Enough talk about the vintage watch craze

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Enough talk about the vintage watch craze

Postby koimaster » January 31st 2017, 9:14am

Over the past year we have heard more about the “vintage watch craze” than almost the whole of the last decade! But there is absolutely no craze, nor trend nor fad! Vintage watches, especially wristwatches, have been doing quite well since the late 1980s when the wristwatch became accepted as a suitable object of desire and collection alongside the pocket watch which had thus far been regarded as a more serious form of collectible horology.

By Alexandre Ghotbi

The vintage watch market has seen systematic growth for the past 25 years with record prices chasing record prices at an ever faster rate. A market that formerly appeared to be hallowed ground exclusively reserved for cognoscenti and scholars in Europe and America has opened up to newcomers from Asia and the Middle East. Furthermore, the serious shake-up of the modern watch market has pushed the media to turn its attention from modern to vintage.

One of the most interesting phenomena is not the press coverage, but rather the amazing number of young aficionados turning to vintage watches! I would explain this by the fact that not only can vintage watches be obtained at a fraction of the price of their modern counterparts (putting aside the whopping results of certain pieces), but wearing a vintage timepiece is a sign of independent thinking, the personality of one immune to the attractions of marketing.

Age aside, there are certain elements which all vintage collectors agree upon and that can explain the growing appeal of vintage. One would be the price of a vintage timepiece. This price is not set by the maker, but instead by the market, with auction prices being the benchmark. A second element, which may well be the most powerful, is the rarity factor. The chances of running into someone wearing the same “ultra-limited” timepiece are low. Let’s not forget that vintage watches are rare not because a brand decided to make a limited number in a special case metal/dial combination, but because they were made in a time of pre-industrialized manufacturing, which means that finding models in good condition becomes more and more difficult as we go forward.

However, the most important elements in the attraction to vintage watches are intangible: these watches are comfortably reassuring, they show the free spirit of the wearer who refuses to bow to the dictates of trends and marketing, and most importantly these watches bear the patina of time… They have a story to tell.

http://www.swisstime.ch/en/news/editori ... tch-craze/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Enough talk about the vintage watch craze

Postby Britboy » January 31st 2017, 3:55pm

And now the prices will start to skyrocket as the sheep will all want one to be different.
Fuckers..
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » January 31st 2017, 4:03pm

Go vintage, or go home.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby jason_recliner » January 31st 2017, 7:48pm

The kids, with the vintage watch craze, and the long hair, and the clothes...

:roll:
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby four of diamonds » January 31st 2017, 8:17pm

So, since this watch is older than me, that makes me younger and fashionable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
four of diamonds
Master of Time

Postby kevco » February 1st 2017, 6:52am

Yeah..this is me.. :roll:

"they show the free spirit of the wearer who refuses to bow to the dictates of trends and marketing."
kevco
Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » February 1st 2017, 5:37pm

kevco wrote:Yeah..this is me.. :roll:

"they show the free spirit of the wearer who refuses to bow to the dictates of trends and marketing."

Maybe he should have instead written, "they've been around long enough to have developed an appreciation for history and attainable finer things. And they don't give a rat's ass what some smart watch wearing douchebag thinks about it."
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » February 1st 2017, 7:56pm

Gotta tell ya: The hipster douchebag, Mumford & Sons beards-and-bowties set down in the Village has been doing the vintage watch thing for about five years now. They pick up really old, beat up 1940s watches and wear them with their $750 button-downs. The amazing thing is, some of these kids only care about them as an "accessory" - more than a few of them don't even care if the watches run at all, and they buy them even though they don't work. They prowl the vintage shops and grab a broken old Elgin or something and wear it. So cool, so "ironic."

So stupid.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Vintage Watches