a Respectable Vintage Watch Collection for $3k

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

a Respectable Vintage Watch Collection for $3k

Postby koimaster » July 29th 2017, 10:35am

It is a common misconception that watch collecting is reserved for the wealthy, it may have been the case in the past where information was harder to obtain, but with the internet, the wealthier are chasing after the “unicorns”, causing prices to soar while turning a blind eye to the more common but unique vintage watches, providing space for novice players who have taken an interest in horology to come out to play without breaking bank. While many of you are probably skeptical of the possibility of getting a single good Swiss made mechanical watch for under $3000, much less build a collection, there are some conditions I would like to clarify before diving deeper into the watch brands to consider, the price range they can be had for as well as what makes them so special.

Conditions (all prices in SGD):

https://wabistraps.com/blogs/journal/st ... r-3000-sgd

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: a Respectable Vintage Watch Collection for $3k

Postby AlbertaTime » July 29th 2017, 10:47am

It is very possible to build a worthwhile WIS collection for $3000, and this piece describes one very good route to that goal. Nice choice, Alain.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 29th 2017, 5:45pm

Can't argue with the choices in the article; but, I think he is a little optimistic cost to acquire.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 30th 2017, 6:07am

Meanwhile, I can and will argue with the choices in the article.

If someone is only starting a vintage watch collection, recommending an Omega as a good choice is a bit like saying, "You know, I highly recommend jogging in that minefield over there, it's got these fantastic anti-infantry mines that'll blow your bollocks off." On eBay, the amount of frankens and redials is astonishing, and is a well-known fact. At the dealers, one can only get fleeced, and at least from what I've often seen on dealers' offer on terms of vintage Omegas, they're no safer option. Omegas are fantastic watches, but vintage Omegas are a fucking minefield.

I would not argue with choosing a King Seiko, but I will with choosing a gold capped one. Read the part about the durability of gold cap? Good, now forget it- yes, it might be more durable than ordinary gold plated or gold filled, but compared to a pure stainless steel case, gold cap doesn't look so good anymore.

As to the diver... Zodiac is a great choice. IMO, a Wostok Amfibia would be a safer pick, since if it turns out to be a bad purchase, you lose something like $50-$90. But if one gets lucky with the Zodiac, yep, that's hard to argue with, as they were excellent watches.

Regarding the chronograph- the calibre 3017 was a good column-wheel movement, only the author fails to mention, that it wasn't shockproof. Chrome plated cases, of course, but that was the plague of most Soviet watches. Anyway, the Poljot Shturmanskie with the shockproof 3133 inside can be found for less than most of the Strelas.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » July 30th 2017, 8:32am

Regarding the gold capped King Seiko, I took it more as an attractive and affordable option for a gold dress watch. The high beat and build quality are the real draw here.
I think he makes a bit of a stretch with the Strela.

"It is a Russian made watch that was used by Russian cosmonaut, Aleksei Leonov during the first space walk in 1965. How’s that for space history? "

Well that's pretty good! Wait, what was that?
"While it may not be the exact model used for the space mission, this watch was made by the same company, Poljot..."
Oh.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby ocean » July 30th 2017, 9:28am

Yes it's true you can get a very nice collection of vintage watches for around 3k but let's look at the mine field that is vintage watches.

1. Fakes

2. You get a real watch but it needs to reworked i.e movement, dial, crown, stem, hands, and gaskets if water resistant. Not to mention straps , bracelet or just a link that could cost you as much as the watch. $$$$

3. Buying something it's not. Non original

Sending a newbie into the vintage market without a helping hand is just stupid. I want to see whoever enjoy what they buy. The vintage market has its pit falls and eBay makes it so easy for a newbie to lose 3k faster than buying the wrong stock.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby ocean » July 30th 2017, 9:30am

For 3k you can buy a pretty much buy a collection of decent watches of any era.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 30th 2017, 11:48am

Didn't think about the pitfalls of a new collector entering into vintage.

Optimistic article on more than just costs, then.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby kevco » July 31st 2017, 6:39am

I have a bit of experience in the 'vintage' watch game.
All I can say is get ready to spend money on service, bands, etc.
This is NOT a place for a newbie to begin with a weak conviction..you will get your heart broke and your pocket picked.
Start slow..slow, slow. Research as much as possible. As to the provided choices, I don't know. To each their own. But, buy from a reputable dealer.
kevco
Master of Time

Return to Vintage Watches