New here - hello from East Coast of US!

New here - hello from East Coast of US!

Postby PiningforElgin » July 2nd 2017, 8:47pm

Pleased and honored to be joining this watch forum. I'm somewhat new to watch collecting as I'm just a few years off college and only acquired the modest means to procure watches in recent times. Currently all of my watches would be considered in the "affordable" price range, relatively speaking.

I live on the east coast of the U.S, as of now a little bit to the northern side, though I've resided on both sides of Mason-Dixon at various times.

One of my favorite watch brand (with watches of which I now own) is Tissot, though I'm not 100% happy with their recent focus on marketing the sporty quartz type watches as I believe their automatic watches with ETA and Valjoux movements are their stronger points. I am also a big fan of the Orient brand/company, in particular their Bambino line (with the domed crystal in the style of 1960s dress watches). But I am a sucker for watches from different countries - in my current collection there is Switzerland (Tissot & vintage Swatch), Japan (Orient & Seiko), China (Seagull movement, nameless brand) and Belarus (Luch). Aiming for future purchase from Russia (Vostok), France (Yonger et Bresson maybe?) and Germany (really want a Nomos when I get more budget) and finally United States (Weiss, RGM - I hope US watchmaking can be revived again hence the username). The high-end watch brands I'd like to own watches of but currently cannot afford are aforementioned Nomos and Tudor (which is basically Rolex just less pretentious).

My possibly controversial opinions (to lay it out there): I actually do not hate Invicta, but to me they are really not a "real" watch company - I only consider companies with in-house movements to be proper watchmakers (Swatch Group, Rolex, Seiko, Orient, Vostok). Invicta and other companies are just dressing up a movement (heart) with a skin and clothing, so an Invicta with a Sellita SW200 movement is no different from another Swiss watch with the same movement (though, Invicta styles can be uglier) *in heart* first, then my purchase decision would depend on things like bracelet, case size, case quality, etc. An Invicta with a Seiko movement to me IS a SEIKO watch first, and dressed in Invicta clothing second. A Tissot with Valjoux I consider to be a Valjoux watch with a Tissot name (but since Tissot is owned by Swatch Group it makes no difference anyways). To me, Invicta sometimes dresses up a Seiko movement rather well, sometimes not so well, same with what they do with SW200. These are not reason for hating.

I look forward to good discussions, and more importantly, for me to learn more about watches, horology, history, and all things related. I believe the content of my collection, and my opinions above, will likely evolve, tweak and even change completely throughout my time at the forum. Thanks y'all for letting me here!
PiningforElgin

Re: New here - hello from East Coast of US!

Postby bedlam » July 2nd 2017, 9:15pm

Welcome to WL. Nice Tissot on WRUW :-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 2nd 2017, 9:20pm

"Tudor (which is basically Rolex just less pretentious)."

Hmm. Well, that's a new one.

Nice Tissot in WURW today.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » July 2nd 2017, 9:30pm

Welcome to the asylum...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » July 2nd 2017, 10:57pm

Listen, Mr. Elgin: you sound like a good sort of fellow, so don't be a fuckhead. Invicter is fucking shit. Here, say it after me:

INVICTER

IS

FUCKING

SHIT.

There you go. There's a good fellow. Welcome, goddamn it, and carry on!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » July 2nd 2017, 11:04pm

Welcome.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby PiningforElgin » July 2nd 2017, 11:08pm

conjurer wrote:Listen, Mr. Elgin: you sound like a good sort of fellow, so don't be a fuckhead. Invicter is fucking shit. Here, say it after me:

INVICTER

IS

FUCKING

SHIT.

There you go. There's a good fellow. Welcome, goddamn it, and carry on!

Maybe the Invicta company executives are shit, but a NH35 is a NH35 is a NH35 whether encased in an Invicta-stamped watch or one of another brand. A watch's heart is the movement plain and simple. I judge people by their hearts and watches (primarily) by their movements which are equivalent to hearts, and an NH35, no matter what watch it lives in,is a NH35 to me. I would buy a generic watch with big letters "ETA 2824-2" stamped on the dial, provide that their materials are good and it looks good.

