From Start to Finish: Building My Custom d.m.h. Watch

Micro-Brands discussed here

From Start to Finish: Building My Custom d.m.h. Watch

Postby Racer-X » May 1st 2017, 11:11am

by W & W "A short while back, one of our readers, Marc Sirinsky, reached out to us about writing an article chronicling his experience with a small brand that likely very few people know about–Dingemans Mechanische Horloges, or d.m.h for short. His interest in writing about the company was a personal one; it had been four years–that’s right, four years–since Marc had first reached out to commission a watch, and when he emailed us he was finally just a few weeks out from receiving his long-awaited timepiece. Knowing only bits and pieces about the company myself, I was rather excited to learn more about the process behind the small Dutch outfit, and as far as I could tell there were very few other readily available accounts as detailed as the one below. So enjoy Marc’s story–From Start to Finish: Building My Custom d.m.h Watch."

Article at Worn & Wound
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: From Start to Finish: Building My Custom d.m.h. Watch

Postby abduksion » May 1st 2017, 1:17pm

And here I am thinking no one could top Invicter with their ugly designs I was wrong. Sorry Racer if this is yours.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby foghorn » May 1st 2017, 1:39pm

I'd never wait that long but it's an interesting concept.
The only thing I have an issue with is the crown. But since it's design is unique and it has an actual purpose I can give that a pass. At lest it isn't Graham-esque or doesn't protrude like those hideous onions on some aviator style watches. The attention to detail is fantastic.
Not sure how Invictas name ever came up but this is a whole other animal.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby hcharles » May 1st 2017, 1:59pm

Don't see the Invicter comparison either. Decent looking watch, and concur with Foghorn's overall assessment of it.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » May 1st 2017, 2:09pm

I found the story interesting and with an art and design background, he got exactly what he wanted. End result is not my thing, but it's not supposed to be.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » May 1st 2017, 3:22pm

Racer-X wrote:I found the story interesting and with an art and design background, he got exactly what he wanted. End result is not my thing, but it's not supposed to be.

Yup- and that's why it takes four years to get one.

That was a fun read.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » May 1st 2017, 3:42pm

Fairly typical among items with low production and high demand perhaps stirred in with a price not taking into account that which could be charged - a sort of anti-De Beers / finger in the eye of Adam Smith if you will. Dufour watches, Milt Sparks holsters and at least one local group:

Unfortunately, we do not have knives available from stock. Demand is generally so great for all models that we normally have a backlog of years. Currently, we are scheduling knife deliveries into year 2022, 5 years production.

Randall knife order limit is one knife every three months per household. The limit on extra features that may be ordered on a knife has been set to five chargeable features.

Used to be you could order a Randall for a graduation gift when the individual was accepted to a four year course. Now you have to assume all will go well before the senior year of high school.

Last I heard Philippe Dufour had grown disenchanted with his apprentices resulting in a lead time best indulged in only by the young. Milt Sparks has spent enough inhibiting speculative purchases that he may well have increased production with the money spent.

In the midst of a free market economy there will always be some small number of mavericks that price their product based on intrinsic worth resulting in an unmanageable backlog.

Bless 'em.

I'm not at all sure this guy qualifies to stand with Dufour or for that matter Randall but 4 year lead times somehow appeal to me at least in the academic sense.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » May 1st 2017, 4:33pm

I mentioned Invicta cause their known for their outlandish over the top gaudy designs hence why I mentioned them.
Just looks like something I could see Invicta doing and charging thousands for. Not saying its a bad watch just the design
looks incomplete crown at the 2 looks out of place, and It looks like its missing a bezel? But I do give the guy credit for actually
building it something I have no patience for. Than again I have no patience the smallest things have been ticking me off lately.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby codguy » May 2nd 2017, 5:26am

Fugly wartch ^

Hawk wrote: Milt Sparks has spent enough inhibiting speculative purchases that he may well have increased production with the money spent.

None better and worth the wait, I own three of them. My boss just got his first one, took about 13 months.
RIP Milt, your legacy continues.

Current carry rig.....

Cecil over.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » May 2nd 2017, 5:54am

Looks almost Russian. Seems rather crude for the dinero. The one man operation does not place it higher at any level on my appreciation registers. My kick abouts, Timex Expedition and Waterbury, are similar in appearance.

Cheers
Last edited by Wasp on May 3rd 2017, 5:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 2nd 2017, 6:43am

Some fantastic craftsmanship originated in the sheds. But this one doesn't look like a masterpiece built in a shed. It looks like a design by someone, who would find it hard to even build a proper shed.

I'm not bashing the idea behind it, I just think it doesn't exactly scream quality, and it lacks refinement.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » May 2nd 2017, 8:03am

Does he only do "wire" lugs? Those case blanks don't seem to leave much room for conventional lugs.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » May 2nd 2017, 3:55pm

While I appreciate it is hand made, it looks like a cheap Indian quartz watch. Looks, to me, like a $10 POS.

No way in hell I would cough up $5K for that, I don't care if Hans Wildorf's corpse shit matching Tiffany cuff links to go with it.

NO.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Newton watches » May 2nd 2017, 5:16pm

The watch is not that bad and i would give the overall design a 5/10, the crown does look a bit much for the watch and out of place
Newton watches

Return to Micro-Brands