st 2013, 8:57pm

The Revolver is 14mm from memory, the OS300 is 16.5mm.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 8:58pm

Thanks. Sounds good. The Revolver is actually pretty thick - quite a bit thicker than, say, a Black Monster (which are rather thin, but it is a well-known comparison).
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » March 1st 2013, 8:59pm

jonnybardo wrote:Bedlam, you do realize that I was jesting, don't you?

You do know I wasn't. The OS300 is not something one jests about jonny. You just wouldn't.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 9:01pm

I posted that before I saw Bedlam's response. 16.5 is pretty thick - getting dangerously close to Invicta territory, but I think I can live with it. My wrist is 7.25" and I like a biggish watch, so the Saturation Diver - at 45 x 16.5 - looks about perfect.

Gone are the days where I try to wear a 52 x 20 watch and not look like a fool.
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » March 1st 2013, 9:02pm

jonnybardo wrote:I posted that before I saw Bedlam's response. 16.5 is pretty thick - getting dangerously close to Invicta territory, but I think I can live with it. My wrist is 7.25" and I like a biggish watch, so the Saturation Diver - at 45 x 16.5 - looks about perfect.

Gone are the days where I try to wear a 52 x 20 watch and not look like a fool.

Its well balanced on rubber and the bracelet though. Lots of people with pussy wrists who can't handle big watches (like conjurer) still have no problem with the OS300.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby jaw » March 1st 2013, 9:03pm

bedlam wrote:The Revolver is 14mm from memory, the OS300 is 16.5mm.

Close, the Revolver is 15mm.
Last edited by Anonymous on March 1st 2013, 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby jonnybardo » March 1st 2013, 9:04pm

Funny. What's the definition of a pussy wrist, anyhow? Below 7 inches?
jonnybardo
Senior Member & WIS

Next

Return to Want to Buy