Please keep fingers crossed

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Please keep fingers crossed

Postby gerdson » April 27th 2017, 10:55am

Shipments from Italy always make me nervous. I mean - we all know the jolly lesbian sometimes seems to sit on an envelope or parcel (literally speaking), and long delays for anything John ever shipped to me were common (until recently, when moving to Denmark. So much for the fucking Deutsche Post).

However the Poste Italiane is really notorious. And it is not only them, it is also arseholes everywhere in the logistic chain, obviously stealing from or stealing whole packages... there are many ebay dealers, who will do anything but ship to Italy. Despite the fact that there are a lot of watch collectors in Italy. And watches from there are often in good condition, You can practically see the "loving touch" they received. Torino in Italy's north also hosts some expert vintage dial and bezel restoration companies, that do provide services not available elsewhere.

Anyways, I have not hunted or bought anything "real" for a while, kind of got tired. Until recently, I ran one of my standard searches for certain vintage Chronograph buzzwords, and fell for this one:

Note the movement (which was not shown in the ebay offering), but I asked the seller to send it:

This is a Lemania 27CH, basically the same movement like the Omega 321 used in the early Speedmaster (though adding a 12h counter), and it is one of the best Chronograph movements ever designed - even todays Brequet Chronograph movements go back to this design. It also looks pretty clean. The watch should be a nice 37mm and 18K.

It has been shipped, and I have a tracking number. And I feel queasy, as there are some "risk factors":
- only 80% positive feedback
- only two pictures - the upper one showing the "yellowed dial", and a blurry picture from the shiny back, incl. the image reflection of the sellers mobile phone when taking the picture
- a one sentence (!) description for a 1000K EUR watch
- an immediate acceptance of my offer for 750 EUR
- Seller incapable of English, and the stuff he runs through "google translate" is mostly illegible. Seems google translate is not good in Italian
- ebay invoice of 820 EUR, incl 70 for shipping - fair enough, as You'd think he takes the "safe path" and goes through Fedex Italy or so...
Instead he contacted me, and if I understand him correctly, he wants to give back the 70 EUR for shipping...
- and now he obviously chose the fucking cheapest way to get it sent. :shock:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Re: Please keep fingers crossed

Postby conjurer » April 27th 2017, 11:03am

It's tough getting to trust the guineas. It's real greaseball shit.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » April 27th 2017, 11:15am

Did you pay via PayPal?...maybe put Bruno & Igor on alert?
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » April 27th 2017, 1:09pm

Paypal on international can be tricky, hope it works out.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » April 27th 2017, 1:14pm

You're a brave man. That is some carrot dangling in front of the nose. I appreciate the desire for the piece. Good Luck Gerdy!
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » April 27th 2017, 1:18pm

Looks like a nice one and worth some risk. The risk is substantially reduced if the packaging is neutral.

I actually learned that from some folks in Berlin - it's all in the packaging.

http://www.atheistberlin.com/study
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » April 27th 2017, 1:25pm

Thank You, Gentlemen. Bruno and Igor are on alert, but then there is Don Luigi and Piedro Tagliano down there...

I have had to use paypal twice to "remind" sellers about their duties. But I never really had to rely on the "ultimate buyer protection". I am certain there a lot of loopholes for them to get out of the tight spot. Right now I don't think the seller is the problem anyways, but the shipping.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 27th 2017, 4:58pm

I really like the patina on that dial. I must say, Gerdson, that that's a bit of a gamble you've made there. Spending a substantial (unless anyone has ever seen 750 euro growing on a tree) amount of money without checking the hallmarks is not something I'd recommend... The movement looks OK from here (though the seller wasn't exactly generous with the resolution and size of it)- it's a Lemania CH27 indeed (CH27, not 27CH- sorry about nitpicking in that respect, however 27CH couldn't get past my OCD unnoticed). The Omega cal. 321 is indeed almost the same movement, but with the 12h counter, it's the CH27 C12.

By the usual Italian standards, you've made quite a deal. A few people that I know are very fond of buying from local antique stores in Italy, however the eBay and Chrono24 dealers tend to enjoy a reputation ranging from mediocre to dreadful. Mostly that concerns delivery (which is indeed the fault of the infamous Poste Italiane) and communication, but I've seen countless fake Speedmasters (well, not entirely fake, but the local speciality is Speedy "DON" and "220" bezel forgery, seasoned with artificial fading to the fake bezel insert- they sell faded bezels big) and Seamaster 300 sold from there.

Not to mention, that Italian "dealers" are known for absolutely dreadful overpricing. Every listing is seasoned with the sort of hype slogans, that even Hoodwinkee would be ashamed of- and that's pretty bad. Like, a few grand for adding a "fashionable Italian nickname" to the watch. But some hipster will of course be happy to overpay ten times for an "ultra rare" and very collectible Rolex "Piccolo Cazzo."
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » April 27th 2017, 8:41pm

Good luck man. I have been obsessed with an Invicta Super Compressor on watchrecon.com, it is almost flawless. The seller is in Italy though and I haven't drank enough to throw caution to the wind yet.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » April 27th 2017, 10:08pm

Well - it is a hobby, and although I have not lost a such high amount of money on a single "bad buy" yet, over the years I had to pay my dues... but: I also often (more often) got in things that turned out to be in much better condition than expected. I am pretty sure the seller here is real, otherwise he would have run with the money already, and not bother to write me 3 times with regard to mentioned amount (though I still wonder what he really wants:

QUI MI RISULTA CHE MI HAI MANDATO
820 EURO INVECE IO NE HO RICEVUTE 750
PREGO DI PROVEDERE LA RIMANEZA

The seller has been on ebay since 2009, he does not trade very often, and the bad rating explaining his "80%" comes from a customer who paid 15 EUR for shipping, while while the real cost was only 6... (inguardabile,imball.assente..sped.pagata 15 ma reale spesa 6...Attenti!) but there were never complaints about the quality of goods.

As per the Italian market, I have bought two chronographs down there, both in the price range up to 400 EUR, and a Nivada Wanderer mechanical alarm - each time with that uneasy feeling, but so far without any issues.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 27th 2017, 10:15pm

Well, I'll keep some good thoughts for you, gerdy. You got bigger balls than me.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » April 27th 2017, 10:57pm

The last watch I bought was from an "EU seller" on WUS. He had good WUS feedback so I was fairly confident. I admit there was a doubt when I found out he was shipping from Milan, Italy. Got the watch and it was a nice deal but it did take three weeks to ship. Seems the Italian post makes the US postal system look fairly efficient. Funny thing is he shipped me a manual he acquired later and it got here before the watch. Good luck.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » April 28th 2017, 12:47am

Mach dir keine Sorgen, Gerds! EBay hat Käuferschutz nur für Fälle wie diese, also wenn der Wog Bastard die Ware nicht sendet, wird er in einem Zentimeter seines miserablen Dago-Lebens geschlagen ...

AND they'll cut off his gehschlinke, too!
8-)
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » May 3rd 2017, 9:01am

Data e ora Stato lavorazione Luogo
26/04/2017 10.24 Presa in carico da Ufficio Postale Ufficio Postale VERCELLI 5 in VIA RICCARDO RESTANO 74
26/04/2017 11.58 In lavorazione presso l'Ufficio Postale Ufficio Postale VERCELLI 5 in VIA RICCARDO RESTANO 74
26/04/2017 19.04 In lavorazione presso il Centro Operativo Postale TORINO TO
27/04/2017 21.23 In lavorazione presso il Centro Operativo Postale TORINO TO
02/05/2017 05.40 Partito dal Centro Scambi Internazionale Centro Scambi Internazionale
02/05/2017 16.37 In lavorazione presso il paese estero DANIMARCA
03/05/2017 09.30 In lavorazione presso il Centro Operativo Postale

Got a notification today, I can pick it up at the postal office (or rather - our local grocery store, where Danish Post is operating a counter.)
Still uneasy over here. :???:
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby BigCheez » May 3rd 2017, 10:34am

conjurer wrote:It's tough getting to trust the guineas. It's real greaseball shit.

TMMLH, especially having just repurchased Goodfellas, this time the new 4K release. I've bought that movie three times now.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » May 3rd 2017, 2:38pm

Cripes I feel like the missus is having another blessed event.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » May 3rd 2017, 9:48pm

Wasp wrote:Cripes I feel like the missus is having another blessed event.

An orgasam?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mortuus » May 3rd 2017, 9:52pm

koimaster wrote:

An orgasam?

:chump:
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Wasp » May 4th 2017, 4:21am

koimaster wrote:

An orgasam?

Heathen.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » May 4th 2017, 9:51pm

Crap. Got to the store in time yesterday, but of course the package was locked away, and the regular store employees could not hand it out due to being a high value parcel. Been told I would have to come again during official opening hours of the postal service counter. Today until 5pm, then again on Monday... :???:
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » May 5th 2017, 7:59am

gerdson wrote:Crap. Got to the store in time yesterday, but of course the package was locked away, and the regular store employees could not hand it out due to being a high value parcel. Been told I would have to come again during official opening hours of the postal service counter. Today until 5pm, then again on Monday... :???:

High value parcel? It will undoubtedly require the presence of at least an Oberst der Post Danmark, sign,countersign, retinal scan and oath of loyalty to access this parcel. Given the unknown actual condition of the watch, perhaps the traditional greeting of the German kumpel - Gluckauf! - is in order.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » May 5th 2017, 8:42am

It turned out to be less complicated after all. :D

And I will not say anything bad about an Italian (for a while). The watch is in overall very good condition, 18K as it should be, has some funny lugs in 19mm (verdammt), with a movement looking very clean and likely recently serviced. Inside of the back lid there are various service hallmarks. The size is a perfect 37mm. Only negative thing I can say (apart from the obvious patina of the dial) is the lower pusher, which was replaced once. It is more a square than an oval, and does not fit perfectly. I will look for a replacement.

Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 5th 2017, 9:50am

The patina is actually quite lovely on this one. Any pics of the hallmarks?

The 19mm lug width is a bit of a pity, as it does narrow down the choice of strap... I think Hirsch has a fairly good choice of odd sizes.

I really don't know if a matching pusher can be sourced- hope it doesn't end with the need of having one made...

Anyway, the watch looks really great- good catch, gerdson!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby smellody » May 5th 2017, 10:08am

Lovely. Very nice. I love gold.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Falstaff » May 5th 2017, 11:06am