Venus Watches: An Enigmatic History

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Venus Watches: An Enigmatic History

Postby koimaster » February 15th 2018, 4:38pm

Interesting article on this forum - http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.ph ... nt-1267507

The other day, whilst browsing the Forum, I came across the picture of fellow member Mart's early Venus watch which he had kindly shared with us – the relevant thread-head by Mart is entitled, “Should these hands be lumed,” and was posted on 10 February in the Watch Discussion section of the Forum. Another interesting Venus branded watch was also shown on the thread, so I decided to research and write a historical introduction to Venus watches and place it on that thread, which would have made logical sense. Unfortunately, as I was researching the topic, it became increasingly clear that there is a problem with the recorded history of Venus watches whereby from the earlier part of the twentieth century up until at least the mid-1960s, there are Venus branded watches from not one but two different Swiss sources, and it is clear that confusion has arisen as to the products, and even the history, of these two watch concerns. In this topic, I shall try to unravel the historical enigma and provide a clearer way forward for “viewing Venus,” so to speak.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Vintage Watches