Grand Seiko SBGX091

Grand Seiko SBGX091

Postby biglove » September 14th 2017, 5:50pm

New to me and a bear to find one at a reasonable price. Glad I was able to get one as GS changed the dial designs, as we all are aware of, and I am not fond of the removal of "Seiko" at the upper center of the dial on the new version.

Crappy first pics do not do the finish and dial justice. Winding of the quartz movement is unlike any other I have encountered with a silky smoothness that is quite pleasing. Photos will never do justice.

I am beyond smitten. No wonder people pay the prices for them that they do. Glad I did and will again.

Last edited by biglove on September 14th 2017, 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: Grand Seiko SBGX091

Postby Racer-X » September 14th 2017, 5:56pm

That is beautiful, Congrats Travis.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » September 14th 2017, 6:05pm

Sparkle on, Zaratsu.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 14th 2017, 6:15pm

Quite a lovely Grand Seeko you've got... I really like the red GS logo. And the "magnetic resistant" inscription with the limit of the watch's capabilities also there somehow gives a dressy watch that tool watch spirit. You know, sort of a dressy tool watch, like the original IWC Ingenieur.

I'm not a fan of quartz - well, I won't be ranting against them not having a soul, as that's bollocks - but the motion of the second hand not being a constant sweeping one just has me bored. However, if there's a quartz that does give me the phallic reaction that some here tend to describe rather vividly, it's got to be that Seeko.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 14th 2017, 6:40pm

Thanks guys. I have a new appreciation of quartz this year.

Also looking at a pre-order of the Longines Conquest VHP reissue due out in November.
Last edited by biglove on September 14th 2017, 6:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » September 14th 2017, 6:44pm

Sharp as a tack, sir. Love those tales of waitin' one out. Nice job.
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » September 14th 2017, 6:53pm

TemerityB wrote:Sharp as a tack, sir. Love those tales of waitin' one out. Nice job.

Many thanks.

Between the Great White and the GS this year, with all the other changes we have been through, I am feeling extremely fortunate as I really thought it would be years before I could get both or even either one.

At this point I only long for a GMT II and a 18K Day-Date. There will always be other fun "buy to try" purchases but those are the next two goals.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » September 14th 2017, 8:04pm

That was fast, you made it sound like it would take a month. 9Fs are supreme. Congrats.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » September 14th 2017, 10:30pm

Dang. Fuck.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 14th 2017, 11:41pm

Fantastic :-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby artman » September 14th 2017, 11:50pm

That's another keeper for your badass collection!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » September 15th 2017, 3:41am

Good for you, an awesome watch that looks great on your wrist.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 15th 2017, 4:24am

Nice! red lettering is a cool touch ....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby ocean » September 15th 2017, 4:31am

I like it A LOT!
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » September 15th 2017, 4:33am

Gorgeous piece...you've good taste both in watches and dogs..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » September 15th 2017, 4:40am

A-1
FYI:

*In many cases, the reason for bringing in your watch service is from magnetism. Our watchmakers weigh in on some of your questions about magnetism and anti-magnetic watches:

Why do I need an anti-magnetic watch?
— You don’t necessarily need an anti-magnetic watch, although they are a great addition to your collection if you know you are going to be in an environment with stronger magnetic fields. Typically, the magnetic field you encounter daily won’t be strong enough to damage your watch. We recently had someone come with their watch that didn’t seem to be holding time. After further investigation, we found the watch was indeed magnetized and that the customer worked in a hospital which is full of magnetic fields.
What happens when my watch is magnetized & what do i do?
— Your watch may start to run erratically, either slowing down slightly or speeding up. In some instances the watch may stop completely. No matter how you watch is magnetized, it is important to take it in to a repair center for proper service to demagnetize the components.
Is there anything I can do to know if my watch is magnetized, without taking it in for repair?
— If you begin to notice that your watch may advance an hour on one afternoon, chances are it will be magnetized. You can also tell if your watch is magnetized by putting a pocket compass flat over the balance cock. If magnetic, the compass needle will vibrate or spin around the dial. If your watch is not magnetic, you won’t see the needle move. Either way, we suggest always taking it in for repair if you ever think something may be wrong with your timepiece.
Will excessive cell phone use cause my watch movement to be magnetized? If I sleep with my watch next to my iPad, alarm clock and phone, will it cause permanent damage?
— Excessive cell phone use won’t cause your watch to become magnetized but a cell phone itself can. If you take off your watch and leave it on, or next to, your cell phone at night or for an extended period of time, it can begin to affect the time. This also happens with an iPad or alarm clock. Some speakers that are not shielded inside can also cause your watch to become magnetized. If you’ve ever moved a speaker close to your television and seen interference, it will also damage your watch.
Assuming that there are not other issues happening, if my watch gets magnetized, then corrected and then magnetized and corrected again…is there a possibility of permanent damage?
— There is not typically permanent damage with magnetizing a movement, only that you need to demagnetize it again. We do suggest keeping an eye on what may be magnetizing the watch so you can look at how to avoid it happening again. In extreme cases replacing the balance, hairspring, mainspring and other affected parts of the movement may be necessary, which can be determined when a watchmaker examines your timepiece.
When traveling, will the security checks affect my watch?
— Normally, the security points in an airport or metal detector arches won’t damage your watch. We do recommend avoiding placing your watch next to your iPad or Laptop, or even wrapping it in something and putting it in your bag. Don’t use the little bowl for change to put your watch through, there are some magnets in the motors that pull the belt that may affect the watch. The further away from the magnets, be better! Keeping your watch in your bag will also help avoid leaving your watch behind for someone to steal!
What level of magnetism is likely to affect my watch?
— Different strengths of magnetism can affect the watch in various ways. A lower field can cause the watch to run faster but will typically return to normal after the exposure subsides. A medium intensity causes a watch to run fast until it is serviced while a high intensity can stop a watch. Such things as putting your watch on a magnetic clasp or cell phone for extended periods can cause damages.

*GovBerg OnTime
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » September 15th 2017, 5:56am

Thanks, all. Hmm...wonder if I can write it off as a piece of required medical gear for my job, Wasp? *wink*
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Rusty » September 15th 2017, 6:48am

omedetou gozaimasu, Biggie!
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » September 15th 2017, 11:17am

biglove wrote:...Winding of the quartz movement is unlike any other I have encountered with a silky smoothness that is quite pleasing.

Wait, what?
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » September 15th 2017, 12:08pm

Racer-X wrote:
biglove wrote:...Winding of the quartz movement is unlike any other I have encountered with a silky smoothness that is quite pleasing.

Wait, what?

Well, hell. That should have said, "setting the time," not winding.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AntFarm » September 15th 2017, 3:04pm

God damn that is quite nice...
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby SynMike » September 15th 2017, 3:49pm

Beautiful.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » September 15th 2017, 6:55pm

You're doomed now. Congrats.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » September 15th 2017, 7:40pm

Ha! I'm working on getting my first GS diver.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » September 15th 2017, 7:46pm

tiktok wrote:Ha! I'm working on getting my first GS diver.

Recommended!

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Next

Return to Your New Watch