damn it, Sid

damn it, Sid

Postby nimbleboy » December 28th 2017, 10:44am

June 19, 2013. It was a lovely day and I planned to meet my good friend Moustache Jim after work for happy hour.

As I crossed Olson Highway, I kept my eye on the car taking a left to make sure it wasn’t going to turn in front of me. Suddenly, there was all the noise and I was jerked around in my seat. My car settled in alongside the curb two lanes from the one in which I’d been traveling. I got out of my car hacking and wheezing; apparently this is a common side-effect of the airbags deploying. I made my way to the long black Cadillac with the mashed grill. The driver was standing behind his car, rubbing his face. He pulled his hands down when I approached and introduced himself. “I’m Sid Hartman.” “I thought so! Nice to meet you,” I replied. He was not amused.

Sid Hartman. Christ. As I write this, he’s 97 years old and still alive.

From Wikipedia:
Background and early career
Raised in north Minneapolis and dropping out of high school when he started delivering papers for the Minneapolis Tribune, Hartman received no formal writing training. Hartman penned his first column for the Minneapolis Daily Times on September 11, 1945, and continues to report, now for the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Minneapolis Lakers
As a 27-year-old in 1947, Hartman became the acting general manager of the Minneapolis Lakers. Hartman helped build what would become the first dynasty in the NBA.

Sports columnist
Sid Hartman has been a popular and widely read sports columnist throughout his career. Hartman's columns have always been strong on reporting, while the writing is less admired. Dick Cullum, Hartman's first editor, explained it this way: "Writers are a dime a dozen, but reporters are impossible to find." Steve Rushin of Sports Illustrated, noted, "English sometimes appears to be his second language."

Hartman has also appeared as a radio sportscaster and commentator for years on Minneapolis's WCCO Radio. One of the elements of his style - often caricatured by local comics and other radio personalities - is his habit while interviewing a sports figure of referring to him or her as "my close personal friend". Over the years, his "close personal friends" have included the likes of George Steinbrenner, Bobby Knight, Lou Holtz, and Carl Yastrzemski.

Wikipedia doesn’t mention that he’s also widely known to be kind of a jerk.

My family is not a litigious one, and I was somewhat surprised when my dad suggested I call a lawyer. Obviously, it’s what one does, so I did.

I have had a handful of shots into my neck and head, three radio-frequency rhizotomies in my back, a couple MRIs, two or three Botox treatments, and countless chiropractic adjustments.

Sid maintained I ran the red light, but I had a witness who saw my green. We settled before Sid ever had to admit he ran a red. Not that he remembers our accident.

I got the idea along the way that once I got paid, I would take some of the money and Sid was going to buy me a nice watch. I looked at the website for every Swiss and German watch company I could find. I had a pretty good list of features I wanted in a watch, but the one thing I needed was an engravable case back. We settled for a little less than my lawyer initially anticipated, so I lowered my price range a bit and arrived at the watch that arrived yesterday: a Nomos Tangomat.

As I mentioned in another post, my original watch got shanghaied on the way to Minneapolis somewhere. I was hoping to have it for Christmas. My girlfriend was going to wrap it (she’s good at that- I’m not) and put it under her family’s tree on Xmas Eve, then re-wrap it for my family’s tree on Xmas Day. I planned to act all mystified, then excited at my gift from Sid. Well, that didn’t happen. Whatever. I have it now, and the good people at Nomos sent me a little extra swag because they felt bad about the theft. I’m quite pleased with it. It suits my personal style.

And here is my annual holiday card this year. Happy New Year, Lords!
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Re: damn it, Sid

Postby codguy » December 28th 2017, 10:54am

:bvbvbv:

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » December 28th 2017, 10:55am

This story made me smile broadly.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » December 28th 2017, 11:14am

Well, it's a good thing he hit you on the way to happy hour. Congrats on the watch.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby foghorn » December 28th 2017, 11:20am

Sorry for your troubles CJ,but that's one of the best posts and stories ever. The engraving is pure genius. Beautiful watch too, although getting it was a pain in the neck.

I'd like to order a pizza to go with no anchovies.
No anchovies? --- you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger".

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby AntFarm » December 28th 2017, 1:43pm

Enjoyable story. Nice Nomos too.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby Rusty » December 28th 2017, 2:04pm

Ahhhh, a good story told by a good story teller. And nice watch.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby artman » December 28th 2017, 2:10pm

I'd say that Nomos was worth the pain in the neck! The engraving is priceless.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » December 28th 2017, 2:58pm

Thanks for that. More fun to read than endure, for sure, and the very sweet Nomos at the end rounded things out nicely :-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » December 28th 2017, 4:32pm

You handled it all very well and got a nice watch to show for it.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » December 28th 2017, 5:15pm

All's well that ends swell :-)
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 28th 2017, 7:15pm

That's just great all the way around. Have a great New Year, too.
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » December 28th 2017, 7:33pm

Damn.... I always wanted a super sized check. Well done!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » December 28th 2017, 8:54pm

What a story!

And what a watch.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Your New Watch