A hello from Switzerland

A hello from Switzerland

Postby timeisyours » December 20th 2016, 12:56pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am looking forward to interesting discussions and news all around the world of watches. I am 34 years old and I live in the beautiful city of Bern, Switzerland.
A fascinating and watch related fact about my hometown is, that the clock in the clock tower of Bern is now ticking for more than 600 years. It's difference in time is only 2.1 seconds within 100 million years, making the difference during the last 600 years 12.6 millionth of a second.... That's what I call premium quality... I hope this answers the question why I am fascinated by mechanical watches ;0)

Best Regards from Bern,
timeisyours
timeisyours
Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: December 15th 2016, 12:16pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Thunder1 » December 20th 2016, 1:25pm

Welcome to the asylum, timeisyours...pls post some pics...
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2947
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby foghorn » December 20th 2016, 1:36pm

timeisyours wrote:A fascinating and watch related fact about my hometown is, that the clock in the clock tower of Bern is now ticking for more than 600 years. It's difference in time is only 2.1 seconds within 100 million years, making the difference during the last 600 years 12.6 millionth of a second.... That's what I call premium quality...





That's what I call premium bullshit.



Bern baby,Bern!
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 14896
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby codguy » December 20th 2016, 2:26pm

timeisyours wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum


No shit. Should I have known because I didn't recognize your forum name or because this is your post #1?

Oh, and do tell, Is the clock tower of Bern battery powered or solar?

(not like I fucking care)
.

Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4884
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Racer-X » December 20th 2016, 2:59pm

Welcome to the forum. Let's see some pics of your Swiss watches, aye!
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby jason_recliner » December 20th 2016, 3:21pm

Why does Switzerland have such a high suicide rate? Is it because Swiss women have smelly flanges?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7295
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby artman » December 20th 2016, 3:28pm

jason_recliner wrote:Why does Switzerland have such a high suicide rate? Is it because Swiss women have smelly flanges?

You're such an ASSHAT. Congrats!
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby smellody » December 20th 2016, 4:12pm

Welcome. Please forward the obligatory initiation Swiss chocolate. Pm me for a shipping address.
   
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby eddiea » December 20th 2016, 4:43pm

Are you truly Swiss, or just 51% ? lets hear some fucking details
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
Image
User avatar
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 10642
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Nikki Beach, Miami (GMT -5)

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby conjurer » December 20th 2016, 4:52pm

jason_recliner wrote:Why does Switzerland have such a high suicide rate? Is it because Swiss women have smelly flanges?


Dang.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23834
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby conjurer » December 20th 2016, 4:52pm

Welcome, goddamn it!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23834
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby bedlam » December 20th 2016, 5:06pm

timeisyours wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum and I am looking forward to interesting discussions and news all around the world of watches. I am 34 years old and I live in the beautiful city of Bern, Switzerland.
A fascinating and watch related fact about my hometown is, that the clock in the clock tower of Bern is now ticking for more than 600 years. It's difference in time is only 2.1 seconds within 100 million years, making the difference during the last 600 years 12.6 millionth of a second.... That's what I call premium quality... I hope this answers the question why I am fascinated by mechanical watches ;0)

Best Regards from Bern,
timeisyours

Were you made in Switzerland or just assembled there?

Welcome.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6752
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby koimaster » December 20th 2016, 5:23pm

This is you I assume http://www.timeisyours.ch/en/our-watches/

Welcome to the forum and thank you for not spamming us as Voort did yesterday.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 31807
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby conjurer » December 20th 2016, 5:43pm

koimaster wrote:This is you I assume http://www.timeisyours.ch/en/our-watches/

Welcome to the forum and thank you for not spamming us as Voort did yesterday.


Interestingly, that watch doesn't make me want to vomit my fucking guts out, nor does it make me want to hammer a Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass. Perhaps the newb would offer us a nice fucking discount, and do it pretty goddamn fast, too.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23834
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Tzimisces » December 20th 2016, 6:28pm

timeisyours wrote:A fascinating and watch related fact about my hometown is, that the clock in the clock tower of Bern is now ticking for more than 600 years. It's difference in time is only 2.1 seconds within 100 million years, making the difference during the last 600 years 12.6 millionth of a second.... That's what I call premium quality... I hope this answers the question why I am fascinated by mechanical watches ;0)

One of my Orients has only lost 23 millionths of a second in the last 6000 yrs, so the Japs have you beat.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
User avatar
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: August 10th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Amelia, VA

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby biglove » December 20th 2016, 6:35pm

So you are here to sell watches?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 9974
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby bedlam » December 20th 2016, 6:50pm

timeisyours wrote:A fascinating and watch related fact about my hometown is, that the clock in the clock tower of Bern is now ticking for more than 600 years. It's difference in time is only 2.1 seconds within 100 million years, making the difference during the last 600 years 12.6 millionth of a second.... That's what I call premium quality...

Complete BS.

From a travel writer talking to one of the guys who winds the Bern Tower Clock:

''Sometimes when I’m alone I think about time,” he said. 'Why does it move sometimes slowly, sometimes fast?”
As our visit finished up, he inserted a cog and jammed a gear, showing how he can pause the movement for repairs or adjustments. The clockwork halted and tension rose in the suddenly silent room. From this perch and perspective, one could believe that time had stopped...

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016090 ... ng-of-time


No mechanical movement has anything like the accuracy you claim. Not only that, but the Bern Tower Clock is stopped by its operators at points for many reasons, including servicing and showing off to journalists.

That sudden crashing sound is your credibility being dashed on the Watchlords rocks.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6752
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby svaglic » December 20th 2016, 7:20pm

koimaster wrote:This is you I assume http://www.timeisyours.ch/en/our-watches/

Welcome to the forum and thank you for not spamming us as Voort did yesterday.


41mm is a nice size in today's world of jumbo. Not my style, but you should do o.k.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Mark1 » December 20th 2016, 7:28pm

This is not your ordinary watch forum. Either you knew that from looking around beforehand or you just stumbled on in here to sell us something. Folks here can smell or at the very least strongly suspect bullshit from 1.6 kilometers away. Welcome to WatchLords, the answer will likely determine how long you stay.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member
 
Posts: 6901
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby TemerityB » December 20th 2016, 8:28pm

Hello. I'm just sitting here scratching my head.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 12773
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby bobbee » December 21st 2016, 1:45am

bedlam wrote-That sudden crashing sound is your credibility being dashed on the Watchlords rocks.


My new sig.

Welcome new member. Have the guts to reply to the Lords.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
User avatar
bobbee
Master of Time
 
Posts: 791
Joined: November 30th 2016, 1:01am

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Hawk » December 21st 2016, 5:25am

conjurer wrote:Interestingly, that watch doesn't make me want to vomit my fucking guts out, nor does it make me want to hammer a Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass. Perhaps the newb would offer us a nice fucking discount, and do it pretty goddamn fast, too.


Perhaps but since the Zytglogge may have been hammering away for 600 years it therefor preceded the invention of the pendulum movement which wasn't added until 1530. And even then it's a long way from being one of the more accurate of its type.

Our new guy would have us believe that laser/ microwave/ cesium clocks existed 600 years ago. Nothing wrong with that but it suggests we can't believe one damn word about anything he's selling as he's staked out an Eyal Lalo-ish amount of credibility which is to say, fucking none.

Perhaps the bigger issue is that if one is to invoke the Bern Clock Tower one should be compelled to note that the tower once served as a prison restricted to females and, more specifically, only those females convicted of fucking clergymen. That, to me, is far more interesting than any bogus claims of accuracy of the clock itself.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7234
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Wasp » December 21st 2016, 6:10am

Aliens, swiss aliens. I flippin knew it! The mighty hair speculator will have a dedicated episode on the unworldly clock you speak of.
esplain yourself, we will understand.
Image
fail


....i like swiss cheese?..if that helps 'ya
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Image
User avatar
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2778
Joined: December 31st 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Zip Code: e-i-e-i-o

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby bobbee » December 21st 2016, 6:41am

What I want to know is---when did smellody have his hogleg plated in yellow and white gold?
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
User avatar
bobbee
Master of Time
 
Posts: 791
Joined: November 30th 2016, 1:01am

Re: A hello from Switzerland

Postby Britboy » December 21st 2016, 8:08am

If that fantastic looking timepiece is 41mm in diameter then maybe you should get a model with reasonably sized wrists as those pictures make the watch look huge, more like 50mm.
Which I believe is the current trend according to all the shitty tv ad's out there.
So maybe you will do OK, maybe not..

Funny just how quickly people go quiet isn't it?
User avatar
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 619
Joined: August 22nd 2013, 10:58am
Location: Los Feliz, CA

Next

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests