Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Hawk » October 5th 2016, 7:36am

When I bought my TR-7 is was based on the assumption that 30 years afterward I would prefer saying "I once owned a TR-7" as opposed to the stone reliable but stupefyingly boring option which was a contemporaneous Toyota.

And indeed it was memorable. Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, had cursed it with his dying breath. The pop-up headlights were deployed using a foil gum wrapper to short out the contacts of the inoperable switch. Each Stromberg had a mind of its own, not necessarily a sound mind and none played well with others.

I carried two gallons of water. Somehow it went through water faster than oil or petrol but no coolant leak was ever detected over its cursed life though numerous other leaks manifested. The front MacPhersons mounting would randomly lose a quarter turn inducing a wicked pull to port or starboard but which was unpredictable. The need to keep fluids on hand made the thing look like a mobile Pep Boys.

Worst of all I moved it from New York to Texas, land of the jacked up pick-up, steroidal SUVs and high median dividers thus necessitating several dummy whip antennas with an assortment of fluorescent tennis balls and pennants in a vain hope of being seen by the crews of left-turning land yachts. The horn made a noise, when it worked, not dissimilar to an infant's whine.

And, as you note, it was not uncommon to pull off to the side of the road during a rain storm only to open the door to let the water out. 100 meters per ISO-6425 would appear to be a bare minimum for a watch. This would allow it to tell time - a function the clock in the alleged dashboard never did.

But, just like the salesman said, I never did forget that car and I still enjoy saying "I once owned a TR-7".

Is it true that British Leyland had somehow arranged for the factory to produce automobiles only during Monday morning hangovers and Friday afternoon drunks?
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » October 5th 2016, 11:40am

So it's a regulator with elapsed time function, right?
Poins to Sir John Falstaff: "Jack, how agrees the Devil and thee about thy soul, that thou soldest him on Good Friday last for a cup of Madeira and a cold capon's leg?"

Henry IV, Part 1, Act 1, Scene 2
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » October 5th 2016, 11:54am

Falstaff wrote:So it's a regulator with elapsed time function, right?

Wouldn't a regulator have both an hourandminute hand?

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Britboy » October 5th 2016, 12:42pm

Hawk wrote:When I bought my TR-7 is was based on the assumption that 30 years afterward I would prefer saying "I once owned a TR-7" as opposed to the stone reliable but stupefyingly boring option which was a contemporaneous Toyota.

And indeed it was memorable. Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, had cursed it with his dying breath. The pop-up headlights were deployed using a foil gum wrapper to short out the contacts of the inoperable switch. Each Stromberg had a mind of its own, not necessarily a sound mind and none played well with others.

I carried two gallons of water. Somehow it went through water faster than oil or petrol but no coolant leak was ever detected over its cursed life though numerous other leaks manifested. The front MacPhersons mounting would randomly lose a quarter turn inducing a wicked pull to port or starboard but which was unpredictable. The need to keep fluids on hand made the thing look like a mobile Pep Boys.

Worst of all I moved it from New York to Texas, land of the jacked up pick-up, steroidal SUVs and high median dividers thus necessitating several dummy whip antennas with an assortment of fluorescent tennis balls and pennants in a vain hope of being seen by the crews of left-turning land yachts. The horn made a noise, when it worked, not dissimilar to an infant's whine.

And, as you note, it was not uncommon to pull off to the side of the road during a rain storm only to open the door to let the water out. 100 meters per ISO-6425 would appear to be a bare minimum for a watch. This would allow it to tell time - a function the clock in the alleged dashboard never did.

But, just like the salesman said, I never did forget that car and I still enjoy saying "I once owned a TR-7".

Is it true that British Leyland had somehow arranged for the factory to produce automobiles only during Monday morning hangovers and Friday afternoon drunks?

:lol:
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Previous

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself