Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 9:08am

Hi guys,

Putting in the mandatory hi&hello post here :geek:
We are a small Norwegian watch brand established in 2015 making watches inspired by the great sports car era that was the 70s and the cocaine snorting life style that surrounded it.
Just found your little spot on the internet and thought we might share a few photos of our first watch model, but not sure if its proper conduct to do it here or in the micro brand section, or in the Norwegian watch brand section(?)

PS. There are no moose or polar bears depicted on the watch, so don´t get your hopes up.

Keep on Truckin!
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby bedlam » October 4th 2016, 9:11am

Pics or it didn't happen ;-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6760
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 9:35am

Of the watch..?
Here he is - the CMXI watch. Properly named with roman numerials.

Image
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby bedlam » October 4th 2016, 10:15am

If we kickstart it enough will you include an hour hand for us old school guys?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6760
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 11:02am

There is already a hour hand, and it´s extra long so the old guys can tell the time with no scroodles. (Not knowing if I made that word up or not).

With enough assets (monies) we could consider a DIY kit for adding a minute hand yourself.
..all though it would be very similar to the long hour hand in design.

BUT! Since we skipped the minutes hand (for financial reasons) we added an extra line in between each hour. That way its (by pure luck) 10 minutes between each line. And since the hand we kept is quite long it´s much easier to keep track of whether or not the bar is open :)
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby tiktok » October 4th 2016, 11:09am

Where's the straw?
User avatar
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: March 20th 2015, 7:18pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 11:11am

THAT image is coming later.. We did´nt add a flat scratch free glass for nothing.
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby biglove » October 4th 2016, 11:46am

Don't know squat about the offering; but, the humor is appreciated.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 9995
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby foghorn » October 4th 2016, 12:05pm

I think 12 subdivisions between the hour markers, a la Meistersinger, not only looks better but also allows for a more precise determination of the time.
Any technical data or should we just assume it's too big with a crappy movement? Not a good idea to leave things to our imagination here.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 14898
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby foghorn » October 4th 2016, 12:18pm

Don't sweat the technical stuff-I found stuff out on my own.
Where is the chrono seconds hand?
Why not just call it the 911?
WR should be 50m or more for a "sporting" watch. Even a non diver
Nice straps.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 14898
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby jason_recliner » October 4th 2016, 3:46pm

A chronograph for the precise measurement of elapsed time, but no minute hand. Sorry kid, I don't think so.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7295
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby conjurer » October 4th 2016, 4:52pm

I don't fucking get it--do you sell the hour hand separately? I mean, I need to know the precise time, because sometimes Cinemax starts their softcore porn movies a few minutes after the hour, and I don't want to waste any jerk-off opportunities. Also, as foghorn points out above, if it ain't at least 50m water resistant, it's a no-go, because my salty jizz could infiltrate the case and totally fuck up the movement.

You should investigate these real-life issues before offering this wartche four Sail.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23846
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 5:00pm

foghorn wrote:Don't sweat the technical stuff-I found stuff out on my own.
Where is the chrono seconds hand?
Why not just call it the 911?
WR should be 50m or more for a "sporting" watch. Even a non diver
Nice straps.


To make the hour hand that big we actually had to melt all the other main hands together. So it´s there.. you just dont notice.
We also thought this was way cooler!

911 what?.. oh holy s.. that´s one lucky bastard. Theres even the porsche 911 from the 70s!
"CMXI" is actually just the first letter of 4 chicks i used to b.. date. And yes one was called Xena.. But this is way cooler! Thanks!
It´s like the 4 chicks - hidden in there. And not just blurped out with no mystique to it.

If its not clear - this is a watch you wear so that when your in your old sports car you look three times as cool. Apart from some rain when moving in and out of the car this watch does not belong in any watery situation. If it does it´s because you´ve just ran your car of the cliff and in that case its ok if the watch stops. This way people can see (not by the minute since it lacks that feature, but close too) when your "watch" stopped ticking as well.

Thanks for the strap comment! Really appreciate it :)
Really happy to say that non has thus far been able to show me a similar design on a strap.
(So don´t you either.. just don´t).
Last edited by Cursus Victus on October 4th 2016, 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 5:03pm

jason_recliner wrote:A chronograph for the precise measurement of elapsed time, but no minute hand. Sorry kid, I don't think so.


No child labour was used in the making of this watch.
But other than that your in luck as the left sub dial is just what you were seeking!
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 5:11pm

conjurer wrote:I don't fucking get it--do you sell the hour hand separately? I mean, I need to know the precise time, because sometimes Cinemax starts their softcore porn movies a few minutes after the hour, and I don't want to waste any jerk-off opportunities. Also, as foghorn points out above, if it ain't at least 50m water resistant, it's a no-go, because my salty jizz could infiltrate the case and totally fuck up the movement.

