The Rise of Independent Watch Brands

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

The Rise of Independent Watch Brands

Postby koimaster » July 10th 2017, 8:52am

The number of independent watch brands is growing every year, and as watch buyers become more discerning, it’s these companies that are producing some of the most original timepieces. Could this signal a renaissance for independent watchmakers?

At last year’s SIHH, the annual luxury watch fair organised by Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie, the usual big names were there showing off their new designs and directions. In addition, however, SIHH added a Carré des Horlogers series (meaning “square of watchmakers”) featuring nine independent brands – Laurent Ferrier, Urwerk, Christophe Claret, De Bethune, H.Moser & Cie, Hautlence, HYT, Kari Voutilainen and MB&F.

In the 26th year of the fair, the industry finally started to take the independent watchmakers very seriously and right now, it’s independent brands that are not only pushing innovation, but also creating quality watches at a range of prices.

Often, the former employees of big brands helm these smaller companies. MB&F’s founder Maximilian Büsser is one of those people. He started at Jaeger- LeCoultre after leaving college then, at just 31, he became the youngest managing director of Harry Winston, where he turned the company’s fortunes around, making it a huge success. “I had a dream life as seen by most,” he tells MOJEHMEN, but he decided to start his own brand. “It was my father’s passing away 15 years ago that made me realise this is not the life I want to live, not the life I would be proud of on the day I pass away. So I started dreaming about what would later become MB&F.”

https://mojehmen.com/watches/features/r ... tch-brands

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers