$1.00 auction finds

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

$1.00 auction finds

Postby svaglic » July 15th 2017, 10:53am

My dad went to an auction and got these two watches and an old Buck pocket knife for $1.00.
The watches need some work, they were definitely worn. The Borel doesn't work and I can't get the caseback off, I haven't had much time to mess with it so I will give it another go this evening. From what I can tell by finding another one with this dial, it is a Felsa 690. I don't think the dial is that bad, the crystal is toast though and the hands need some work.

Image

I think this one has seen better days, I think the dial needs a lot of work, I'll find out more when I take it apart. They crystal is worse than the Borel. It works though.
Image
Image

My first multi picture with Imgur. I hope I can catch on to it quick, this took forever to do.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 11:03am

For a buck?! Looks like some fun getting them restored
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10193
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby TemerityB » July 15th 2017, 2:42pm

Two watches and a pocket knife for a dollar!

We went to a bunch of area yard and garage sales today, and we didn't encounter anything close to that amazing.

It will be interesting to see what you do from this point; even if you just watch box 'em, it's pretty cool.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 13041
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby svaglic » July 15th 2017, 4:54pm

Something cheap to tinker with. If I can make some improvements then cool, if not...oh well.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby smellody » July 15th 2017, 4:56pm

What a deal!!!
   
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 4456
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby foghorn » July 15th 2017, 5:30pm

Are you an anti-bladeite?
No pics of the knife?
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 15249
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby svaglic » July 15th 2017, 7:09pm

foghorn wrote:Are you an anti-bladeite?
No pics of the knife?


I'm really not into knives. I have some left from when I was in the Army, but haven't gotten any since I've been out.
Dad is happy with his new Buck knife, it just looks like an old pocket knife to me. I'll see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 15th 2017, 7:17pm

Nice finds!

The code L8 on the rotor of the Bulova dates the watch to 1958...unless there is a later date code on the case (L9? M0?). I wonder what model is it- I tried looking it up on MyBulova.com, but there was no exact match. That dial and hands are, however, typical of the Royal Clipper models. The dial matches 1957 and 1958 Royal Clippers, only the case - especially the fancy lugs - isn't a match. Maybe bobbee - as the vintage Bulova guy - will know.

As to both the Bulova and the Borel- if it was up to me, I would leave the dials as they are- IMO, the aging on both is nice. Besides, any cleaning would cause a necessity of reluming, and relume jobs is what often goes wrong in restoration. Well, as long as the right colour of the lume is picked for the hands, it's fine, but restoring lume plots on the dial often ends in rather unattractive blobs of lume by the hour markers. Not to mention dials with lume-filled Arabic numerals, restoring that tends to be a disaster all too often...
I think that changing the crystal on both watches should do the trick- after a crystal change, even an initially (read: seen through a knackered crystal) not-so-good-looking dial tends to look completely different.

Concerning the movement of the Borel: keep in mind, that manufacturers often put different derivatives of the same movement in identical cases, and equipped them with identical dials (exempli gratia: various Tissot Antimagnetique with identical dials, but different versions of the cal. 27 under the bonnet). According to the entries for the 690 and 691 in the Ranfft archive, there could well be a 691, 696 or 698 inside- as these movements were almost identical (almost...I don't know how much that "almost" influences the interchangeability of parts, which is quite a concern with a non-running watch). Anyway, given the design of the watch, I'd say it dates to something like the late 1940s or very early 1950s, and a Bidynator from that period is a great addition to any collection- that said, congratulations on that one!

A bit of a pity about the plating loss on both watches- ehhh, them plated cases... I think that I've got only three watches, where the layer of gold is intact.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 885
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby conjurer » July 15th 2017, 7:18pm

Two watches for a dollar? This fucking nutz! And in a good way!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24441
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby svaglic » July 15th 2017, 8:37pm

Mk, here is a Bulova dial and case like I have, the hands are different though. It isn't in bad shape, but only sold for less than 50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Mens-Bu ... Sw1JhZYB~J

Here is a picture of my caseback
Image
It's actually an interesting caseback, the outer ring with the cutouts spins off, it's just a thin ring, then the caseback comes off.

