5 Reasons Collectors Like Watches From Micro Brands

Micro-Brands discussed here

5 Reasons Collectors Like Watches From Micro Brands

Postby Racer-X » May 28th 2017, 5:16am

by Ariel Adams "Before there was the Kickstarter revolution for micro brands, these tiny operations, spearheaded by single enthusiastic watch lovers, existed to bring small batches of typically well-priced watches to willing enthusiasts. Micro brands are companies that make watches which are even smaller than boutique brands. These hobby-style watch brands typically include one person or a small team and suppliers who produce their products for them. Right now they are experiencing a little bit of a golden age with consumers, and I felt it might be an interesting discussion to identify why watch buyers seem to swoon for these startups and cheer loudly for these little guys."

Article at A Blog To Watch
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: 5 Reasons Collectors Like Watches From Micro Brands

Postby Tzimisces » May 28th 2017, 5:34am

Don't see a lot of swooning and cheering for microbrands here.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 28th 2017, 5:47am

What's a "micro-brand"? :wink:
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » May 28th 2017, 7:26am

TemerityB wrote:What's a "micro-brand"? :wink:

Something used on miniature cattle.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 28th 2017, 7:32am

Tzimisces wrote:Don't see a lot of swooning and cheering for microbrands here.

I swooned over Dan Henry. I cheer him also.

Hurrah!! Dan Henry
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby SaoGage » May 28th 2017, 7:50am

Personally, I feel like most microbrands design watches purely from a spec sheet without realizing that a watch is more than the sum of its parts. They appeal to the crowd that likes to complain about the Sumo lacking sapphire. So called "catalogue watches" are antithetical to what makes watches fascinating to me, you can't just pick a few components off a shelf with a hodge podge design "inspired by" 50 other watches and end up with something compelling.

I understand that ostensibly makes me a snob, but this is something that's difficult to articulate yet clearly intuitable. I want to say I'm glad they exist for people that want bang for the buck, but I can't commit to that sentiment because I don't truly believe they offer that. I wouldn't trust a 500m microdiver on an actual dive over an SKX007.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 28th 2017, 8:54am

SaoGage wrote:Personally, I feel like most microbrands design watches purely from a spec sheet without realizing that a watch is more than the sum of its parts. They appeal to the crowd that likes to complain about the Sumo lacking sapphire. So called "catalogue watches" are antithetical to what makes watches fascinating to me, you can't just pick a few components off a shelf with a hodge podge design "inspired by" 50 other watches and end up with something compelling.

I understand that ostensibly makes me a snob, but this is something that's difficult to articulate yet clearly intuitable. I want to say I'm glad they exist for people that want bang for the buck, but I can't commit to that sentiment because I don't truly believe they offer that. I wouldn't trust a 500m microdiver on an actual dive over an SKX007.

Possibly the most succinct and cogent statement against micros ever penned. A 007 engenders respect and faith in its utility because it isn't a micro; instead, it's a product designed and manufactured by an established company that, over many years, has remained true to it's objective--let's make a real dive watch for cheap. Micros don't have that, and they never will.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » May 28th 2017, 9:09am

There are a few that are okay IMO. I've had some but have sold most of them. It had more to do with me being over the "tool diver" phase of collecting than anything wrong with them. Interestingly, I must have amazing taste because the micros I sold are the only watches I have sold for more than I paid. So I can't say I agree on the bang for the buck part. Some do offer something interesting but most do not. Value, originality, design quality and other factors run the gamut on micros just as they do with the macro brands. It's fairly easy to tell which ones are designed with some original thought and which ones are frankenwatches. Designing a watch is like writing a book or a blog, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » May 28th 2017, 9:13am

If they bring more people to enjoy and be interested in traditional watches, I'm all for it.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » May 28th 2017, 9:17am

foghorn wrote:

Hurrah!! Dan Henry

Did you? Did you literally swoon? (not that there's anything wrong with that)
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » May 28th 2017, 9:38am

I can't bad mouth them, they keep people from or get people out of buying tv watches.
I have a Prometheus dive watch, I liked the way it looked, gray dial and orange highlights. It's nothing to brag about, it just looks nice.
If the Crepas Deco master was smaller, I'd have it. I love that watch.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 28th 2017, 9:50am

Tzimisces wrote:
foghorn wrote:

Hurrah!! Dan Henry

Sure did. I dropped like a sack of potatos when I got my first one. I made sure I was seated when I ordered another. It was Swoon River over here. The swoon hit my eye like a big pizza pie. I did a damn swoon dance, I did. All I needed was an RC cola and a swoon pie.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » May 28th 2017, 9:55am

Plenty of excellent micros out there, they appeal to the crowd that know a good thing when they see one (the same crowd that complains about the Sumo's crappy crystal and disproportionate smallish bracelet , some examples of superbly made micros...
Damasko, Sinn, Crepas, PITA, Vintage VDB, etc. etc...on a side note, I'll take a MKII Kingston every day of the week and twice on Sunday, over any Seiko MarineMaster
Last edited by eddiea on May 28th 2017, 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby jaw » May 28th 2017, 1:52pm

Personally swooning over a recent Magrette MPP Steel here. I can't always afford what I want and Micros tend to scratch that itch for me. I enjoy acquiring unique designs at a good value. Yes, their homage approach does satisfy the occasional need for that iconic essence out of reach. If respectfully executed and/or extended I have no problem with it, while fully aware that there is no replacement for the genuine article. Although I'm not one to jump on any micro simply for their sake, careful research and scrutiny can bring much satisfaction to the hobby. My top two favorites are Halios and Magrette at this point, even Gavox has my interest lately. In my book, there's plenty of room for anyone that wants to produce a good watch at a reasonable price.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 28th 2017, 2:59pm

Jaws: As usual, the voice of reason.

I dunno. I'm just not and never will be attracted to micros. And as I get older, I've become more and more attracted to not only the established brands, but also in walking into an AD and buying anything over $500 that way.

But then again...I've written here a whole bunch in the past: Under $500, buy and enjoy whatever it is you like. And maybe that's what micro fans are looking for: Good values under that price point. Which makes me full of shit up to my eyeballs.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » May 28th 2017, 4:39pm

foghorn wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:
foghorn wrote:

Hurrah!! Dan Henry

Sure did. I dropped like a sack of potatos when I got my first one. I made sure I was seated when I ordered another. It was Swoon River over here. The swoon hit my eye like a big pizza pie. I did a damn swoon dance, I did. All I needed was an RC cola and a swoon pie.

Clearly a man passionate about his watches.
Cheers.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 28th 2017, 5:17pm

Well, Sinn isn't really a micro-brand; a micro wouldn't have won the contract for the flyback chronographs for the Bundeswehr, a contract shared with Heuer. They also had a partnership with Breitling, which included the license for Sinn to produce clones of the Navitimer (which Sinn still holds). It's more of a niche brand, which appeals mostly to the WIS, but is hardly known to the general public - and really, no idea why, as their watches tend to offer really good value for the money.

As to micro-brands as such, I guess the last part of the article sums it up pretty well - their appeal has a lot to do with the fact of owning something less common for less money. And since the micro-brands are mostly WIS-oriented, their watches are more likely to make the average WIS drooling. What I don't like about the article, is that they don't quite seem to distinguish between a micro-brand and a startup. Both are small by definition, but throwing a very small, but established company into the same category as a Kickstarter project developed in a shed a week ago seems somehow unfair.

As to Dan Henry, I am drooling at the mere sight of the 1970 "Super-Compressor" diver- if it only wasn't US-based (import charges at a hair over a quarter of the combined worth of the price and north of $100 worth of shipping- no, thanks), I wouldn't run to the flea market for another vintage, and I would likely break my vow not to buy anything contemporary. I would probably even forgive it the 44mm diameter - and there are very, very few watches , of which i could say the same.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 28th 2017, 6:39pm

Sinn and Damasko both do business through pretty standard business channels with ADs and distribution.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » May 29th 2017, 5:00pm

tiktok wrote:Sinn and Damasko both do business through pretty standard business channels with ADs and distribution.

Criteria to define what truly constitutes a micro-brand varies widely , from the annual production numbers to the solely use of outsorces parts, to the use of BM or Web dealers, depending on who you ask ....
I stand by my opinion the the mentioned brand names are micro-brands.....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 29th 2017, 5:16pm

I agree with Damasko fitting the micro mode , but Sinn has some numbers and facilities that put it out of the Micro territory
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 29th 2017, 5:29pm

Should anyone be interested in the annual production figures for various brands, here's something interesting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/2ia71q/production_really_interesting_figures_for/
The statistics are from 2013, and I've no idea how have they changed in the last 4 years.

Sinn has manufactured approximately 12500 watches in 2013. Damasko- a fraction of that, approx. 1500 pieces.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 29th 2017, 5:46pm

Tissot is the Godfather.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » May 29th 2017, 7:26pm

I don't think Sinn or Damasko qualify as micro's any more. Sinn production numbers are too high and Damasko makes its own movement and cases.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 29th 2017, 7:48pm

Nicolas Maduro has spoken.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 29th 2017, 7:50pm

To quasi-quote Potter Stewart: I can't describe what a micro brand is, but I know one when I see one.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Micro-Brands