Hands-On: The Voutilainen Vingt-8 ISO

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

Hands-On: The Voutilainen Vingt-8 ISO

Postby koimaster » July 22nd 2017, 1:10pm

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Kari Voutilainen's watches. They blend traditional techniques and watchmaking prowess with super high-end finishing and looks just modern enough to really catch your eye. The Vingt-8 is the best-known Voutilainen watch model and when most people talk about one of Kari's watches, it's this archetype to which they're referring. But this new kind of Vingt-8, while it might look like a traditional watch at first glance, is nothing like its predecessors. It's one of the coolest watches I've seen all year and I'm excited to finally share it with you.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-v ... ingt-8-iso

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Hands-On: The Voutilainen Vingt-8 ISO

Postby SaoGage » July 22nd 2017, 3:15pm

The name just rolls right off the tongue...
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » July 22nd 2017, 3:28pm

While it's a nice enough looking fancy ass watch what is the fucking point in investing all that time and talent just to invent an innovative new way to tell time that creates nothing but confusion?
I get it Kari-you are a genius but can't you find a better way to show it than this? Maybe you think you built a better mousetrap but I doubt that the world of horology will be beating a path to your door for this.

Therefore

FTF'nW
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » July 22nd 2017, 3:37pm

foghorn wrote:While it's a nice enough looking fancy ass watch what is the fucking point in investing all that time and talent just to invent an innovative new way to tell time that creates nothing but confusion?
I get it Kari-you are a genius but can't you find a better way to show it than this? Maybe you think you built a better mousetrap but I doubt that the world of horology will be beating a path to your door for this.
Therefore FTF'nW

Easy Jeff, remember your blood pressure.....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 22nd 2017, 4:10pm

The watch that doesn't tell the time it appears to be telling, well, that's something new. Frankly, I see no sense in that. Imagine that you're behind the wheel, and want to quickly read the time. With this watch, you'll likely have a (likely fatal) close encounter with a roadside tree before you've read the time. It's the second stupid thing I've seen Voutilainen do in a year, the first one being that Chinese smartphone, which looked as crass as it gets, with a silly price tag and an outdated software. While I really admire most of Voutilainen's watches, especially the stunning movements inside them, with this one I'm simply wondering what the fuck was he thinking.

I don't like the review either (after all, it's the Donkeys, so expecting anything better would be in vain), a lengthy and pretentious verbal wank to an utterly useless thing.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 22nd 2017, 7:39pm

This one rates two Cabriole table legs.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 22nd 2017, 8:07pm

Its impressive that the guy invented his own Rube Goldberg machine for telling time on a wrist :lol:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » July 22nd 2017, 8:33pm

It's a really handsome watch and I'm sure it was an incredible amount of actual genius that went into it.

But it's like Patton Oswalt once said about science: "We're all about coulda, not shoulda." Now we gotta re-learn how to read a watch dial for ...well, why, WTF?
To be the first on our block to have a watch with an oddball meter so we can constantly correct passersby?

Rich jagoffs and their toys.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers