Please keep fingers crossed

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Re: Please keep fingers crossed

Postby TemerityB » May 5th 2017, 3:56pm

Great thread. Nice going, gerdy.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » May 6th 2017, 6:31am

Glad for 'ya

Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 6th 2017, 7:40am

Another nice one, gerdy. It's good to see it didn't end up on the wrist of some dago Jolly Lesbian.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Nuvolari » May 6th 2017, 11:23am

Great news to see it showed up to defend the honor of the iffy ital-postal black hole.

And what a beauty it is, too! The dial tells a story, don't refresh it... Though the pusher thing would drive me a little batty, too.

Well done, Young Man!
:bsdferqw:
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » May 6th 2017, 9:36pm

I really enjoyed this thread. Glad you got the watch, though I would never have chanced it.

About that dial though. Why wouldn't you get the dial refinished? I realize that some things shouldn't be refinished, like fine historic furniture and the like, but for other things, that's not true. No one restores a classic car, but leaves the original faded paint. Unless it's a museum piece, I don't see why the watch shouldn't be restored to it's former glory.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » May 7th 2017, 1:07am

Congrats Gerdy! That's a great looking watch!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » May 7th 2017, 5:57am

Thanks everyone!
I plan to have the dial carefully cleaned, but I would not have it refinished. It never turns out the way how it was originally.
But first the pusher. Gives me a good reason to visit a certain goldsmith...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 7th 2017, 6:17am

Frankly, I'd advise to leave the dial as is. It is heavily patinated, yes, but that's what gives it a lot of character. The mere idea of redialing is scary, and I, ever the purist, find it revolting unless it's absolutely necessary.

If it would be completely illegible, rusted, with paint flaking off- then yes, redialing would be a good idea, although still it would be better to find even a non-identical dial to fit the movement rather than have the original one repainted.

I had my '69 Zenith Sporto redialed- that's because I bought it in a ruined condition, with the original coat of paint mostly missing. It's not a horrible redial, but sometimes I wonder why didn't I look for a NOS replacement. Still, the mere fact of interfering with the dial was caused by technical issues- issues that I don't see in this Lemania.

Don't repaint it!!!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby WatchDorks.Net » May 7th 2017, 6:58am

Love it! A little touch-up here and there, but I wouldn't be radically overhauling it. The patina gives it character.

Regarding overseas and PayPal, I've been doing same for so long that I don't even sweat it any more. I've made several 4-figure+ purchases from international sellers through PayPal. There is just one golden rule to protect yourself... absolutely mandatory... do not pass go, do not collect $200:

Fund the transaction through a third-party CREDIT card. Never a bank account, never a debit card, and never your PayPal balance, even if you have the funds to cover the purchase. If you do have enough funds in your PayPal balance, just sweep the account and pay off the credit card used for the transaction. By doing this you have TWO layers of protection in the event things go sideways. First recourse are PayPal's buyer protection processes, and in the event those fail, you can then do a chargeback through your credit card (I would NOT reverse the two; always use PayPal's dispute procedures first and a direct credit card chargeback as a last resort, as a chargeback could get you on PayPal's shit list as they eat the cost if funds cannot be recovered from the seller and pay chargeback fees to the credit card company; your PayPal account could conceivably get limited/canceled).

Follow this rule and you won't have any worries.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » May 7th 2017, 9:18am

WatchDorks.Net wrote:Love it! A little touch-up here and there, but I wouldn't be radically overhauling it. The patina gives it character.

Regarding overseas and PayPal, I've been doing same for so long that I don't even sweat it any more. I've made several 4-figure+ purchases from international sellers through PayPal. There is just one golden rule to protect yourself... absolutely mandatory... do not pass go, do not collect $200:

Fund the transaction through a third-party CREDIT card. Never a bank account, never a debit card, and never your PayPal balance, even if you have the funds to cover the purchase. If you do have enough funds in your PayPal balance, just sweep the account and pay off the credit card used for the transaction. By doing this you have TWO layers of protection in the event things go sideways. First recourse are PayPal's buyer protection processes, and in the event those fail, you can then do a chargeback through your credit card (I would NOT reverse the two; always use PayPal's dispute procedures first and a direct credit card chargeback as a last resort, as a chargeback could get you on PayPal's shit list as they eat the cost if funds cannot be recovered from the seller and pay chargeback fees to the credit card company; your PayPal account could conceivably get limited/canceled).

Follow this rule and you won't have any worries.

The gospel truth - preach on, brother!
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Previous

Return to Vintage Watches