The Borel has nothing on the caseback, I'm going to have to get it open to get any info. I have a couple of bidynators, I got one to use as a parts watch, perhaps I will get lucky and be able to get the Borel working.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 15th 2017, 9:03pm

So, the back is also stamped L8- that said, the watch dates to 1958 alright. I've seen that case back design before- quite interesting, I must say. Such a solution was at some point very popular in Soviet watches, and was also widely used in wrist alarm watches (Memovox, AS 1475...)- the latter is due to the fact, that a normal screw back was out of question in these, since the back had an integrated pin for the alarm, and that went a bit into the movement itself, so the back couldn't just move around. Here, I suppose that it could have simply been intended for the gasket to sit in place more securely upon opening and closing the back.

Regarding the watch sold on eBay- that's what a bad relume job looks like... I think the second hand on that watch is a replacement of a more or less correct length, as it kind of doesn't fit the rest of the watch style-wise. In a watch that has been tampered with (relumed), that wouldn't be a big surprise, since when there's one issue, one can expect the watch to be hiding some more unpleasant (in terms of authenticity) surprises.
I believe that your watch has a correct second hand.

I really look forward to seeing the watches after they get serviced- IMO, once the crystals are replaced and new straps are installed, they'll both be real lookers.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 885
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby Racer-X » July 15th 2017, 9:06pm

That's fun, the Bulova is cool.
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 9:08pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:So, the back is also stamped L8- that said, the watch dates to 1958 alright. I've seen that case back design before- quite interesting, I must say. Such a solution was at some point very popular in Soviet watches, and was also widely used in wrist alarm watches (Memovox, AS 1475...)- the latter is due to the fact, that a normal screw back was out of question in these, since the back had an integrated pin for the alarm, and that went a bit into the movement itself, so the back couldn't just move around. Here, I suppose that it could have simply been intended for the gasket to sit in place more securely upon opening and closing the back.

Regarding the watch sold on eBay- that's what a bad relume job looks like... I think the second hand on that watch is a replacement of a more or less correct length, as it kind of doesn't fit the rest of the watch style-wise. In a watch that has been tampered with (relumed), that wouldn't be a big surprise, since when there's one issue, one can expect the watch to be hiding some more unpleasant (in terms of authenticity) surprises.
I believe that your watch has a correct second hand.

I really look forward to seeing the watches after they get serviced- IMO, once the crystals are replaced and new straps are installed, they'll both be real lookers.



You, sir, are an asset to not only this site; but, to the hobby at large. How the hell do you remember all this stuff?!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10193
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 15th 2017, 9:36pm

biglove wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:So, the back is also stamped L8- that said, the watch dates to 1958 alright. I've seen that case back design before- quite interesting, I must say. Such a solution was at some point very popular in Soviet watches, and was also widely used in wrist alarm watches (Memovox, AS 1475...)- the latter is due to the fact, that a normal screw back was out of question in these, since the back had an integrated pin for the alarm, and that went a bit into the movement itself, so the back couldn't just move around. Here, I suppose that it could have simply been intended for the gasket to sit in place more securely upon opening and closing the back.

Regarding the watch sold on eBay- that's what a bad relume job looks like... I think the second hand on that watch is a replacement of a more or less correct length, as it kind of doesn't fit the rest of the watch style-wise. In a watch that has been tampered with (relumed), that wouldn't be a big surprise, since when there's one issue, one can expect the watch to be hiding some more unpleasant (in terms of authenticity) surprises.
I believe that your watch has a correct second hand.

I really look forward to seeing the watches after they get serviced- IMO, once the crystals are replaced and new straps are installed, they'll both be real lookers.



You, sir, are an asset to not only this site; but, to the hobby at large. How the hell do you remember all this stuff?!

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Biglove! As to how I remember all of that... Frankly, I don't know how. I've always been a fairly decent observer (as introverts often are), maybe that... :scratch: Plus, it's the "mileage" in terms of identifying watches at forums - trying to help someone know more, I make it my goal to provide them with as much info as I can, and I treat it as a learning experience; memorising through writing also plays a certain role in all of that.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 885
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: $1.00 auction finds

Postby bobbee » July 16th 2017, 11:48am

That's a pretty cool Bulova "Winchester", Svag! The "shadow" dial models differed slightly in that the shading was at 3-6-9-12 o'clock, as like this one below:
http://www.watchophilia.com/photogaller ... ter-1-jpg1

Here is another model matching your:

http://mybulova.com/watches/1953-winchester-7767

Brochure from 1955: http://www.watchophilia.com/vintage-adv ... -brochure/

Great watches, well worth keeping. I agree with Mike, don't restore the dials.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
User avatar
bobbee
Master of Time
 
Posts: 863
Joined: November 30th 2016, 1:01am


Return to Vintage Watches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests