4 Tips To Spot (And Avoid) A Restored Dial

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

4 Tips To Spot (And Avoid) A Restored Dial

Postby koimaster » January 18th 2017, 4:09pm

Wednesday February 10, 2016

Collecting vintage watches isn’t for the faint-hearted. There are many, many things that can go wrong if one doesn’t know what to look out for – wrong movements, crowns, hands, franken-watches – the list goes on. In the spirit of what we published a few weeks ago, today we want to share some tips on one step of the vintage watch due diligence process: how to spot (and avoid) a restored dial.

As many collectors will tell you, the dial is the most valuable part of any vintage watch. In most cases, a pristine dial with minimal patina, zero scratches, and no blemishes can fetch significantly higher prices than dials with some degree of wear, with the exception of some specific instances where patina might be preferred (e.g. tropical-dial Rolex submariners).

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/how-to-spot-a-redial

Four Tips To Spot (And Avoid) A Restored Dial.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: 4 Tips To Spot (And Avoid) A Restored Dial

Postby gerdson » January 18th 2017, 10:51pm

Interesting examples. Myself I have had two dials restored, both with "moderate" results. Impeccable craftmenship in both cases (no hanging or blurred prints), but neither identical to the original. It is simply not worth the effort - resulting in a nice looking watch, but not a collectors item.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 19th 2017, 8:31am

Good read.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 19th 2017, 1:45pm

gerdson wrote:Interesting examples. Myself I have had two dials restored, both with "moderate" results. Impeccable craftmenship in both cases (no hanging or blurred prints), but neither identical to the original. It is simply not worth the effort - resulting in a nice looking watch, but not a collectors item.

I definitely agree that the end result is not collectible. Still, sometimes it's better than the condition the dial was in- like paint flaking off, water damage, rust, paint bubbling...

Regarding Hodinkee, it would be nice, if they could actually use all that "advice" they provide. Because they're often unable to tell even a bad redial.

Here's what I've caught them selling a few days before Christmas:
vacheronhodinkeeshopredial.jpg

Dreadful font, with shoddy letters of inconsistent sizes, the font growing in size from left to right. Off-centre "Swiss" marking.
After I raised hell on WUS Vintage forum, they withdrew the watch.
They're also notoriously failing to tell a redialed Longines from the real deal. Which is funny, as the article uses Longines as an example...

The advice provided in the article is good. I only wish they knew how to use it themselves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Vintage Watches