You should investigate these real-life issues before offering this wartche four Sail.


We can happily inform you that the watch has been tested on several uneven roads with a lot of shacking that should match your hand movement during the exercise.
As for the WR we can also inform that the fluid in question has a much greater viscosity than that of water, and would in no way penetrate the watch.

The hour hand is there - its the big orange one - pointing at aprox at 10:16 - attached just in the center of the watch.
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby conjurer » October 4th 2016, 5:15pm

Cursus Victus wrote:
conjurer wrote:I don't fucking get it--do you sell the hour hand separately? I mean, I need to know the precise time, because sometimes Cinemax starts their softcore porn movies a few minutes after the hour, and I don't want to waste any jerk-off opportunities. Also, as foghorn points out above, if it ain't at least 50m water resistant, it's a no-go, because my salty jizz could infiltrate the case and totally fuck up the movement.

You should investigate these real-life issues before offering this wartche four Sail.


We can happily inform you that the watch has been tested on several uneven roads with a lot of shacking that should match your hand movement during the exercise.
As for the WR we can also inform that the fluid in question has a much greater viscosity than that of water, and would in no way penetrate the watch.

The hour hand is there - its the big orange one - pointing at aprox at 10:16 - attached just in the center of the watch.


Well, thanks for clearing that up. But what's the little smiley thing at the top, right under the 12? Is it a power reserve, or, as the Germans say, a Reserve de Marche? If so, what sort of automatic movement do you use, and if it is automatic, can the act of spilling my seed while watching Cinemax keep it wound? I'm all for self-winding wartchs!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23846
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 5:20pm

biglove wrote:Don't know squat about the offering; but, the humor is appreciated.


As I´ve understood the offering is not to be disclosed as such.
And I really did´nt come here to stuff the watch down your throat.. Since I have no idea where you live.
But more as to say "Hey! There´s a good alternative to Rolex now. And I made it!". :o
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Cursus Victus » October 4th 2016, 5:25pm

conjurer wrote:
Cursus Victus wrote:
conjurer wrote:I don't fucking get it--do you sell the hour hand separately? I mean, I need to know the precise time, because sometimes Cinemax starts their softcore porn movies a few minutes after the hour, and I don't want to waste any jerk-off opportunities. Also, as foghorn points out above, if it ain't at least 50m water resistant, it's a no-go, because my salty jizz could infiltrate the case and totally fuck up the movement.

You should investigate these real-life issues before offering this wartche four Sail.


We can happily inform you that the watch has been tested on several uneven roads with a lot of shacking that should match your hand movement during the exercise.
As for the WR we can also inform that the fluid in question has a much greater viscosity than that of water, and would in no way penetrate the watch.

The hour hand is there - its the big orange one - pointing at aprox at 10:16 - attached just in the center of the watch.


Well, thanks for clearing that up. But what's the little smiley thing at the top, right under the 12? Is it a power reserve, or, as the Germans say, a Reserve de Marche? If so, what sort of automatic movement do you use, and if it is automatic, can the act of spilling my seed while watching Cinemax keep it wound? I'm all for self-winding wartchs!


It would have been great if it was. And hopefully there will be such an edition (in a more limited edition series). But as for now price, target audience and some other secret factors made it a (rad) quartz.
("rad" means awesome).

Any tips on automatic movements that would fit the design (8.5mm from center to each subdial) would be cool to hear. :ugeek:
Cursus Victus
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 4th 2016, 12:13am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby conjurer » October 4th 2016, 5:29pm

Cursus Victus wrote:
conjurer wrote:
Cursus Victus wrote:
conjurer wrote:I don't fucking get it--do you sell the hour hand separately? I mean, I need to know the precise time, because sometimes Cinemax starts their softcore porn movies a few minutes after the hour, and I don't want to waste any jerk-off opportunities. Also, as foghorn points out above, if it ain't at least 50m water resistant, it's a no-go, because my salty jizz could infiltrate the case and totally fuck up the movement.

You should investigate these real-life issues before offering this wartche four Sail.


We can happily inform you that the watch has been tested on several uneven roads with a lot of shacking that should match your hand movement during the exercise.
As for the WR we can also inform that the fluid in question has a much greater viscosity than that of water, and would in no way penetrate the watch.

The hour hand is there - its the big orange one - pointing at aprox at 10:16 - attached just in the center of the watch.


Well, thanks for clearing that up. But what's the little smiley thing at the top, right under the 12? Is it a power reserve, or, as the Germans say, a Reserve de Marche? If so, what sort of automatic movement do you use, and if it is automatic, can the act of spilling my seed while watching Cinemax keep it wound? I'm all for self-winding wartchs!


It would have been great if it was. And hopefully there will be such an edition (in a more limited edition series). But as for now price, target audience and some other secret factors made it a (rad) quartz.
("rad" means awesome).

Any tips on automatic movements that would fit the design (8.5mm from center to each subdial) would be cool to hear. :ugeek:


I believe the now defunct Siegfried Koernhoeller und Sohne brand made such a movement, but my mind may be playing me false. This is due to my many decades of self-abuse.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23846
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby foghorn » October 4th 2016, 6:04pm

But seriously folks....what good is a chronograph with out a dedicated chrono seconds hand?

Is it laudable to be able to time a given event to about "between 3 and 4 minutes?"


And I did look for a strap like yours but nothing . Close but nothing exactly like it.
Now please answer the second hand question without cloaking it with humor.
After that we can get all clever and funny again. Pleez?
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 14898
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby codguy » October 5th 2016, 12:30am

You lost me at quartz, that and it looks kind of (gay).
("gay" means homosexual).
.

Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Beau nidle » October 5th 2016, 1:08am

Pros;
I like the initial look
~$250 plus import tax is reasonable
Strap is nice
Certainly different, plenty to talk about at a watch meet
Owner has a good sense of humour
Funding goal met - so it will probably get built.

Cons;
Funky as the design is I do need to know the time a little more accurately than 'to the nearest five minutes' at a glance. Not all of us do, but quite a lot of us do.
45mm. Bigger than 42mm is very last week and 38 to 40 is the new 'dead cat bounce' sweet spot that all the cool guys are trending to.
You put a coating on the case.
Water resistance. Even my JLC dress watch is 150m and that's an auto with complications not a quartz.

So, on balance Torgeir, it's a cool design and you have great beard, but not turning my starter handle. I wish you all the best with the project!
User avatar
Beau nidle
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 288
Joined: November 9th 2015, 9:40am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Hawk » October 5th 2016, 1:11am

conjurer wrote:
Cursus Victus wrote:
conjurer wrote:I don't fucking get it--do you sell the hour hand separately? I mean, I need to know the precise time, because sometimes Cinemax starts their softcore porn movies a few minutes after the hour, and I don't want to waste any jerk-off opportunities. Also, as foghorn points out above, if it ain't at least 50m water resistant, it's a no-go, because my salty jizz could infiltrate the case and totally fuck up the movement.

You should investigate these real-life issues before offering this wartche four Sail.


We can happily inform you that the watch has been tested on several uneven roads with a lot of shacking that should match your hand movement during the exercise.
As for the WR we can also inform that the fluid in question has a much greater viscosity than that of water, and would in no way penetrate the watch.

The hour hand is there - its the big orange one - pointing at aprox at 10:16 - attached just in the center of the watch.


Well, thanks for clearing that up. But what's the little smiley thing at the top, right under the 12? Is it a power reserve, or, as the Germans say, a Reserve de Marche? If so, what sort of automatic movement do you use, and if it is automatic, can the act of spilling my seed while watching Cinemax keep it wound? I'm all for self-winding wartchs!


So the smiley face thingie is actually a battery meter or as Kornhoeller und Sohn called it a metre de bat tree? This probably makes good solid sense as the usual battery end of life indicator is the second hand lurching its way around the dial like a drunk navigating between lamp posts. With the second hand relegated to a west coast sub dial the usual drunken stumbling might not be noticeable possibly leading to a full discharge and the bat tree blowing its innards all over the gearshapins.

So it's a hydrophobic single hand Meistersinger except with 4 hands, 3 tyme knobs and a metre de bat tree?


I believe they have taken the classic single hand watch and verschlimmbesserung the thing.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7244
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Beau nidle » October 5th 2016, 1:14am

Oh, and as a parting note, 911 has fewer motoring connotations than blowy-uppy connotations to the American market. Just saying.
User avatar
Beau nidle
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 288
Joined: November 9th 2015, 9:40am

Re: Cursus Victus - Norwegian watch brand

Postby Britboy » October 5th 2016, 7:02am

"If its not clear - this is a watch you wear so that when your in your old sports car you look three times as cool. Apart from some rain when moving in and out of the car this watch does not belong in any watery situation."

Not that it happens that often, but a couple of thoughts here..

If you have an old sports car, there's a good chance it will leak when the weather is precipitous so it would not just be getting in and out of said sports car that the watch would get damp.
Obviously you have had much better luck with old sports cars or they haven't been of the British persuasion, they are guaranteed to stop in the rain miles from anywhere and you will have to break out the box of spanners and hammers that are always in the boot, or the passenger foot well because no other person wants to be with you when you are stuck in the middle of god knows where, in the dark, in the rain
I can be sure that the watch will get wet to say the least.

How can one look three times as cool with a non functioning watch lying under said old sports car?
Last edited by Britboy on October 5th 2016, 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 619
Joined: August 22nd 2013, 10:58am
Location: Los Feliz, CA

Next

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests