Independent Thinking – The Certina Way

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Independent Thinking – The Certina Way

Postby koimaster » February 14th 2017, 10:19am

The 128-year-old brand Certina has an established record of being at the forefront of many horological advances.

Founded as an anonymous movement and components factory in 1888 by brothers Alfred and Adolf Kurth, Certina first started producing complete watches 18 years later under the name Grana. With an uninterrupted production since its initial founding in the 19th century, Certina (the new name was registered in 1939) can boast of being one of the first companies to ever produce wristwatches, one of the first to produce a digital display watch and of making real headway with shock and water-resistant watches.

Renowned watchmaker Peter Roberts, a keen collector of vintage Certinas, says: “I spent some time at the Certina factory in the early 1970s and have been an admirer of the watches ever since. I was impressed by the autonomy of the manufacturing and the independent thinking of the design team. Although one hesitates to use the term ‘in house’, this factory truly was – not only did it manufacture all the parts, it had its own tool-making department, metal laboratory and heat treatment furnace. Few other factories were this independent.”

https://www.revolution.watch/independen ... rtina-way/

( I was going to try to put all of the page in PDF format but a lot of work going on right now at the office)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Vintage Watches