Why Richard Mille Watches Are So Expensive

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

Why Richard Mille Watches Are So Expensive

Postby koimaster » January 24th 2018, 10:02am

Richard Mille watches start at around $80,000 USD and go up to several million dollars in price for some of their more exotic timepieces. Richard Mille releases at least a few different $1,000,00+ watches per a year, and the average price of one of their tourbillon watches ranges from about $500,000–$800,000. These are enormous numbers even by luxury watch standards – so a very common question by consumers as well as others in the watch industry is "why are Richard Mille watches so expensive?"

Is it that Richard Mille products have that much inherent value and need to be priced that high? Or are there are other factors which allow the brand to (quite successfully) charge that much money for a single timepiece? I (and much of the aBlogtoWatch team members) have studied the Richard Mille brand for a while, spent time with their products, and also had the pleasure of getting to know a range of people at the company, including Mr. Richard Mille himself. It is with admiration that we attempt to unravel some of the branding secrets that have allowed Richard Mille to continue wowing its roster of elite customers with extremely expensive timepieces that they keep buying one after another.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/richard-mi ... expensive/

It is tree pages long so the tabs are on the first page ^^

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Why Richard Mille Watches Are So Expensive

Postby Eldan » January 24th 2018, 2:55pm

I don't know what's more hideous, the watches or the article.
Eldan
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » January 24th 2018, 4:13pm

Eldan wrote:I don't know what's more hideous, the watches or the article.

Nice to see you on the forum again. I just re-read your intro post......They really put you through the wringer :D

:lol:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 24th 2018, 4:19pm

That's because with just how dreadful these watches are, and how annoying the article is, it's next to impossible to establish which of these things is worse.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » January 24th 2018, 5:00pm

It is a difficult thing to discern, indeed.

The RM watches get more ridiculous in design and price point with time. The monotonous, mind numbing homage to the Seiko Prospex GMT (SUN061) is a case in point.

The synchronous devolution of ABTW over time, to the best of my ability to determine, can only be judged to be equally as appalling.

The "world's most read watch blog" (according to ABTW) can no longer be bothered to even caption photographs so their readers might, for example, know who the creepy looking fuck in the pink shirt is sitting next to the creepy looking Richard Mille. Or additionally, that readers may know the model number of the horribly designed watch pictured with a bit of information as to the time it was abominationated into existence, and so on and so forth.

Nor can the world's most read watch blog be bothered to pay attention to small details like the number of places in the numerical representation of a figure, in this instance, an astronomical, ridiculous price. Millions, 1 - 9,999,999, are are 7 (SEVEN) places you fucking oblivious fucks!

Ariel Adams is a putz!
Last edited by 3Flushes on January 24th 2018, 5:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » January 24th 2018, 5:03pm

I believe you have to pay even more for a RM that you can actually read the time on :shock:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » January 24th 2018, 5:05pm

REL is the first time I have been around to see a guy sell his soul in real time, one article at a time.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 24th 2018, 5:16pm

3Flushes wrote:The "world's most read watch blog" (according to ABTW) can no longer be bothered to even caption photographs so their readers might, for example, know who the creepy looking fuck in the pink shirt is sitting next to the creepy looking Richard Mille.

I don't know who that is either, but looking at his mug and haircut, I don't think I want to know what does he keep in his basement.

ABTW was - at some point - not quite as dreadful as the Donkeys (not that it ever was any good - not with REL at the helm), but now they as well blow flaccid lingam, big-time.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 24th 2018, 5:33pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
3Flushes wrote:The "world's most read watch blog" (according to ABTW) can no longer be bothered to even caption photographs so their readers might, for example, know who the creepy looking fuck in the pink shirt is sitting next to the creepy looking Richard Mille.

I don't know who that is either, but looking at his mug and haircut, I don't think I want to know what does he keep in his basement.

That's pacerguy.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 24th 2018, 5:39pm

RM is a lesson in how to make stupid, wealthy people part with their cash by having celebrities endorse their UAF product. Placement and high cost create a sense of exclusivity that defies all logic and certainly disregards taste and aesthetics.

Oh, and REL can snuggle my left nut, the fucker.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » January 24th 2018, 6:08pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

That's pacerguy.

TMMLVH!

Oh God, not again.

I've been letting a little pee go all day. Im running outta clean drawers over here! Damn yous guys!
Last edited by 3Flushes on January 24th 2018, 6:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » January 24th 2018, 6:09pm

biglove wrote:RM is a lesson in how to make stupid, wealthy people part with their cash by having celebrities endorse their UAF product. Placement and high cost create a sense of exclusivity that defies all logic and certainly disregards taste and aesthetics.

Indeed!

I suspect Mr. Mille laughs himself to sleep every night.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » January 24th 2018, 8:36pm

bedlam wrote:REL is the first time I have been around to see a guy sell his soul in real time, one article at a time.

Best and most apt description of TV Antenna Adams ever.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Eldan » January 25th 2018, 12:59pm

koimaster wrote:

Nice to see you on the forum again. I just re-read your intro post......They really put you through the wringer :D

:lol:

I just went back and re-read it too. That was fun.
Eldan
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers