Conversation w/Edward Faber - Manhattan Vintage Watch Dealer

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Conversation w/Edward Faber - Manhattan Vintage Watch Dealer

Postby Racer-X » May 20th 2017, 4:54pm

by Keith W. Strandberg "Keith W. Strandberg learns about watch collecting from downtown Manhattan jewelry and vintage watch store founder, Edward Faber.

If your name is Edward, why is your gallery called Aaron Faber?
When we were much younger, I was 23, and we were starting this business, the specter of failure was very real. We didn’t want to stigmatize my name, so we were thinking about what to name it, and in New York businesses are listed from A-Z and Aaron with two “As” would put us at the front of all the listings.

How did you get started in watches?
I got into watches kind of by accident. We were building this jewelry gallery in midtown Manhattan 42 years ago. A guy named David Saunders knocked on my door and said I should really look at American watches with great style, like Elgin, Illinois and Hamilton. I told him to go away.
He said to me, “I’ll give you 25 watches to put on your shelf,” and I was surprised that in the first two weeks, we sold about half of them. Later, I met Stuart Unger and received some tutelage from him, and I started getting really interested in vintage American watches. Within a few years, I started going to Switzerland to the auctions, and I became friends with a whole network of dealers, particularly Osvaldo Patrizzi, who owned Antiquorum, so I expanded my purview to European watches. Stuart and I wrote a book about American watches in 1988, called American Wristwatches: Five Decades of Style and Design (by Schiffer Book for Collectors). Once we did that, we were well on our way and we became known. We were the only gallery in midtown Manhattan, so we got a lot of referrals and walk-ins.

What do you like about early American watches?
I love the aesthetic form of American watches. It’s utilitarian and it’s relatively small. All these designers had to reinterpret their designs. I have a particular soft spot for Hamilton and Illinois, and remember that Hamilton bought Illinois in 1927. It’s hard to beat the porcelain dial of an early Illinois, with black circles with the numbers in the center-it’s called the telephone dial because it looks like an old rotary phone.

Article at Revolution

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Conversation w/Edward Faber - Manhattan Vintage Watch De

Postby codguy » May 21st 2017, 5:38am

That Patek Philippe is simply stunning!

codguy
ASSHAT

Re: Conversation w/Edward Faber - Manhattan Vintage Watch De

Postby TemerityB » May 21st 2017, 8:01am

Being a New Yorker, I had a long conversation with Mr. Faber about 1601 period Rolex watches at his store around the holidays. A nice and knowledgeable man - I didn't even realize it was Faber himself before he told me so. I had a great time speaking with him, and needless to say, I learned a lot.

Great link, racer. Anyone who visits NYC and watch shops needs to at least visit the Faber Gallery.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Vintage Watches