An Astronomical Skeleton Clock

An Astronomical Skeleton Clock

Postby koimaster » June 30th 2017, 8:24am

On the cover of the October 2003 issue of Horological Journal was a beautiful great-wheel skeleton clock by the firm Buchanan. clocks@buchananesq.com . I was interested to see if the firm was looking to sell this clock. After some discussion it was learned that this company was looking to have specialty commissions. Both I and a friend of mine were interested in hiring the firm and it was decided that he would initiate the first commission. That has since been completed and was featured in the April 2006 issue of Horological Journal - a magnificent wall hanging regulator featuring dual counter swinging pendulums and movements based on Breguet's famous design, but including a unique escapement and remontoire system.
I wanted my commission to be unusual and unlike anything built before. My three guiding principals for the clock were that it had to have scale (an imposing presence), movement (many things happening to catch the eye) and complexity. Of course it had to look beautiful incorporating all the basics of good design and fabrication techniques as demonstrated by the master clock makers of the 18th - 19th centuries. All to maximize visual impact. What you see here is a full scale mockup done in wood of what has now begun to be manufactured in metal. The overall size of the movement is 25"w x 29"h x 16"d. With the stand and case 36"w x 77" h x 24" d. Including the weights it's mass will be about 600-700 lb. No expense has been spared in the design. It is my belief that this firm is possibly unique in it's ability to build such a challenging project and to apply the high standards expected for such a monumental effort.

http://www.my-time-machines.net/my_current_project3.htm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Clocks & Pocket Watches