Hello to the Lords!

Hello to the Lords!

Postby horn_doc » April 21st 2016, 1:24pm

Well it has taken me a few years of just lurking around this forum to finally work up the nerve to join and introduce myself. The WL forum was the first place I stumbled across several years ago when I got bitten by the watch collecting bug. It's the only forum I ever spend time at due to the fantastic information and lively banter shared by the members here. I would like to thank this group for steering me from the path of Invictas and Stuhrling Originals. As someone brand new to collecting these brands caught my eye but I soon found out( from this group) that there are many higher quality watches out there.
I live on the wind swept prairies of North Dakota about and hour away from the Canadian border. I repair band instruments for living. My collection started off with a Stuhrling Original from the Herrington catalog. I learned later that the reason I liked the style of the watch was because it was a Hublot homage. I bought a Invicta in Vegas that was sold to me as an automatic. When I got home I realized it was a mechanical and the first time I wound it and set the time the stem fell out. So again, I thank this fine group of watch enthusiasts for showing me a better way!
I don't have the budget to collect the high end watches like a lot of the members here. The jewel of my collection thus far is a Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m quartz that I picked up in Vegas at the Tag outlet store. I have some Orients, and small collection Reactors just because they are tough and I like the style. My grail so far would be the Rolex Explorer II which I visit whenever we are in Vegas. But it will take many a clarinet overhaul to ever actually own one. Thank you to the Watch Lords for allowing me to try my luck at being a member here.
horn_doc
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Hello to the Lords!

Postby tiktok » April 21st 2016, 1:26pm

Welcome!
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » April 21st 2016, 1:30pm

Hey there horn_doc. Great intro post and welcome. Hope to see more of your collection.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » April 21st 2016, 1:33pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Welcome!

Post some pics of your collection when you have some time.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 21st 2016, 1:37pm

Hi from NYC. Welcome to the deep end of the pool.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » April 21st 2016, 1:41pm

Nice intro. Welcome aboard!
I once bought s Stauer, so you ain't alone in having wasted money while learning.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 21st 2016, 2:05pm

What kind of pads do you prefer for saxophones? Leather or neoprene?

Welcome

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » April 21st 2016, 2:17pm

Welcome, goddamn it!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » April 21st 2016, 3:22pm

The inmates run the asylum here..welcome!!
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby hcharles » April 21st 2016, 4:28pm

Welcome to the Lords. From Nord Akota eh? Spent 30+ years living in Fargo. Have fun, and feel free to share some pics of your watches or whatever. Got lefse?
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » April 21st 2016, 4:50pm

Good on ya for taking the leap and joining in horn doc. You should start saving for an avatar now cos they ain't cheap ;-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 21st 2016, 5:22pm

Hidey-ho!

Nice intro. Post some pics.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » April 21st 2016, 7:16pm

Welcome to WatchLords. One winter working the oil fields of the Williston Basin convinced me to move on. Hardy bunch there-I think you'll be fine here.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby codguy » April 22nd 2016, 4:04am

Welc.

Just remember; One quality watch > ten wartches

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » April 22nd 2016, 5:41am

Welcome.
Whet your watch jones here to get things rolling. You will not get hosed. Fair watches with fair pricing.
Love that bass
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » April 22nd 2016, 11:34am

Welcome. Buy the watch you like and can afford. I own Androids, a few Invictas, a Casio, a Deep Blue, and a Seiko. I enjoy what I have. It's your own opinion that matters.
I woke up this morning to discover a photo of myself sleeping. I live alone.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 22nd 2016, 1:05pm

Wasp wrote:Welcome.

Where's Eric Dolphy??

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby 3Flushes » April 22nd 2016, 1:20pm

Glad you decided to mix in; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby spanky1 » April 22nd 2016, 4:04pm

Welcome to the Dark Side horn.
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » April 22nd 2016, 5:53pm

Is this for real? I'm the real Dr. Smellody.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Wasp » April 23rd 2016, 5:39am

foghorn wrote:
Wasp wrote:Welcome.

Where's Eric Dolphy??

Whole different league...virtuoso and glorious keying.

Brief sidetrack but it does nurse my aching head this AM.
Apologies to doc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimpUKVAbY8[/youtube]
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby horn_doc » April 23rd 2016, 6:41am

Thanks for all of the howdy do's! That is some great bass clarinet action. And yes we have lefse up here! Ya sure ya betcha....
horn_doc
Senior Member & WIS

Postby horn_doc » April 30th 2016, 2:29pm

foghorn wrote:What kind of pads do you prefer for saxophones? Leather or neoprene?

Welcome

I haven't seen rubber sax pads since the Bundy Adjust-a-pads from years ago. So I would have to say I prefer leather and sometimes kangaroo leather sax pads.
horn_doc
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 30th 2016, 4:01pm

horn_doc wrote:
foghorn wrote:What kind of pads do you prefer for saxophones? Leather or neoprene?

Welcome

I haven't seen rubber sax pads since the Bundy Adjust-a-pads from years ago. So I would have to say I prefer leather and sometimes kangaroo leather sax pads.

Back in the 70's a couple Boston area sax doctors were using them with big resonators. They sounded great but never caught on.

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » May 10th 2016, 11:20pm

Please excuse my lateness to the dance, Doc Hornology. As they say in bonnie awl Scotland, "welcome to de Lards, boyo." Yours was a truly excellent intro post, and I enjoyed it like one enjoys a fine kangaroo flight jacket with paintings of Donald Duck flying an auto-gyro artfully painted on the back. You will, of course, be expected to post both consistently and bodaciously, else The Great Speckled Bird of Pathology will excise you like a boil from an infected scrotiferous tissue. Please don't let this happen to you, oh please, oh please. People will talk. They'll point. They'll laugh. And, worst of all, they will send their horns to places in the THIRD WORLD to have them repaired and drained of copious amounts of runneling spit that can be traced all the way back to Grandpa Walton on Walton's Mountain, when he used to toot his bassoon to get Gramma Walton in the mood to rut. But I digress...

Again, welcome.

And now, I think that you and Foggy need to go get a room somewhere...please. :?
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Welcome! Introduce Yourself