EXTREMELY PIAGET: Black Tie Vintage Inspiration

For discussions and topics specifically related to watches for the ladies!

EXTREMELY PIAGET: Black Tie Vintage Inspiration

Postby koimaster » April 17th 2015, 4:28pm

For a few years now, brands have been reaching into ‘their’ 1960s and 1970s for inspiration. Many brands have gone down the path to those decades for, in particular, sports watches, but to modernise dress watches from that period is possibly a rather more tricky proposition, especially in the case of women’s watches, which were considerably smaller then than what the 21st century woman is accustomed to.

I am not old enough to have registered the profile of Piaget during this period but my father was, and it was through his eyes that I first learned about Piaget. As a child there were several brands of which I was perhaps more aware than others because of his ownership of them, and Piaget was one of them. His was a dress watch on a yellow gold bracelet with a stone dial. Very bold and reminiscent of what I see in the watches the subject of today’s post.

Two models symbolising this period of Piaget’s history have been added to what they call the ‘Extremely Piaget’ emblematic watches line.

The first of these is the one at the top of this post, the (double) cushion-shaped Black Tie Vintage Inspiration. It is based on the Beta 21 quartz movement piece owned by Andy Warhol but now contains a mechanical movement (automatic Calibre 534P). This new version is in a white gold stepped case with a brushed bezel measuring 45mm x 40mm and an onyx black dial. This is actually a great looking watch; very strong lines but in spite of its size pretty dressy, and reeking of suitability for evening wear. It is limited to twenty-eight pieces.

Those with their finger on the Piaget retro pulse may know that there has been another similar piece in the Extremely Piaget’ collection, but with its case in 18 carat yellow gold and the dial a natural green jade colour. In comparing them both, this new white gold one seems more modern and probably with broader appeal.

http://horologium.com.au/2015/03/12/ext ... spiration/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: EXTREMELY PIAGET: Black Tie Vintage Inspiration

Postby jason_recliner » April 17th 2015, 6:43pm

PIAGET IS NOW AN ADJECTIVE OH NOES!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Return to Ladies Watches