TIMEX x Engineered Garments x BEAMS new SS Camper

TIMEX x Engineered Garments x BEAMS new SS Camper

Postby GammaCounter » March 14th 2018, 8:48pm

Hi again! Received this a few weeks ago from Japan, and really enjoying it. Another Timex collaboration, this one a triple collaboration, with the clothing firm Engineered Garments, and the Japanese retailer BEAMS. Check out the dial! This is a more recent steel-case version of an earlier collab with the same parties, but the earlier watch was in plastic/resin cases (three colors, olive-green, black, navy blue). Those were from around 2016, and were based on the long-running Timex Camper model (which itself takes inspiration from a US Army military specification watch from the 1960s and onward, MIL-W-46374.) The dial is meant to be playful, and notice that not just the numbers, but also TIMEX and WATER RESISTANT are reversed. Complete mirror image. Nice 36 mm size, in good quality fixed-lug steel case. Japanese quartz movement. I have written more extensively on the review page I have linked, if you want have a look, with many more pictures. I enjoy wearing this, and the backwards dial creates no problem or delay in time reading, making me wonder if we ever actually look at the numbers, or we just tell time by where the two hands are in relation to each other. Just like you'd recognize the face of your Grandmaa, when the hands shows 4:20, you just know it's 4:20 even if the dial says ABCDEFGHIJKL. Let me know what you think! Thanks, Alan
Link is here: http://randomfootage.homestead.com/time ... steel.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GammaCounter

Re: TIMEX x Engineered Garments x BEAMS new SS Camper

Postby Racer-X » March 14th 2018, 8:51pm

This is giving me Diabetes.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby GammaCounter » March 14th 2018, 9:15pm

Because it is so sweet?
GammaCounter

Postby artman » March 15th 2018, 2:41am

Whoa. Someone slipped something into me beer. I'm seeing shit backwards.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » March 15th 2018, 3:06am

Wn’FTF

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby codguy » March 15th 2018, 4:03am

GammaCounter wrote: Let me know what you think!

Absolutely fucking stupid!

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » March 15th 2018, 4:08am

codguy wrote:

Allow me to clarify:

!diputs gnikcuf yletulosba

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby GammaCounter » March 15th 2018, 2:49pm

Does that make me fucking stupid for really liking it??

codguy wrote:

GammaCounter

Postby Hawk » March 15th 2018, 5:13pm

Nah. We all like some stupid shit that's difficult for others to see as brilliant.

For instance I'm a big fan of K-Pop. And Women's professional billiards. And Morningstar Veggie Burgers.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby GammaCounter » March 15th 2018, 5:16pm

Yeah. My son is not a begetarian, but the only sausages he'll eat are Morning Star.
GammaCounter

Postby artman » March 15th 2018, 6:58pm

I think the watch is stupid, but not necessarily you for liking it. I do have a suspicion that this photo may be a fake. If it is a photoshopped image, then then this entire thread would be stupid. If this watch is for real then accept my apologies and carry on.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby GammaCounter » March 15th 2018, 7:17pm

Why would you think I would photoshop this, make a fake picture, like this. What reason would I possibly have for doing this. Do you also believe the Moon landings never happened. Probably. Here is the store in Japan where the watch is being sold though. http://www.beams.co.jp/item/beamsboy/watch/13480002232/ Maybe they are fake as well.
GammaCounter

Postby conjurer » March 15th 2018, 7:52pm

That's the dumbest fucking watch I've ever seen, FFS. That's right up there with MB&F fucking dumb.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby GammaCounter » March 15th 2018, 7:58pm

It's amusing to me the number of people who think this is dumb, fucking stupid, etc. Not the highest level of language or vocabulary by the way. When I see this much anger about a simple object, I know that what the people who express this find the most irritating is that they don't understand the joke. They don't get it, and because they don't get it, it makes them feel less intelligent and aware. This makes them uncomfortable, and the only way they can feel whole again is to call something "fucking stupid, duh duh." Many Americans talk about how "stupid" and "dumb" British humor is, but what they are really saying is, I don't get these jokes, it moves too fast for me to keep up and comprehend, the jokes appear to require me to know some history, and the fact that a bunch of people are laughing hilariously, and I am not, makes me uncomfortable. So, I will call it "fucking stupid." This Timex wristwatch is the British humor of horology. You're welcome for this tidy explanation. Now, carry on.
GammaCounter

Postby conjurer » March 15th 2018, 10:04pm

OK, I get the joke. I just don't find it funny. If you don't like the way I talk, go fuck yourself.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » March 15th 2018, 10:31pm

Psychobabble aside, the biggest issue here is who the hell is the poster. You are new and so far all of your posts have to do with Timex watches. No introduction post-nothing. Who are you? What is your connection to Timex watches? If you are just coming here to sell products you probably won't last long. And that is based on years of experience here. People around here don't take kindly to an unsolicited sales pitch. If I am wrong concerning your intentions then let us all know.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby bedlam » March 15th 2018, 11:59pm

GammaCounter wrote:It's amusing to me the number of people who think this is dumb, fucking stupid, etc. Not the highest level of language or vocabulary by the way. When I see this much anger about a simple object, I know that what the people who express this find the most irritating is that they don't understand the joke. They don't get it, and because they don't get it, it makes them feel less intelligent and aware. This makes them uncomfortable, and the only way they can feel whole again is to call something "fucking stupid, duh duh." Many Americans talk about how "stupid" and "dumb" British humor is, but what they are really saying is, I don't get these jokes, it moves too fast for me to keep up and comprehend, the jokes appear to require me to know some history, and the fact that a bunch of people are laughing hilariously, and I am not, makes me uncomfortable. So, I will call it "fucking stupid." This Timex wristwatch is the British humor of horology. You're welcome for this tidy explanation. Now, carry on.

