First vintage watch in a year - fake...

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

First vintage watch in a year - fake...

Postby gerdson » February 7th 2017, 1:09pm

Fuck. I haven't bought anything for a long while, lack of time. But recently I did a search of "Favre Leuba" and bought one like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Orologio-Favre-Leuba-Sandow-Twin-Power-17-rubini-swiss-carica-manuale-1970-1979-/182439765802?hash=item2a7a41e72a:g:6yoAAOSwA3dYhxp-

Note - I paid much less, from a "non-watch seller", with blurry pictures (svaglic knows - sometimes You can find true gems this way). And most noticeable: No picture of the movement.

Overall at first glance it looks nice.

So what is fake. The movement is NOT from FL's famous "twin barrel movement series". Instead it is a cheap FHF 96. Note the bridge is signed "Favre Leuba", that is quite an effort for a "low end fake". I am pretty certain that the case back is original FL, but the case itself is not. The dial is poor quality, the letters are not set straight (e.g. the "Swiss Made" in the bottom.

Interesting here is, that it must be a small batch produced, very likely in India, where the brand used to be very popular. The second hand of my watch is different, and the case of mine has "Bombay lugs" (or I would not have bought it, I just love these...)

That this still happens to me, after all these years... :mrgreen:
Due the low price I didn't spend a lot of time for research, or I might have noticed earlier.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Re: First vintage watch in a year - fake...

Postby conjurer » February 7th 2017, 1:19pm

That blows.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » February 7th 2017, 2:01pm

Yep, somewhere in one of the seedier districts of Bangelore, a nasty little one-eyed wog named Dahesh lets out a high-pitched giggle as he squats on the dirt floor of his hovel surrounded by piles of second-hand and scavenged Favre Leuba parts. "Oooh another one sold to a rascal dog Westerner, hee hee hee...."
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 7th 2017, 2:24pm

A classic "Bombay Special." That shit is flowing out of "watch butcher" workshops in Bombay by the ton. I don't know how the fuck are they able to get so many FHF 96 movements, and if these are real FHFs at all- the majority of the ones I've seen had FHF markings under the balance, so...

Anyway, the absolutely rubbish dial - dreadful minute track, the fuzzy font, and the markers almost swimming in paint (with splashes of it on the top surfaces here and there) - should have been the dead giveaway.

One has to be very careful with Favre-Leuba... They were big in India- it was their main market. That an FL is being sold from elsewhere is hardly reducing the risk of running into one of the BS (how adequate that abbreviation is)... Now the Bombay fakers are shipping their "merchandise" off to, so to speak, "sales agents" based in the US, Canada, UK... That said, even setting up the filters to EU and/or US and/or Canada won't help. Most FLs listed from anywhere are redialed or fake. There are brands, where one sees plenty of redials, but FL is that one brand, where actually seeing a fully legit piece up for sale is a miracle.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » February 7th 2017, 2:46pm

Sorry, man. Nothing worse than getting bamboozled.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » February 7th 2017, 2:53pm

If it was a paypal purchase or ebay purchase, return it.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Vintage Watches