Stocking Stuffed: Bulova Sea King UHF

Stocking Stuffed: Bulova Sea King UHF

Postby TemerityB » December 22nd 2017, 5:02pm

First off: The people in our local BJ's Wholesale Club - which is to warehouse clubs what Joe DeRita is to Curly Howard - have told us twice that BJ's is phasing out their jewelry and watches department. Even the receipts say "all sales final for all jewelry and watches." I am assuming that the entire BJ's chain is doing this. The two stores near me honestly have had some killer deals this past week - $149 Tissot chronos, $79 Bulova Accutron IIs, $169 Movados and such. Any WLs with BJs near them might want to check them out this weekend. Great bakeries, too.

The last two times I've visited the store nearest me, I noticed a Bulova Sea King UHF (262 kHz quartz movement, pretty accurate and smooth) in the display case; today, there was only one piece left (I noted it in the chat box about a week ago). The first time I saw it out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was an auto, but these movements run with smooth sweep second hands (its part of the Precisionist line from about two years ago). Add to it a sapphire crystal, screw down crown, and a 300 meter dive rating, and I kept looking at it despite its 48mm size. Today, I tried it on and it kind of played small - and wonder of wonders, it's the first budget dive-style watch I've picked up with a urethane band that doesn't scream "change me immediately!" (sorry, Seiko and Orient). My wife sees it on my wrist an says "let me get that for you as a stocking stuffer." I agreed and we brought it home. Nice to have a nice wife who buoys the hobby every now and again; I wasn't gonna spring but she just says get it.

I've been really down on Bulova the last couple of years, but we got this one for $99 (list is $599), so I didn't mind the risk this time out. I'm shocked at how solid it is, and it wears small considering its size as I'm guessing it's only about 11mm or so thick (CR2016 battery movement, as usual). The crown is really solidly made; the lume is meh. The screws look huge when i'ts photographed but they're not nearly as obtrusive in real time, at least to my eye.

So I like the styling overall, and from the feel of this Sea King, I wouldn't be afraid to get this one wet. I think it punches above its weight class and I'm pleasantly surprised. This watch serves as a nice stocking stuffer from a lady who treats me well, and I'm grateful. Happy holidays to all.

Last edited by TemerityB on December 22nd 2017, 5:49pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Stocking Stuffed: Bulova Sea King UHF

Postby labman » December 22nd 2017, 5:04pm

Picking that up for under a C note is a steal.

Nice looking diver.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby spanky1 » December 22nd 2017, 5:08pm

Great Find: An early Christmas gift. Congratulations
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » December 22nd 2017, 5:11pm

Always admired that style but the size still gives me pause....nice steal TB
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » December 22nd 2017, 5:13pm

Helluva good deal T!!
I had one and sold it-a bit too big for me,but the quality is impressive.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » December 22nd 2017, 6:32pm

Great deal on a nice watch TB!
Last edited by Racer-X on December 22nd 2017, 6:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AntFarm » December 22nd 2017, 6:42pm

I like that one TB. It's a bit big for me but I love the hands and the dial layout. The orange outlines are well done too.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » December 22nd 2017, 6:53pm

Good looking watch, congrats. We don't have any BJs clubs around here, maybe a NE thing? Was at Costco the other day and they had several pretty uninspiring Bulova and Raymond Weil models and a pallet of Citizens. I suppose the 262 kilohertz is an ultra high frequency for a watch movement. I've seen other watches say UHF as well and it's a little confusing to a guy who worked on aircraft radios where the UHF frequency range starts at 300 megahertz.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby svaglic » December 22nd 2017, 7:02pm

Bulova did good on that one, I like the looks. I'm glad your wife coaxed you into it, she sounds great.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 32771 » December 22nd 2017, 7:04pm

Nice!
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » December 22nd 2017, 7:15pm

Have always liked the style but never seriously considered it due to the size. Good to know it wears small and for that price, is a have to buy.

Kudos to your wife for supporting your hobby.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 22nd 2017, 7:50pm

biglove wrote:Kudos to your wife for supporting your hobby.

Well, not always... :wink:

But I hope to give her the biggest horological surprise she's ever gotten sometime in the new few weeks...

Stuff's brewin'! :smile:
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Rusty » December 22nd 2017, 8:42pm

I have that one and despite the width of the case, it always feels so comfortable on my wrist. Congrats on a great deal and enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby artman » December 22nd 2017, 9:07pm

Sweet deal! Dig that a lot! Merry Christmas!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » December 23rd 2017, 12:13am

That's purdy, and a steal, too. Merry Christmas, you New Yawker!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 23rd 2017, 8:47am

Rusty wrote:I have that one and despite the width of the case, it always feels so comfortable on my wrist.

That's the thing. I've slapped on 50mm a time or two and it doesn't work at all for me. This is a bit oversized, sure, but it doesn't feel heavy and the strap is particularly well made and supports it well. If it didn't look, well, normal, I wouldn't have bought it.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » December 24th 2017, 9:11am

TemerityB wrote:
Rusty wrote:I have that one and despite the width of the case, it always feels so comfortable on my wrist.

That's the thing. I've slapped on 50mm a time or two and it doesn't work at all for me. This is a bit oversized, sure, but it doesn't feel heavy and the strap is particularly well made and supports it well. If it didn't look, well, normal, I wouldn't have bought it.

Interestingly, in the midst of Christmas shopping madness the other day at work, I had another Invicter Sighting In the Wild. It was a guy (actually very pleasent) who was Warring a Sub-aqueer Homey EYE EYE EYE GODAM it. He was a pretty big guy, and the 50mm Nvicter looked clownish on him. The difference between that piece of shit and T's new Bullie is that T's watch looks cool.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Casimm » January 28th 2018, 12:44pm

I like it, looks good.
Casimm
Watchlord WIS

Return to Your New Watch