You haven't earned a response based in the 'highest level of language or vocabulary'.

You just burst through our front door, grabbed a beer from the fridge, and plonked down on the lounge yelling the whole time about some Timex's you like.

Try again with an intro post and it might work out better for you.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby artman » March 16th 2018, 1:34am

GammaCounter wrote:Why would you think I would photoshop this, make a fake picture, like this. What reason would I possibly have for doing this. Do you also believe the Moon landings never happened. Probably. Here is the store in Japan where the watch is being sold though. http://www.beams.co.jp/item/beamsboy/watch/13480002232/ Maybe they are fake as well.

So you didn't accept my apology? Instead you opted to get all snooty and condescending and defensive. So I was wrong about the image being a fake. Despite my affinity for the brand this is still a stupid design and it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't originally a production mistake. I bet someone in the Cebu factory noticed the mistake on the floor and convinced his boss to call it a "special edition" because he knew someone stupid will buy it! I bet they're all sitting around after work drinking San Miguel beers and laughing at everyone who bought that stupid watch.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » March 16th 2018, 4:34am

GammaCounter wrote:It's amusing to me the number of people who think this is dumb, fucking stupid, etc. Not the highest level of language or vocabulary by the way. When I see this much anger about a simple object, I know that what the people who express this find the most irritating is that they don't understand the joke. They don't get it, and because they don't get it, it makes them feel less intelligent and aware. This makes them uncomfortable, and the only way they can feel whole again is to call something "fucking stupid, duh duh." Many Americans talk about how "stupid" and "dumb" British humor is, but what they are really saying is, I don't get these jokes, it moves too fast for me to keep up and comprehend, the jokes appear to require me to know some history, and the fact that a bunch of people are laughing hilariously, and I am not, makes me uncomfortable. So, I will call it "fucking stupid." This Timex wristwatch is the British humor of horology. You're welcome for this tidy explanation. Now, carry on.

Whenever somebody has to explain, or analyze, humor or peoples reaction to it, all it does is show that they have lost their sense of it.

This would have actually made a good Monty Python skit. A comic (John Cleese) who goes onstage,tells a joke that gets an unintended response,then goes on and on trying to explain how they should have reacted.

Last edited by foghorn on March 16th 2018, 4:37am, edited 1 time in total.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby codguy » March 16th 2018, 4:35am

GammaCounter wrote:When I see this much anger about a simple object (no anger, just chuckling at this hideous dial), I know that what the people who express this find the most irritating is that they don't understand the joke (oh, we get the joke alright, but it appears to be on those that purchase these wartches). They don't get it, and because they don't get it, it makes them feel less intelligent and aware. This makes them uncomfortable, and the only way they can feel whole again is to call something "fucking stupid, duh duh." Many Americans talk about how "stupid" and "dumb" British humor is, but what they are really saying is, I don't get these jokes, it moves too fast for me to keep up and comprehend, the jokes appear to require me to know some history, and the fact that a bunch of people are laughing hilariously (we are truly doing that), and I am not, makes me uncomfortable. So, I will call it "fucking stupid." This Timex wristwatch is the British humor of horology (are you a brit??? If so, I apologize.). You're welcome for this tidy explanation. Now, carry on (always do).

Responses from me in red for gammas viewing pleasure........

As a totally serious note;
- At least this wartch in a automatic, it has that going for it (sarc)
-It might gain more favoritism if Timex added a cable, acouple of tyme knobs or perhaps a commode on the dial.
-Apparently you haven't contacted our Avatar Manager, and with his permission, I'll let you have this one free gratis.........

It was left behind by some member that ran off blowing snot bubbles.

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby kevco » March 16th 2018, 6:53am

My first real job back in 1975 was working at a Pizza Inn here in Tulsa.
We had a clock the Coors distributer gave us to display above the beer tap.
The numbers were all reversed and the second hand ran backwards.
That's what all this reminds me of.
Similar to this:

images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby GammaCounter » March 16th 2018, 7:17am

Yeah, no, I don't work for Timex at all, I have no interest in selling watches. I've just been a hobbyist since around 1999 when I became interested in watches. I could care less how many watches Timex sells or doesn't sell. And I can guarantee you that this isn't a production mistake like some mis-stamped dial that somehow got into inventory, and people drinking beer in the factory said, gee, let's see if this sells. The idea was conceived based on a Waterbury clock from 1910s, approximately, and this clock had a reverse dial *and* had a backwards running movement. The clock was meant not as a whimsical or funny thing, but was intended to serve a specific purpose. Barbers cutting hair needed to track time, so they knew they were spending appropriate time cutting hair. Wristwatches in 1910 were not worn by everybody, so they had these clocks mounted on the walls *behind* the barber. So the barber, whilst cutting hair, and looking in the mirror, was able to tell the time. Waterbury as probably most people know, was the predecessor to US TIME, which became TIMEX, so this clock is in the Timex archives. An Timex rep saw this clock and had the idea to make a wristwatch based on this old wall clock. There is no photoshop, there is no factory mistake, there certainly is no conspiracy to fool anyone, or to create a public health crisis in timekeeping, or anything like this. If anyone wants to Google the original clock, it is entirely ordinary looking old fashioned clock, except the dial is backwards, try G: "waterbury kramer barber clock" or something like that. As for Timex, this watch has sold well, and soon they are coming out with a black color plastic/resin version. Previously they have had plastic green and navy blue, and this steel one that I show pictured. Here is the link to that. In Japanese mostly, but if you use Chrome I think it automatically does the machine translation. http://www.beams.co.jp/news/840/
Also, as far as being on this forum, from what I remembered, I just signed up and got a password. Was there another protocol I should have followed? If I am unwelcome here because I am posting about Timex watches, and not higher grade expensive watches, I do understand as many people find these boring and not worth discussing, drugstore crap, etc. Just let me know. If you wish to cancel my membership if I am not welcome, let me know. I thought this forum was a sort of "we are so vastly different from all the other shitty watch forums, we won't be shitty to anyone because we want to have a vastly nicer place where people can just talk about their passions without being bullied" and that sort of thing. If I am wrong, and if this is a place were bullying is encouraged, kindly let me know know and cancel my subscription. I don't need a refund of my dues, you can keep them. Thanks - GG.
GammaCounter

Postby catnap » March 16th 2018, 7:40am

What the fuck is going on here?
Last edited by catnap on March 16th 2018, 7:55am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » March 16th 2018, 7:44am

GammaCounter wrote:Yeah, no, I don't work for Timex at all, I have no interest in selling watches. I've just been a hobbyist since around 1999 when I became interested in watches. I could care less how many watches Timex sells or doesn't sell. And I can guarantee you that this isn't a production mistake like some mis-stamped dial that somehow got into inventory, and people drinking beer in the factory said, gee, let's see if this sells. The idea was conceived based on a Waterbury clock from 1910s, approximately, and this clock had a reverse dial *and* had a backwards running movement. The clock was meant not as a whimsical or funny thing, but was intended to serve a specific purpose. Barbers cutting hair needed to track time, so they knew they were spending appropriate time cutting hair. Wristwatches in 1910 were not worn by everybody, so they had these clocks mounted on the walls *behind* the barber. So the barber, whilst cutting hair, and looking in the mirror, was able to tell the time. Waterbury as probably most people know, was the predecessor to US TIME, which became TIMEX, so this clock is in the Timex archives. An Timex rep saw this clock and had the idea to make a wristwatch based on this old wall clock. There is no photoshop, there is no factory mistake, there certainly is no conspiracy to fool anyone, or to create a public health crisis in timekeeping, or anything like this. If anyone wants to Google the original clock, it is entirely ordinary looking old fashioned clock, except the dial is backwards, try G: "waterbury kramer barber clock" or something like that. As for Timex, this watch has sold well, and soon they are coming out with a black color plastic/resin version. Previously they have had plastic green and navy blue, and this steel one that I show pictured. Here is the link to that. In Japanese mostly, but if you use Chrome I think it automatically does the machine translation. http://www.beams.co.jp/news/840/
Also, as far as being on this forum, from what I remembered, I just signed up and got a password. Was there another protocol I should have followed? If I am unwelcome here because I am posting about Timex watches, and not higher grade expensive watches, I do understand as many people find these boring and not worth discussing, drugstore crap, etc. Just let me know. If you wish to cancel my membership if I am not welcome, let me know. I thought this forum was a sort of "we are so vastly different from all the other shitty watch forums, we won't be shitty to anyone because we want to have a vastly nicer place where people can just talk about their passions without being bullied" and that sort of thing. If I am wrong, and if this is a place were bullying is encouraged, kindly let me know know and cancel my subscription. I don't need a refund of my dues, you can keep them. Thanks - GG.

Hang around-I think you'll like it. Most of us are fans of "affordable" (whatever the fuck that means) watches and of Timex too. We even have a Timex subforum. (look around the place. )
We do have a number of ball busters here (mostly good natured ones) and it can get a little raw at times but that keeps it real. Many or us are here after being members at various other fora and getting fed up with over moderated , sponsored sites (Hello TZ,WUS) where speaking the truth is sometimes discouraged.It only hurts for a little while

Welcome,

fog(I eat with my pecker)horn
Last edited by foghorn on March 16th 2018, 7:45am, edited 1 time in total.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby GammaCounter » March 16th 2018, 7:45am

Ok thanks I apprciate that.
GammaCounter

Next

Return to Your New Watch