Well hello.. New hobby? Sardonic Humor?

Re: Well hello.. New hobby? Sardonic Humor?

Postby Falstaff » September 9th 2016, 2:37pm

Can't go wrong with Orient.
In the space of one hour is Babylon the Great thrown down. Not a stone remained standing upon another and the reek of her burning did poison all the earth and the smoke thereof did blot out the sun so that noon-day did appear as midnight. Alas Babylon!
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » September 9th 2016, 3:55pm

I always thought this was kind of wrong.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Lost » September 10th 2016, 9:18am

So to order this, I paypal the nearly $400, and it gets fedexed. There are warnings about customs and duties, how does that work, and how much are they? Will it it get held up, and I have to go somewhere to get it out of hock, or ?
Sorry, just never have gone down this road before.
Lost

Postby bedlam » September 10th 2016, 9:30am

Lost wrote:So to order this, I paypal the nearly $400, and it gets fedexed. There are warnings about customs and duties, how does that work, and how much are they? Will it it get held up, and I have to go somewhere to get it out of hock, or ?

You got pinged for duties? Aww, man you never should have done it. The whole thing is doomed :shock:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » September 10th 2016, 9:35am

Lost wrote:So to order this, I paypal the nearly $400, and it gets fedexed. There are warnings about customs and duties, how does that work, and how much are they? Will it it get held up, and I have to go somewhere to get it out of hock, or ?

I've ordered plenty from Asia, including watches that cost far more, and I've never been dinged for customs or duties--indeed, the only time I've had to pay duties (which for a $400 would be pretty minimum) was when I ordered from Europe. I think one or two times I ordered from Asia the item got stuck in customs for a day or two, but it was released pretty quickly.

Watches88, which I've bought from several times, is OK and is the same as ordering anything online--like I said, though, shipping from KL can be a little slow at times, but their communication seems to be fine.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 10th 2016, 9:37am

bedlam wrote:

You got pinged for duties? Aww, man you never should have done it. The whole thing is doomed :shock:

Smartass! It's not like he's ordering a bust of Karl Marx over here!!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » September 10th 2016, 9:59am

For a pilot, I find it sad you are wigging out about a cheap watch purchase and possibly having to pay peanuts for customs!

Do yourself a favor and simply purchase a single pre-owned Breitling GMT, wear it every day & call it quits. Or better yet, simply use your cell phone and the clock on your instrument panel and be done. You can thank me later.

FFS, this thread had turned into one of the gayest we have had in a while. OP, perhaps you should start a separate thread titled "I want to purchase a cheap watch but am concerned about overseas customs" then follow it up with a thread "What are the laws of diminishing return in watch purchases?"

The truly nice thing about integrated strap/bracelet watches..... it prevents someone from fucking them up with a gay NATO strap.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 10th 2016, 10:15am

tiktok wrote:I always thought this was kind of wrong.

Yup. The Orient Star Retro-Future series is one of those things I can't really explain; obviously they sell well, or Orient wouldn't keep making 'em. I had one of them come through for one of the auctions a while ago, and it was certainly well made (and looked better in the metal than they photograph), but they're certainly not my thing.
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby Lost » September 10th 2016, 10:44am

codguy wrote:For a pilot, I find it sad you are wigging out about a cheap watch purchase and possibly having to pay peanuts for customs!

Do yourself a favor and simply purchase a single pre-owned Breitling GMT, wear it every day & call it quits. Or better yet, simply use your cell phone and the clock on your instrument panel and be done. You can thank me later.

FFS, this thread had turned into one of the gayest we have had in a while. OP, perhaps you should start a separate thread titled "I want to purchase a cheap watch but am concerned about overseas customs" then follow it up with a thread "What are the laws of diminishing return in watch purchases?"

Wind me. Or wait. Was it blow me? Gay like that?
A) Brietling GMT never really flipped my flopper.
B) I'm not concerned at all about the customs $$, what I was concerned with (if you have your reading glasses on) was the process of how that happens.
C) Better wait for the thanks.

D) I got lost once. They don't pay me as much.
Lost

Postby Tzimisces » September 10th 2016, 10:57am

conjurer wrote:
Lost wrote:So is this watches88 place 100% approved with you guys? I think I am going to pull the trigger on the first one in this thread. (Leather band one)

I've bought several watches from W88, no problems at all. They're located in KL, so shipping can be a little slow, like a week or two.

I too am an Orient fanboi, and I have bought a few from Watches 88.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » September 10th 2016, 11:37am

Lost wrote:
codguy wrote:For a pilot, I find it sad you are wigging out about a cheap watch purchase and possibly having to pay peanuts for customs!

Wind me. Or wait. Was it blow me? Gay like that?
A) Brietling GMT never really flipped my flopper.
B) I'm not concerned at all about the customs $$, what I was concerned with (if you have your reading glasses on) was the process of how that happens.
C) Better wait for the thanks.

D) I got lost once. They don't pay me as much.

Ignore Cod, somebody pissed in his Cheerios today, again.

Never an issue with a Japanese/Asian watch getting tagged in customs. German watches are another story.

If it does happen FedEx will just send you a bill for the customs fee and you pay them.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Lost » September 10th 2016, 11:41am

Thanks Mate. That's basically what I was looking for. :)

Also, I guess cheap is all relative. I've seen some watches bandied about that go for multiples of 100K. To someone buying that, any Rolex would come off cheap, eh?

400 bones for a watch is not so cheap, I never paid more than $50 for one before. :D

New hobby and all that.
Lost

Postby foghorn » September 10th 2016, 11:49am

Orient is a stepping stone to Smiths.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » September 10th 2016, 11:57am

foghorn wrote:Orient is a stepping stone to Smiths.

conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby Lost » September 10th 2016, 1:16pm

Done. Good call Conjurer!

Orient owes you a beer!
Lost

Postby conjurer » September 10th 2016, 1:23pm

Lost wrote:Done. Good call Conjurer!

Orient owes you a beer!

You done good, Lost. Have a beer on me. Just remember, if you get really drunk before you have to fly, make sure you drink a big cup of hot coffee.
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 10th 2016, 3:07pm

conjurer wrote:
Lost wrote:Done. Good call Conjurer!

Orient owes you a beer!

You done good, Lost. Have a beer on me. Just remember, if you get really drunk before you have to fly, make sure you drink a big cup of hot coffee.

Wasn't that what Sullenberger said?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » September 10th 2016, 8:46pm

Yeah fedex usually rings u up for a couple hundred on a watch coming from malaysia....
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Lost » September 12th 2016, 9:30pm

I found this a bit curious.
The watch I ordered here is called a constellation:
http://www.watches88.com/pd-orient-cons ... 05003w.cfm
Amazon has it here (for 20% more) and calls it a Polaris: https://www.amazon.com/ORIENT-Polaris-R ... orient+gmt
Sure look the same.
Even the Orient USA site calls it a Polaris
http://orientwatchusa.com/shop/mens-watches/fdj05003w0/
Also notable, it is out of stock everywhere but watch88!
AND..... They have had the order for a few days and no ship/ tracking.
Last edited by Lost on September 12th 2016, 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost

Postby conjurer » September 12th 2016, 9:56pm

Lost wrote:I found this a bit curious.
The watch I ordered here is called a constellation:
http://www.watches88.com/pd-orient-cons ... 05003w.cfm
Amazon has it here (for 20% more) and calls it a Polaris: https://www.amazon.com/ORIENT-Polaris-R ... orient+gmt
Sure look the same.

They probably are the same. Orient Watch Co. Ltd, aka Orient Japan, where they're made, doesn't name the different models of watches. They simply assign an obtuse model number, which varies from market to market, and is completely impossible to figure out. Most of the names given to Orient watches come from either the WIS community, such as the "Mako," or by the dimwits who market Orients in the USA, which is either Orient USA or Puritime, depending, like the model numbers, on the day of the week.

Now, it should be mentioned that the guy who runs OUSA--Joey, or Floyd, or whateverthefuck--is a total retard. During a period when mechanical watches--particularly well made, cheap-as-chips mechanicals--were going through a gigantic rebirth, Joey (or Floyd) was able to so totally fuck up the marketing of Orients in the USA that, apart from the WIS forums, literally nobody else in North American knows what the fuck Orients are. For quite awhile, Joey (or Floyd) ran 50% off coupon codes at the OUSA website, which no doubt moved a bunch of watches but also succeded in devaluing the brand to the point where nobody in North American understands or believes in the actual worth of Orient watches.

After awhile, Orient Japan, where they take things like MSRPs a little more seriously, leaned on Joey/Floyd and got him to back down, at least to the point where he was offering only 20-30% off MSRPs. By then, the damage was done. Now, if you want to buy interesting or higher-end Orients, you have to go JDM or through an AD like Watches88. Also, Joey/Floyd started issuing absurd names to the watches he carried, like the "Star-Seeker", which was the upper level Orient Star GMT, or, inexplicably, the "Bambino," a dress watch.

To this day, in the US, most people will see an Orient on your wrist and think nothing of it. However, when a WIS sees it, he'll nod, and perhaps even strike up a conversation, even if he's a billionaire like Smellody who drives a Roller and wears a gold Rollie.
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » September 12th 2016, 10:13pm

conjurer wrote:To this day, in the US, most people will see an Orient on your wrist and think nothing of it. However, when a WIS sees it, he'll nod, and perhaps even strike up a conversation, even if he's a billionaire like Smellody who drives a Roller and wears a gold Rollie.

Damn straight. Anyone wearing an Orient is likely to be smarter than the average bear when it comes to watches.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » September 13th 2016, 7:15am

The thinner bezel and Roman numerals on the Constellation are undoubtedly what makes it cost an extra $100. Those Roman numerals are freaking expensive...just try finding a genuine Roman in Nippon. You'd have more luck finding Gojira.
In the space of one hour is Babylon the Great thrown down. Not a stone remained standing upon another and the reek of her burning did poison all the earth and the smoke thereof did blot out the sun so that noon-day did appear as midnight. Alas Babylon!
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Lost » September 17th 2016, 4:08pm

Only had it on my wrist a few hours, but friggin love it!

I get it! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lost

Postby Racer-X » September 17th 2016, 4:11pm

Well done, that's gorgeous. Some sage advice right there.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » September 17th 2016, 4:56pm

Sweet new watch Lost! Congrats and enjoy!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself