Hi guys!

Hi guys!

Postby tobiepsg » October 31st 2016, 11:33pm

Hope I'm doing this right as the posting process is a little different from what I'm used to!

I'm an IT (Java web) Developer at one of the major banks in South Africa, photographer and musician (mainly bass & harmonica). I've lost quite a nice collection of watches about a year ago in an armed robbery at home so I'm slowly but surely starting to build up again. My most prized (sentimentally) piece was a Bulova Accutron bought in 1976. Made a hell of a hum - too much to keep it close to your head at night, but damn - it was so beautiful!

I've had quite a bad expierience with Lord Timepieces recently (in an attempt to add a sceleton face watch to my collection again), but that's a story for a different thread.

Looking forward to participating in this forum!

Imagewatch-bulova-DSC_2141 by Tobie Schalkwyk, on Flickr
tobiepsg

Re: Hi guys!

Postby bedlam » November 1st 2016, 12:36am

Welcome tobie. Excellent Bullie :Thumbsup:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Watchlord WIS

Postby tobiepsg » November 1st 2016, 1:01am

Thanks bedlam!
tobiepsg

Postby Thunder1 » November 1st 2016, 5:05am

Welcome to the asylum, tobiepsg..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » November 1st 2016, 5:07am

What is your opinion of Toots Thielemans?

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » November 1st 2016, 5:09am

Biddy-ho, Tobie.

Sucks about the watches. How goes the rebuilding of the collection?

Trump or HRC, if you were unfortunate enough to have to choose?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Britboy » November 1st 2016, 6:26am

Welcome, there is some fun to had here for sure.
Sorry to hear about the robbery.
Still, you will be richer for sure getting to know the folk here.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » November 1st 2016, 6:42am

Welcome Tobie. Shame about the robbery but starting anew can be fun.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » November 1st 2016, 7:53am

Welcome, goddamn it!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby tobiepsg » November 1st 2016, 8:11am

Thanks for the welcome(s), guys!

Foghorn Toots Thielemans was a brilliant harp player but in a genre different from my own (I prefer more of a country / gospel / blues mix). I have studied a few of his numbers yonks ago though - I can remember overblows way beyond anything I'd ever try, specially on the higher notes. No doubt about his brilliance, though! I prefer the lower registers in general and I thus have additional Low F and Low D Lee Oskars to accommodate that. I also have an Eb and F custom tuned by Lee Oskar himself for 2nd position playing. He toured South Africa last year and brought the harps all the way to SA so I could fetch it from him. Did not charge me a penny for either the custom work or the harps. That gave me renewed respect for the man!

Biglove the collection is growing slowly but surely - the Lord Timepiece experience was a blow to my efforts but it's no showstopper at all. I'm not in the USA but to be honest, I'd rather have a crook than a mad man to lead the country (they're all crooks anyway!) so I probably would have voted for HC if I had to vote.

Thanks Britboy. Fortunately there was no bodily harm during the robbery. Our 3-year old grandchild took it kind of OK during the incident but now and again we realize that she has some baggage as result. But everything went well under the circumstances.
tobiepsg

Postby AlbertaTime » November 1st 2016, 10:28am

Hiya Tobie. Here's me...(quick clip from a jam). I ain't awesome, but I'm OK.

Good to have another harp player on board.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » November 1st 2016, 11:10am

Hi Tobie
willkommen, verdammt.
Spent quite some time in ZA with SBSA and made good friends down there. Lovely country, great people, though I must admit - I never felt safe ;-). But the goddam beer and the huge steaks, and the Portuguese style chicken liver and what not all made up for it. Not to mention Pinotage. Only two bottles left...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tobiepsg » November 1st 2016, 11:22am

Great clip there @alberta! I'd give you full marks for that! :)

Yea it's a great country @gerdson. If only we can convince the government to preserve what we handed to them in 1994. Everything in perfect condition - all they had to do was maintain it but oh gosh! The beers & wines are tops and cheap!
tobiepsg

Postby AlbertaTime » November 1st 2016, 2:46pm

tobiepsg wrote:Great clip there @alberta! I'd give you full marks for that! :)

Thanks, but I was hoping you'd trade :-)

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby NorthCountry » November 1st 2016, 3:25pm

The Bulova is a hell of a watch, glad to have you kind Sir.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » November 1st 2016, 3:49pm

Welcome! Sorry about to hear about your stolen watches. I had my stuff stolen a few years back, so I hope you have as much fun rebuilding your collection as much as I have. I do miss this rose gold Bullie from the 30's that I got as a tip while waiting tables in college. I don't think I'll ever get over that one.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tobiepsg » November 1st 2016, 10:31pm

@alberta I have to start recording again - my laptop and 2x external HDD's have been 'taken' (with tens of thousands of photo's, which really hurt). The only recording left is one where a keyboardist friend of mine was looking for a nice intro into one of his songs. I have no idea where to place an mp3 for listening purposes, though...

Thanks @northcountry & @artman. I feel your pain artman - my watch was bought with danger pay as received during my national service in the SA Army so even if I get an identical replacement, it will never be the same. I'm back to 3 watches thus far - the priorities are a little different now than when I was younger so it will go slow. I started first with practical (every day use) watches for obvious reasons. The Lord Timepiece would have been my first arty piece...
tobiepsg

Postby tobiepsg » November 1st 2016, 10:39pm

@alberta my friend in North Carolina recorded this song and emailed it to me. He was looking for suggestions to give it a feel of some bum sitting on a beach somewhere, pondering life. I decided to add an intro which would portray that kind of feel, thus not something 'educated'. I end the piece off as well right at the end.

Sorry for the long route to get to the file: -

https://www.4shared.com/folder/xhf4JTI2/_online.html
tobiepsg

Postby tobiepsg » November 1st 2016, 11:47pm

My thread on my Lord Timepieces experience, for anyone interested: http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=35477
tobiepsg

Postby Mortuus » November 2nd 2016, 12:00am

It's very unfortunate that you lost all of your watches.

However, starting over from scratch has got to be a cool experience.

Unfortunately, people and companies want money for their watches.

But, as an IT Java Balaclava Bo-SHALLA-WALLA, you're probably doing okay and can (mostly) afford it.

Unfortunately, banks are notoriously skinflint in their pay and benefits, so you're probably going nowhere in your miserable, puissant little life...!

Please know that I'm always here to cheer you up as needed. Welcome aboard; post early, post often, and have fun, dammit! It's the number one requirement here in the deep -- and SEPTIC -- end of the pool.

TTFN/Don of the Dead 8-)
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT

Postby tobiepsg » November 2nd 2016, 12:30am

Thanks for one of the weirdest welcome received in my short life in forums, @mortuus! I'm not complaining about my financial abilities - replacing sentimental stuff: well, that's a difficult one! I'm not waiting on the bank to 'take me' anywhere either - retiring a year from now and then I want to get away from IT as far as I can (40 years is enough)! Planning to pursue a full time photography career - not an easy feat in itself! :)
Last edited by tobiepsg on November 2nd 2016, 8:55am, edited 1 time in total.
tobiepsg

Postby AlbertaTime » November 2nd 2016, 8:42am

Hi Tobie, and thanks for the clip. I understand completely about the "uneducated" feel on that. One of my early recording gigs was for a NFB film on old time western life in Canada, and I got the same request: play like you don't really know how to play that well--and it isn't easy to play like a novice when you're not. :-)

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself