Christopher Ward's new Orange Monster & Doxa History

Micro-Brands discussed here

Christopher Ward's new Orange Monster & Doxa History

Postby Racer-X » May 10th 2017, 4:03pm

by Victor Marks "Christopher Ward has a limited edition watch in the Trident diver series, and we have to get it out of the way – it’s unapologetically orange."

Article at Wrist Watch Review
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Christopher Ward's new Orange Monster & Doxa History

Postby conjurer » May 10th 2017, 4:08pm

I like it!! And the fact that it probably pisses off Carl is an added benefit.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 10th 2017, 4:17pm

Racer-X wrote:by Victor Marks "Christopher Ward has a limited edition watch in the Trident diver series, and we have to get it out of the way – it’s unapologetically orange.

The new Christopher Ward C60 Trident 316L Limited Edition joins a tradition of orange dive watches dating back to 1964.

Doxa pioneered the orange dial, and put the US Navy’s no-decompression table on the bezel. How did they arrive at orange, at a time when every dial was either black, white or silver? Several colors were be tested: red, yellow, turquoise and perhaps most importantly, orange. The testing was not performed at sea, but in the purifying waters of Lake Minnetonka the nearby Lake Neuchatel. As it happened, orange was found to be the most legible dial color, down to a depth of 30 feet. The bright color and big minute hand made reading the dive watch underwater easier. This was a pretty radical move, and it opened the door for other brands to begin experimenting with color."

Darn , after all these years...same bullshit , really?
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 10th 2017, 4:27pm

eddiea wrote:
Racer-X wrote:by Victor Marks "Christopher Ward has a limited edition watch in the Trident diver series, and we have to get it out of the way – it’s unapologetically orange.

The new Christopher Ward C60 Trident 316L Limited Edition joins a tradition of orange dive watches dating back to 1964.

Doxa pioneered the orange dial, and put the US Navy’s no-decompression table on the bezel. How did they arrive at orange, at a time when every dial was either black, white or silver? Several colors were be tested: red, yellow, turquoise and perhaps most importantly, orange. The testing was not performed at sea, but in the purifying waters of Lake Minnetonka the nearby Lake Neuchatel. As it happened, orange was found to be the most legible dial color, down to a depth of 30 feet. The bright color and big minute hand made reading the dive watch underwater easier. This was a pretty radical move, and it opened the door for other brands to begin experimenting with color."

[i]Darn , after all these years...same bullshit , really?[/i]

Yep! No record of it ever being tested as claimed.

As we said, Doxa's achievements are often disregarded or forgotten, primarily because the brand went under (no pun intended) in the 1970's, where others kept the steam in their marketing machines. But this is not to say that this unique Swiss brand is not worthy of our attention, as proven by the dedicated enthusiasts and collectors of the brand. In short, the first commercially available wristwatch with a helium release valve was produced by Doxa in 1969, called the Sub 300T Conquistador, preceding the Sea Dweller by some two years. The Conquistador offered, beyond the HRV, a unique uni-directional bezel, featuring a no-decompression table. It was developed in conjunction with the US Divers Company, and it is used to help divers determine the longest time that they can spend immersed before having to head towards the surface.

The diver lines up the "0" marking on the bezel with the minute hand at the time he starts his dive–just like as he would with any normal dive watch. Once the two are lined up, the scale on the bezel indicates that, based on the depth of his dive, at what time he must terminate the dive so as to not have to take decompression stops. Staying under for any longer would mean that he cannot come to the surface in one take but he must take decompression stops instead. It was a clever idea and one that shows that professionals were involved in the making of the Conquistador. Actually, the pros liked it so much that the US Divers Company actually started exclusively marketing the orange dialed Doxa as "The US Divers Doxa".

Marketing gimmick from a now dead company. The current Doxa is a zombie brand with a watch developed for WUS and the members there. It has been proven time and time again the orange is useless without a backlight after about 20 feet. Revised history of this brand makes it no better than Invicta.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Kahuna74 » May 11th 2017, 4:30am

I like it as a desk diver,,,
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » May 11th 2017, 5:52am

Chistopher Ward

FFS

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » May 11th 2017, 7:18am

That's one helvetica of a diver.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » May 11th 2017, 7:37am

TemerityB wrote:That's one helvetica of a diver.

Ha, nice one. "Dive" watch with a logo that belongs on a purse.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » May 11th 2017, 8:25am

Even though I like orange dials, I don't like this. They have been around long enough to know the orange hype and about bezel markings. Way too much for a desk diver when there are better looking brands for the same price or cheaper.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 11th 2017, 8:49am

I like the case, the bezel...and nothing else. The hands and dial on this one are a bit cheesy.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 11th 2017, 2:40pm

I don't care for it. Nope. I don't.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby artman » May 11th 2017, 9:34pm

It don't look so bad, but it ain't worth $1000.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » May 11th 2017, 9:37pm

Wouldn't wear it if it was free. FFS, CW has jumped the damned shark.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » May 11th 2017, 9:44pm

You dumb bastards are full of shit. This is the first CW (apart from the COSC quartz chrono that came up for auction here a while ago) that gives me a boner.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Micro-Brands