Hello from South Africa

Re: Hello from South Africa

Postby gerdson » June 9th 2016, 9:06pm

Welcome, Peter.
I enjoyed my travels to Jo'burg. But then I never got mugged...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » June 9th 2016, 9:12pm

Welcome to Watchlords, Peter. So sad to hear that South Africa has fallen into near chaos, and sadder still that you feel uncomfortable wearing that amazing collection for fear of losing it. Those Cartier Pasha's are simply amazing, as is the rest of your stable of thoroughbreds. I own a 'Zilla, and Old Fogy is right; they make excellent blunt force trauma-inducing wrist accessories. ;)

Normally I'd recommend that you emigrate to the USA, but given the two mental patients who are about to be nominated by their respective parties, there's not much to look forward to here. I'm in the process of seeing if the Falklands will take me, and I'll let you know the outcome as soon as I hear back from them... :?

Again, welcome to the deep end of the [cess]pool. Very glad to see you here; post early and often! 8-)
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » June 9th 2016, 9:39pm

Mort have you considered aliyah and most appropriately retiring on the Dead Sea?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » June 9th 2016, 11:11pm

tiktok wrote:Mort have you considered aliyah and most appropriately retiring on the Dead Sea?

Well, I did get a job offer in Haifa...but that particular Micky-D's hasn't opened yet. :?
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Nuvolari » June 9th 2016, 11:48pm

Welcome friend! Fantastic collection... Including the elusive Oysterquartz, I'm always tickled to see one in the wild. I like those cases (though, I dislike quartz, it was still the Next Great Thing back then :) )
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby peturbed » June 10th 2016, 1:12pm

Nuvolari wrote:Welcome friend! Fantastic collection... Including the elusive Oysterquartz, I'm always tickled to see one in the wild. I like those cases (though, I dislike quartz, it was still the Next Great Thing back then :) )
Thanks so much - I love the Oysterquartz - the movement is a true work of art - even though in general I'm no fan of batteries. Appreciate the welcome.
peturbed

Postby peturbed » June 10th 2016, 1:15pm

Mortuus wrote:Welcome to Watchlords, Peter. So sad to hear that South Africa has fallen into near chaos, and sadder still that you feel uncomfortable wearing that amazing collection for fear of losing it.

Normally I'd recommend that you emigrate to the USA...

Again, welcome to the deep end of the [cess]pool. Very glad to see you here; post early and often! 8-)

Thanks so much for the welcome. You guys are actually much more polite than I thought! Well we have to get out of here...the exchange rate rules out Europe and the US...not at R15.25 to 1 US dollar...but Malaysia is a real option...and they have lots of watches there!
peturbed

Postby peturbed » June 10th 2016, 1:16pm

gerdson wrote:Welcome, Peter.
I enjoyed my travels to Jo'burg. But then I never got mugged...

Count yourself as bloody lucky!
peturbed

Postby peturbed » June 10th 2016, 1:18pm

bedlam wrote:Welcome Peter.

South African? Thats a bit boering.

And what's with the 'Proteas' ???? Who ever inflicted that on you guys needs to be whipped in public.

Haha...I think that there are quite a few people here who could be whipped in public. And that's the least of it!
peturbed

Postby Falstaff » June 11th 2016, 9:35am

Welcome Peter. Have an old 3/4 size Speedking myself, although mine dates from 1943- 44 or so. My dad won it in a drawing at a PX in Lens, Belgium, wore it daily until 1976 when he retired and was given a 218 Accutron (which I also have). Regrettably had to have the dial refinished as it was peeling badly, but did retain the hand set in original condition. Classic stuff. Nice group you've got there. Pity about Joburg et al - used to be a pretty place.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Previous

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself