Just In: My 4th Tissot

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Just In: My 4th Tissot

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 23rd 2017, 5:10am

So, I've just returned from the flea market, where for $300, I have acquired this:

Well, I guess that an Omega will have to wait. "But whoa, 300 bucks for a run-of-the-mill Tissot? Are you not on the ball, Mr. Bloke?"
It so happens, that Mr. Bloke is on the ball- and it was a decent deal... for a 14k solid gold case:

The movement is a cal. 27, Tissot's famous "workhorse", dating to 1947:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Tissot_27_000

As you can see, there have been some minor changes done to it since the basic version from the 1930s, notably the movement markings were changed, the serial moved from the base plate to the barrel bridge, and the click was relocated to the other side of the ratchet wheel.

What do you think, lads and lasses? I was pretty fucking excited when buying it. Duh, you don't buy a gold watch everyday... Will need a new crystal and strap, since the crystal is worn, and the strap is fucking ghastly and of poor quality. Then again, for the time of being, it's OK.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Re: Just In: My 4th Tissot

Postby Racer-X » April 23rd 2017, 5:42am

That's nice. Will be interested to see if after the crystal is replaced. Lovely dial and seems a great price.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 23rd 2017, 5:51am

Good eye! Beautiful dial.
I like the lugs on that one.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » April 23rd 2017, 5:52am

You bet. Looking forward to see it after the alterations. Nothing like finding a real score.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » April 23rd 2017, 7:38am

I like it...the sword shaped hands compliment the overall style of the watch..
Last edited by Thunder1 on April 23rd 2017, 8:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 23rd 2017, 7:54am

Outstanding pickup, Mr. Bloke!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » April 23rd 2017, 8:20am

That is a great find, I can't wait to see it after the crystal change.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AntFarm » April 23rd 2017, 8:26am

Nice score. Great looking watch.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 23rd 2017, 1:45pm

Thanks, folks! I'll get the crystal and strap sorted out in the next two weeks, as I won't have the chance to visit my watchmaker this week. Will post an update, when it's done.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 23rd 2017, 1:58pm

Nice pickup. Gold is the tits!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » April 23rd 2017, 1:59pm

Good deal, bloke! :)
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » May 1st 2017, 1:34am

That horrible strap musta just gotten schlapped on there for display purposes - the case and the dial are teriffic.

Nice catch.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » May 1st 2017, 1:52am

Very cool Tissot MK!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » May 1st 2017, 6:12am

Sweet!
I love old Tissot.
And Omega, Zenith, Doxa, Seiko...you know where I'm going with this.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » May 2nd 2017, 9:21pm

bobbee wrote:Sweet!
I love old Tissot.

To the flea market?
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » May 3rd 2017, 1:18am

3Flushes wrote:
bobbee wrote:Sweet!
I love old Tissot.

To the flea market?

Possibly, that's an itch that needs scratching!
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby relaxer7 » May 3rd 2017, 3:24am

Good effort there and if those scratches can be improved you're on to a real winner!
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 4th 2017, 2:30pm

@3Flushes: The strap has already been changed, now it's on the one that I had on the Eterna (as a new strap for the Eterna arrived recently). Posted the pic in one of the WURW threads, but here it is anyway:
The one it had when I bought it was likely for display purposes alright, it was faux-leather with cheap rubber lining. I have arranged for that strap to attend a long overdue appointment with the bin.

@bobbee: Well, Bob, if you find something at the flea market or car boot sale, I guess we'll all gladly see it- although Harold's Waltham trench watch will be hard to beat, methinks...

@biglove: It is the tits indeed. I much prefer full stainless steel or solid gold cases (although the majority of my watches has chrome or gold plated ones). Durability is a big part of that preference- the only major issue this 14K case has (and 14K gold is pretty durable- maybe not as much as 9 or 10K, but still more than 18K) is that for a long time, someone has been wearing the watch on a coarse nylon one-piece strap, which sadly left a mark on the back. I have the same issue with 3 other watches. I don't know who the fuck makes these straps, but I hope he experiences broken balance staffs and mainspring issues forever and a day longer.

@relaxer7: yep, the crystal needs changing, the shadows cast by the scratches are most annyoing.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 9th 2017, 7:08pm

A (not so) short update on the watch...

Upon visiting my watchmaker with the watch, it sadly has turned out, that the dial has a certain issue. I've already discovered, that the track on the seconds subdial has been reworked at some point- I could live with that, but the other issue that I've learned about upon having it inspected by the watchmaker, is that the debris under the crystal is actually the paint flaking of on the edges. Which is pretty fucking bad, since if that shit gets caught in the pinions, or makes its way deeper into the movement, it can cause some pretty serious damage, and hell take me if I'm willing to risk that.

That said, for the last two months or so, I've been looking for a replacement dial. To no avail, unfortunately. My watchmaker has access to post-1960 dials, but all his sources of pre-1960 dials have dried up. That dial style was very popular in late 1940s-early 1950s Tissots, so I thought that finding a replacement will be easy. There's no telling just how fucking wrong I was to think so. Some optimist, me. Apparently the popularity of that dial style + the fact, that they mostly came in non-waterproof dress watches without a hermetic crown or a screw-down back, have contributed to the stock of spare dials being largely depleted.

But then I have decided, that there's absolutely no bloody way that I'll give up on this watch. No way. That said, just today I drove to the flea market, in search of a knackered specimen with an identical dial, to serve as a parts donor. Well, apparently I'm one lucky bastard, because I did find one. Patina on the dial, but no mechanical damage. The hands are in a great condition (the ones on my watch suffer from plating loss and a lot of filth/residue on them). The chrome-plated case is knackered, and the movement has seen better days- winds endlessly, suggesting either a completely shot mainspring, or at least the bridle has gone to horological Valhalla. That said, I'm having no regrets having that thing taken apart for spare parts. Besides, one of my other three Tissots, a 1939 Antimagnetique in a 38mm case, has an issue (hands can spontaneously jump back when winding, causing a risk of damage to the gear train) with the keyless works (something with the setting lever- malfunctioning set lever spring, some sort of clutch or whatnot), so the movement of the donor watch can be used to repair that. The keyless works of the donor movement appear to be intact, at least in a few dozen times that I've checked the action of them, they have performed flawlessly. Most of the parts are interchangeable, as the donor watch and my two Antimags all have a cal. 27, with the only difference between the movements being the redesigned and relocated click in the later version (the '39 had the first generation cal. 27) of the cal. 27, which version both the donor and the 14K '47 specimen have.

I'm sending the watches in for a service this week, and both Tissots should be back on my wrist in a month, give or take a week.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 9th 2017, 7:19pm

You, sir, are dedicated to this hobby as few really are.

Look forward to the finished version.
Last edited by biglove on August 26th 2017, 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » July 10th 2017, 1:48am

As a fellow who found a vintage King Seiko in a thrift store for $50 USD, I can recognize a fellow lucky bastard from a mile away, and you are definitely one lucky bloke, uh, Bloke. All of that, plus a solid gold case indicates a bumper crop of luck, and thus it's all good...

And your update was some excellent reading, as well, because although I knew you were a lucky bloke, I wasn't at all certain that luck would hold. Yet it did, and I found myself to be pickled tink by the entire circle upon which the tale came about. As a fellow vintage collector -- albeit nowhere near your level of knowledge (I could've stared at that picture all day and seen nothing wrong, even if the movement were on fire...) -- I'm always amazed at the way Lady Luck consistently smiles down upon us, and with an ardor & frequency that chronic gamblers can only dream of. But enough of my gobbledygook...

I'll be eagerly looking forward to the next chapter of "The Saga of My 4th Tissot," soon to be a major motion picture, starring Clint Eastwood and Miley Cyrus, with a Special Guest Appearance by Larry Storch, as 'Conjurer,' the lonely old wanderer who spends his days fouling the restrooms in all the local watch repair shops and book stores.

Go get 'em, Bloke!
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 26th 2017, 12:50pm

New update:

I have just received a picture from my friend servicing the watch. He did quite a lot of work on this little Antimag - it needed a new crown...and a new baseplate for the movement, as the balance cock screw was shattered, and the remains of it were stuck for good in the plate. Fortunately, the "dial donor" I've bought was happy to become a baseplate donor as well.

Then there was an issue with the dial- it turns out, that the dial from the donor watch was an identical design, 30mm in diameter... but it was less domed than the one that needed to be replaced. So upon simply transplanting it, the cannon pinion stuck out further than it should, and so, the hands appeared to float well above the dial; also, there was some sort of a recess caused by the dial sitting lower than it should. Nevertheless, whatever sorcery my friend had to pull off to resolve these issues, he managed to do it...and here is the end result:
The watch will be back in my hands in a few weeks, as I've sent four other watches in for a service as well.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby abduksion » August 26th 2017, 5:36pm

I like the whole vintage thing but they usually for me end up costing more to repair and refurbish than
what I paid for them.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 27th 2017, 5:00pm

abduksion wrote:I like the whole vintage thing but they usually for me end up costing more to repair and refurbish than
what I paid for them.

Well, there's no rose without a thorn. A lot of bargains (i.e. purchase price compared to top market prices, not counting the later expenses) are bargains for a reason- sometimes these watches were rather badly mistreated, poorly repaired due to correct parts (hairsprings of incorrect length, for example) being unavailable, or sometime in the past they have been "serviced" by an utter pillock. Also, a lot of spare parts are becoming obsolete - for example, the parts for Martel ebauches used by Universal Geneve and Zenith are very hard to come by. In case of long-defunct brands that made their own movements, like Pierce, watchmakers often refuse to even look at the watch, because it is fairly obvious to them, that if anything needs to be replaced, there's just no way that a replacement can be obtained.

I tend not to care about the value of repairs and parts being bigger than the market value of a watch - mostly because I tend not to give a fuck about the value of watches that I own. Well, maybe there is one that I'd like to get rid of, but knowing my enthusiasm for selling anything, I guess it won't happen in the next ten years or so.

Anyway, the last chapter of - as Mr. Mortuus put it - The Saga of My 4th Tissot will be there once I get the watch back, and put it on a proper strap.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Vintage Watches