Thanks for the welcome! I believe you are also a good fellow - just laying out some nuances out there regarding heart & skin of a timepiece in my opinion
Last edited by PiningforElgin on July 2nd 2017, 11:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
PiningforElgin

Postby PiningforElgin » July 2nd 2017, 11:08pm

Also thank you everyone for the warm welcome!
PiningforElgin

Postby Mark1 » July 2nd 2017, 11:36pm

Welcome to WatchLords. I see what you are saying in regards to movements. Keep in mind that Invicta manufactures nothing themselves, (with the possible exception of the newly acquired Glycine brand.) This does not necessarily mean that all Invictas are shit it just means they are slapped together by the lowest bidder.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby 3Flushes » July 3rd 2017, 1:59am

Welcome to Watchlords; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

There are many members here who have bought Invicta, and still do. There's a great deal of IWG information here; what's under all that Invicta skin and clothing as you put it is frequently not as advertised; kinda like picking up a chick in a bar and taking home a transvestite- quite a shock when you get that dress off- not that I ever, uhhhh, well, I've heard that, uhh at a strip joint, yeah, that was where I heard it, a strip joint for bikers, I uh used to hang around with bikers, long story.

While I personally would never do bs. with IWG again, I'm not advising you to never buy Invicta, just be certain you're getting what's in the specs. There is a lot of negative opinion about Invicta around here, but the primary canon of the board is buy and wear what you like as long as your not under any illusions as to what it is.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » July 3rd 2017, 3:21am

Good to someone from the east coast for a change. This place was being overrun by damn lumberjacks!

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Thunder1 » July 3rd 2017, 6:20am

foghorn wrote:Good to someone from the east coast for a change. This place was being overrun by damn lumberjacks!

and not enough cowboys...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » July 3rd 2017, 6:27am

Not sure I agree with your thought process on watches Elgin.

Take this 51 jewel wartch for example:

-Is it a SWI? Says so on the dial.
-Armand Nicolet whom produced it?
-How about a Dubois Depraz? It is their module that runs the chronograph feature.
-Perhaps we can call it a ETA? Has one of those movements as well.

Me? I call it a SWI.... becuz it sayd so on the dial but I actually see it as a Armand Nicolet regardless of the branding.

But what ever you decide, never refer to it as a Nvicter.
If you care to reply with a answer, it will add to your ever important post count and will assist in becoming our first Watchlords Ambassador.

----> And contact conjurer for your approved avatar, none other will be accepted.
You can thank me later.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 7:32am

3Flushes wrote:Welcome to Watchlords; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

There are many members here who have bought Invicta, and still do. There's a great deal of IWG information here; what's under all that Invicta skin and clothing as you put it is frequently not as advertised; kinda like picking up a chick in a bar and taking home a transvestite- quite a shock when you get that dress off- not that I ever, uhhhh, well, I've heard that, uhh at a strip joint, yeah, that was where I heard it, a strip joint for bikers, I uh used to hang around with bikers, long story.

While I personally would never do bs. with IWG again, I'm not advising you to never buy Invicta, just be certain you're getting what's in the specs. There is a lot of negative opinion about Invicta around here, but the primary canon of the board is buy and wear what you like as long as your not under any illusions as to what it is.

Thank you! Very valuable information! I don't actually own any watches by them (in my aesthetic taste, Seiko has better aesthetics, but again on your home page there's a video making fun of Seiko monster hehe. Agree though I think Seiko SKX looks better than monster line).
PiningforElgin

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 7:37am

codguy wrote:.
Not sure I agree with your thought process on watches Elgin.

Take this 51 jewel wartch for example:

-Is it a SWI? Says so on the dial.
-Armand Nicolet whom produced it?
-How about a Dubois Depraz? It is their module that runs the chronograph feature.
-Perhaps we can call it a ETA? Has one of those movements as well.

