Need help with this oldy but goody

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Need help with this oldy but goody

Postby artman » October 26th 2017, 5:16pm

Morning Lords. This one is from dad's collection. The hands are actually blue and the crystal on the crown is also a dark blue. I couldn't find anything on the interwebs, so if anyone has any info on this watch, please share! Thanks in advance.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Need help with this oldy but goody

Postby conjurer » October 26th 2017, 7:29pm

I know nothing about the watch, arty, but your dad was a goddamn OG sporting that nice piece of steel, no error.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » October 26th 2017, 7:51pm

Can't wait for the vintage experts to chime in.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » October 26th 2017, 8:10pm

conjurer wrote:I know nothing about the watch, arty, but your dad was a goddamn OG sporting that nice piece of steel, no error.

No arguments there, but it's a tiny ladies watch and my mom didn't really care for it so it sat in a box for the longest time. Fortunately for my wife it fit her dainty wrist, so it's hers now and she loves the way it looks! Surprisingly, it started right up with a couple turns of the crown and it seems to be keeping time alright.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » October 26th 2017, 9:34pm

The movement (Bulova 6AF) can be found on Ranfft.
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?12&ranfft&0&2uswk&Bulova_6AF
It is originally built by FHF (Fabrique d'Horlogerie Fontainemelon), between 1925 and 1936 (though these dates always need to be taken with a grain of salt, it will tell You which era it is from). Fontainemelon is in Switzerland, so it is genuine Swissish.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » October 27th 2017, 1:25am

The American Standard hallmark reflects the case maker, The American Standard Watch Case Company, which may have been founded as early as the 1880's in NYC.. The ASWCC trademark appears to have been owned after 1921 by Joseph Bulova who initially manufactured watches in Biene, Given the Swiss movement with the Bulova Watch Co mark, your watch was likely made in the first four or five years Bulova began manufacturing watches and cases in the US--. Prior they were marked Bulova W Co, so this meshes with the 1925 end of Gerdson's timeline established for the movement. AWCC used several hallmarks which contained a coat of arms or a globe through 1924. IIRC, the coat of arms or globe may have reflected compliance with various tariffs on gold and/or imports. The plain hallmark inside of your case would indicate it was manufactured circa late '24 /'25 (which the patent date supports along with the movement's timeline) as hallmarks '26 and later again included monograms of the shield, and of a goddess in solid gold cased watches I believe.

ASWCC was well known for using the gold over copper over silver gold filled (or rolled gold) process, and given the depth of the engraving the case likely has a fairly heavy gold layer as 14K gold is relatively soft (gold filled cases made in the US were most often 10k or 12k so the gold layer could be thin and still hold up). ASWCC was one of the few companies of the day who also made 18K gf and solid gold cases reflecting Bulova's Swiss origins) which appears to have held up over the years as would be expected given their reputation for best fabricating practices.

You could probably do some research as to the manufacture date of the case as the number under the patent mark is the serial number of the case.

That's a really cool watch art, especially so given it belonged to your mom. How's she run? (The watch, that is).
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » October 27th 2017, 2:48am

Hi artman, your watch is the "Baroness", as seen in this 1926 advert. The patent for 1924 concerns the cellulose dust shield. The serial number on your case gives a date of 1926, as per the first digit. I can't see a date mark on the movement, but if there is one, it will show as one of these:

Edit- Actually, I think I can see a small triangle for 1926 just to the right of the stem detent screw.

1926 advert:

http://mybulova.com/vintage-bulova-watch-ads?title=192#

Here is the earliest mention of the ASWCC in Polk's (Trow's) companies of NY, in 1918-19.
RTN in brackets stands for "Registered Trade Name" so there should be info somewhere that shows this.

Here are some of the earliest adverts I have found (none earlier) that Bulova used regarding the "American Standard"cases.
The first is the earliest use (Dec. 1920) of the Globe logo, and the next is the earliest use (Jan. 1921) of the shield logo.

Here is the earliest use date of 1918, and registration in 1927 for the American Standard name.

A brief (!) thread I wrote about early Bulova. A lot of the Bulova info has only been seen in this linked thread.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f705/recen ... 93729.html
"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 27th 2017, 3:42am

And yet another reason why this place stands alone in the (diminishing) world of watch fora.

We can bust balls and answer the tough questions!

I'd like to order a pizza to go with no anchovies.
No anchovies? --- you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger".

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby kevco » October 27th 2017, 5:20am

Well- done research boys!
Ya'll beat me to it.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » October 27th 2017, 7:11am

Man you guys are good. I found the movement on ranfft and a one like your watch that needed work sold on eBay. It didn't work and the listing didn't have any information on it so I didn't post it.
I couldn't find anything else though.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » October 27th 2017, 7:13am

You guys are good! Thanks for the information. Amazing how much I've learned from this place.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » October 27th 2017, 7:47am

Impressive research!!!
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » October 27th 2017, 11:39am

'Masters of Time' sharing their knowledge. Excellent.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » October 27th 2017, 9:23pm

This group continues to impress and amaze. Wow.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Vintage Watches