Rare Bird: Lémania 5012 SAAF

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Rare Bird: Lémania 5012 SAAF

Postby koimaster » February 21st 2017, 10:21am

Recently I bumped into a picture of a vintage watch that I had never seen before. It turned out to be a military watch by Lémania, issued to the South-African Air Force (SAAF) in the 1980’s and equipped with an iconic movement. Since it is not a watch you probably see very often, I tried to find out more about it.

Lémania 5012 SAAF

The Lémania 5012 SAAF was in use by South African Air Force pilots during the 1980s. It looks much more modern than the classic military watch. The black and greenish dial looks like a serious instrument. It seems to be quiet big, with its slightly domed glass providing a stretched view over a dial with one register (at 9) and a date window (at 3). The combination of bold minute and hour hands, two ready and waiting central counter hands and the interesting indexes with lots of dots and fine lines attracted me immediately.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/lemania-5012-saaf/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Rare Bird: Lémania 5012 SAAF

Postby conjurer » February 21st 2017, 10:46am

It's nice to see that so many Swiss companies were ignoring anti-apartheid trade sanctions with South Africa.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » February 21st 2017, 11:08am

conjurer wrote:It's nice to see that so many Swiss companies were ignoring anti-apartheid trade sanctions with South Africa.

They weren't ignoring them - they actively opposed sanctions for a time.

Switzerland’s position
Switzerland maintained its basic stance of rejecting sanctions in the case of South Africa as well. The 1986 position of the Federal Council stated that it disapproved of economic measures to achieve political goals. Nevertheless, politics also intervened in economic ties. A ban on public loans to South Africa was enacted in 1978. From 1974 on, the government set a ceiling on certain capital exports requiring licenses. During the course of other countries’ economic sanctions, statistical monitoring also took place from 1986 on. In addition to monitoring capital exports, it covered all sectors in which the most important industrialized countries enacted congruent economic sanctions. Sectors were also statistically monitored in which converging sanctions had not been imposed or were at least subject to heated dispute (e.g., direct investments). These measures were intended to have prevented Third States from circumventing sanctions through Switzerland.

If that didn't put the kitten to sleep this surely will:
http://www.snf.ch/sitecollectiondocumen ... elin-e.pdf
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » February 21st 2017, 4:19pm

As well as the Seiko7A28's issued to the SAAF as mentioned in Koi's post in the Seiko section.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » February 21st 2017, 7:16pm

conjurer wrote:It's nice to see that so many Swiss companies were ignoring anti-apartheid trade sanctions with South Africa.

Switzerland can suck my motherfucking dick.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » February 21st 2017, 7:38pm

jason_recliner wrote:

Switzerland can suck my motherfucking dick.

And, apparently, Japan too!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Vintage Watches