Me? I call it a SWI.... becuz it sayd so on the dial but I actually see it as a Armand Nicolet regardless of the branding.

But what ever you decide, never refer to it as a Nvicter.
If you care to reply with a answer, it will add to your ever important post count and will assist in becoming our first Watchlords Ambassador.

----> And contact conjurer for your approved avatar, none other will be accepted.
You can thank me later.

Thank you! SWI, ohhhh haha, actually they ran a decent grey market website (WoW) where I could buy at affordable prices of other brands. As for SWI's own brands there were some ugly stuff sadly despite occasional okay offerings (I have a preowned seamaster homage by them, for beachy uses only and it tells decent time with a working bezel so far).
PiningforElgin

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 7:39am

foghorn wrote:Good to someone from the east coast for a change. This place was being overrun by damn lumberjacks!

Haha thanks nothing wrong with lumberjacks!

I thought lumberjacks would all wear Gshocks? Jk, jk
PiningforElgin

Postby Tzimisces » July 3rd 2017, 7:41am

PiningforElgin wrote:
Maybe the Invicta company executives are shit, but a NH35 is a NH35 is a NH35 whether encased in an Invicta-stamped watch or one of another brand. A watch's heart is the movement plain and simple. I judge people by their hearts and watches (primarily) by their movements which are equivalent to hearts, and an NH35, no matter what watch it lives in,is a NH35 to me. I would buy a generic watch with big letters "ETA 2824-2" stamped on the dial, provide that their materials are good and it looks good.

The movement might be made by Seiko, but that's as far as Seiko's involvement goes. Seiko doesn't warranty the watch, Seiko doesn't market the watch, and, most importantly, Seiko doesn't install the movement.
Seiko QC ends when the movement leaves their factory. The rest is on Nvicter, and whomever they hire to case it up.

A fine steak is a fine steak, but it matters who cooks it and how.

Oh, and welcome. Good intro post. Hope you stick around.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 7:48am

Tzimisces wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

The movement might be made by Seiko, but that's as far as Seiko's involvement goes. Seiko doesn't warranty the watch, Seiko doesn't market the watch, and, most importantly, Seiko doesn't install the movement.
Seiko QC ends when the movement leaves their factory. The rest is on Nvicter, and whomever they hire to case it up.

A fine steak is a fine steak, but it matters who cooks it and how.

Oh, and welcome. Good intro post. Hope you stick around.

You are right about the QC aspect and I actually agree with it after a second! Thanks!
PiningforElgin

Postby koimaster » July 3rd 2017, 8:25am

Hmm,

Rolex does indeed make their own movements - Rolex is one of very few watch manufacturers in the world that make just about every single component for their watches, they even smelt their own metal, make their own hairsprings. The vast majority of watch brands at a similar kind of price level (Omega, Breitling, Panerai etc.) principally source their movements from elsewhere, from ETA (which is part of the Swatch group) as a general rule. ETA will sell them the ebauche, and the individual manufacturer will then decorate it and modify it to their own specifications.

Seiko also makes their own movements both in Japan and in Asia proper with the company TMI which they own. Fossil watches does as well using their own movement company http://www.ablogtowatch.com/visit-stp-w ... nswer-eta/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 8:26am

Welcome to the forum. Ignore Conjurer; at 80+, he's borderline senile, and should be taken with a grain of salt the size of a horse pill. OBTW, I'm one of the eeeevil people who still purchase the occasional Invicta Pro-Diver or Grand Diver, and I tend to agree with you about an NH35A being an NH35A, and so on.

If, on the one hand, it's said that IWG has nothing to do with casing these Seiko movements, then it shouldn't be said, in the very next breath, that IWC's QC is bad; that makes no sense. Likewise the comment about the steak; if IWC isn't actually doing the grilling, why give them a ration for it? However, it is their CS that makes them the joke of the watch world, and there's no denying that. Still, the quality of their pro- and Grand divers is such that the CS issue never comes up for them.

And it looks like you've kicked off a good discussion with your intro, and that's a very good thing, IMHO. Just be careful if, like me, you use logic and facts in your arguments; you'll run afoul of certain individuals here who have nothing but their hatred of Invicta to make them feel like they know what they're talking about, Horologically speaking. Without that, they're bereft of anything profound to say. (Ah, but they say it loud! ;) ) Stick to your guns and don't drink the reverse-Kool Aid, young Pining; you'll do fine here.

Again, welcome to WatchLords; the place really IS more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!
8-)
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 3rd 2017, 8:32am

Just be careful if, like me, you use logic and facts in your arguments; you'll run afoul of certain individuals here who have nothing but their hatred of Invicta to make them feel like they know what they're talking about, Horologically speaking. Without that, they're bereft of anything profound to say. (Ah, but they say it loud! ;) ) Stick to your guns and don't drink the reverse-Kool Aid, young Pining; you'll do fine here.

Yes, you should be aware that Koimaster (me) is the #1 hater of all things inflicta. But I also know what I am talking about or so people say here and elsewhere. But that is neither here nor there. On this forum any watch can be discussed regardless of brand.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 9:02am

Mortuus wrote:Welcome to the forum. Ignore Conjurer; at 80+, he's borderline senile, and should be taken with a grain of salt the size of a horse pill. OBTW, I'm one of the eeeevil people who still purchase the occasional Invicta Pro-Diver or Grand Diver, and I tend to agree with you about an NH35A being an NH35A, and so on.

If, on the one hand, it's said that IWG has nothing to do with casing these Seiko movements, then it shouldn't be said, in the very next breath, that IWC's QC is bad; that makes no sense. Likewise the comment about the steak; if IWC isn't actually doing the grilling, why give them a ration for it? However, it is their CS that makes them the joke of the watch world, and there's no denying that. Still, the quality of their pro- and Grand divers is such that the CS issue never comes up for them.

And it looks like you've kicked off a good discussion with your intro, and that's a very good thing, IMHO. Just be careful if, like me, you use logic and facts in your arguments; you'll run afoul of certain individuals here who have nothing but their hatred of Invicta to make them feel like they know what they're talking about, Horologically speaking. Without that, they're bereft of anything profound to say. (Ah, but they say it loud! ;) ) Stick to your guns and don't drink the reverse-Kool Aid, young Pining; you'll do fine here.

Again, welcome to WatchLords; the place really IS more fun than a human being ought to be allowed to have!
8-)

Remind me, what is CS? Gotten hazy about acronyms these days. Also thanks for the welcome!
PiningforElgin

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 9:23am

Sorry about that...CS is short for "Customer Service." Something IWC claims to be working on, but when you look at the fail rate of the Dolt Zoosk, Cordoobers and other gi-normous monstrosities they sell to the dweebs, the lame, the blind and the halt, CS is sadly lacking. Still, if there's a market for them...well, you know.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 9:30am

Thanks! Got it now. But the acronym IWC could confuse outsiders as it could be of the actual IWC brand watch haha. Incidentally IWC (not invicta the actual brand IWC) is the luxury brand I've spotted in the wild most
PiningforElgin

Postby Mortuus » July 3rd 2017, 9:31am

koimaster wrote:
Just be careful if, like me, you use logic and facts in your arguments; you'll run afoul of certain individuals here who have nothing but their hatred of Invicta to make them feel like they know what they're talking about, Horologically speaking. Without that, they're bereft of anything profound to say. (Ah, but they say it loud! ;) ) Stick to your guns and don't drink the reverse-Kool Aid, young Pining; you'll do fine here.

Yes, you should be aware that Koimaster (me) is the #1 hater of all things inflicta. But I also know what I am talking about or so people say here and elsewhere. But that is neither here nor there. On this forum any watch can be discussed regardless of brand.

Nope, not even close to referring to you, Alain...you have other, more pressing reasons to hate them, and no one who knows them would ever argue with your reasoning. Nope, we have others here who can't be bothered with facts about the occasional good product -- like the aforementioned pro-divers and Grand Divers -- that comes out of IWG's "factories."
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Next

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself