Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Micro-Brands discussed here

Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby Racer-X » May 29th 2017, 2:46pm

by Michael Vane "Maen, the Swedish creator of high-quality affordable timepieces, has unleashed its newest design that blends both the bold and the understated with the classic and the contemporary. The Manhattan 40 wristwatch is inspired by the borough at the heart of New York City. With its leading commercial and financial sectors, a businessman must exude a certain level of confidence and style if they are to succeed in the Big Apple. Maen’s newest timepiece is the accessory that makes it happen."

Article at Man of Many


Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:26pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby Thunder1 » May 29th 2017, 3:01pm

Not a bad looking watch..
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3118
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 29th 2017, 4:02pm

The moonphase aperture floating in the middle of nowhere has me a wee bit unconvinced, but all in all, the watch looks rather nice.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 889
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby eddiea » May 29th 2017, 4:30pm

Nicely done, clean look to it...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 10669
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby foghorn » May 29th 2017, 4:40pm

Not too bad an effort. But the "moon phase" seems more of a gimmick than a complication.
Lose the moon phase and add a seconds hand and they might be onto something.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 15270
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby biglove » May 29th 2017, 5:06pm

I am betting the moon phase is actually a day/night indicator? Their KS site states otherwise. I don't believe them.

Not a bad look, not an unreasonable price; but, I don't recall info on the movement utilized and it is a KS project. The KS site states Ronda quartz. There are at least three different iterations offered; date, no date and moon phase.

Have seen far worse; but, their take on "gold," at least in the photos, is hideous.
Last edited by biglove on May 29th 2017, 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10212
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby foghorn » May 29th 2017, 5:09pm

biglove wrote:I am betting the moon phase is actually a day/night indicator?

Not a bad look, not an unreasonable price; but, I don't recall info on the movement utilized and it is a KS project.



Their website just states swiss quartz. Not sure which one. Probably a Ronda.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 15270
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby biglove » May 29th 2017, 5:12pm

foghorn wrote:
biglove wrote:I am betting the moon phase is actually a day/night indicator?

Not a bad look, not an unreasonable price; but, I don't recall info on the movement utilized and it is a KS project.



Their website just states swiss quartz. Not sure which one. Probably a Ronda.


Dang, you are fast Foggy. Just updated my post after perusing their KS site. It is Ronda; but, model number absent.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10212
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 29th 2017, 5:48pm

biglove wrote:
foghorn wrote:
biglove wrote:I am betting the moon phase is actually a day/night indicator?

Not a bad look, not an unreasonable price; but, I don't recall info on the movement utilized and it is a KS project.



Their website just states swiss quartz. Not sure which one. Probably a Ronda.


Dang, you are fast Foggy. Just updated my post after perusing their KS site. It is Ronda; but, model number absent.

I'd be betting on this one:
http://www.ronda.ch/en/movements/quartz-essentials/ronda-normtech-700-6000/caliber/708/
Obviously, the version in the Maen watches would have to be slightly modified (date wheel and second hand removed).

Frankly, I doubt that they have equipped a no-second movement with a moonphase module of their own, so they likely have ordered a movement with certain features removed- ordered, as Ronda doesn't seem to offer a movement without a second hand and date, and with a moonphase indicator only.

Also, with the moonphase being the key feature, I don't think they'd equip the watch with a day/night indicator posing as a moonphase. With Ronda movements not being particularly costly, I doubt that it would save them enough money to actually try to pull off a con like that.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 889
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby PiningforElgin » July 5th 2017, 11:11pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
biglove wrote:
foghorn wrote:
biglove wrote:I am betting the moon phase is actually a day/night indicator?

Not a bad look, not an unreasonable price; but, I don't recall info on the movement utilized and it is a KS project.



Their website just states swiss quartz. Not sure which one. Probably a Ronda.


Dang, you are fast Foggy. Just updated my post after perusing their KS site. It is Ronda; but, model number absent.

I'd be betting on this one:
http://www.ronda.ch/en/movements/quartz-essentials/ronda-normtech-700-6000/caliber/708/
Obviously, the version in the Maen watches would have to be slightly modified (date wheel and second hand removed).

Frankly, I doubt that they have equipped a no-second movement with a moonphase module of their own, so they likely have ordered a movement with certain features removed- ordered, as Ronda doesn't seem to offer a movement without a second hand and date, and with a moonphase indicator only.

Also, with the moonphase being the key feature, I don't think they'd equip the watch with a day/night indicator posing as a moonphase. With Ronda movements not being particularly costly, I doubt that it would save them enough money to actually try to pull off a con like that.


I tend to agree with you. moonphase, or chrono or perpetual calendar are all incredibly easy to put on a quartz watch since Casio can sell a watch under $100 that has dozens of functions
User avatar
PiningforElgin
Member
 
Posts: 269
Joined: July 2nd 2017, 11:41am

Re: Maen Highly Affordable Moonphase - The Manhattan 40

Postby Falstaff » July 6th 2017, 7:09am

That particular moon phase disc is found on any number of watches. I'd think that if you are going to name your brand "Moon" that you'd want to differentiate your offering from all the other Ronda powered moon phase discs by customizing that moon pictogram. Fucking Swedes....
"Come and take them!"
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6447
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm


Return to Micro-Brands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest