New Arrival: Omega Aqua Terra

New Arrival: Omega Aqua Terra

Postby SynMike » September 8th 2017, 4:35pm

Omega Aqua Terra Quartz 2517.50
Black Dial 39mm

I have wanted this older model for a long time as a basic business watch. I had the silver dial with co-axial movement 7 or 8 years ago. But I wanted the black dial. I also wanted this Omega quartz movement for business travel. With crown half way out you can adjust only the hour hand in 1 hour increments. When you adjust the hour hand past midnight either forward or backward the date changes up or down to match. It is perfect for travel across multiple time zones.

It's 39mm but looks a bit bigger to my eyes. The model I had before was 42mm and I think this is a little better fit for my taste in such a simple style.

No box or spare links but the price was right so I can live without them. It needs some polishing and brushing. Only one very minor ding in a lug that will never come out. I think I'll get it looking new otherwise. I think I'll keep it for many years so not having those for resale is a nonissue. Plus I bought it from a guy with many more and it seems he likes to flip so maybe a source for more later. If I just add a Speedmaster Pro my Omega collection will be complete.

iPhone picture. I'll get better pictures in the light tent in the near future.

Oh and while I am posting here is the other model that I used to own.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Re: New Arrival: Omega Aqua Terra

Postby biglove » September 8th 2017, 5:12pm

Fantastic addition to the collection.

You wouldn't want to share the seller's info, eh?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » September 8th 2017, 5:18pm

Nice pickup Syn. That's gotta be the most soulful quartz I've ever seen.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 8th 2017, 5:32pm

Lovely ATs, both of them. It certainly appears fairly big (visually- ""lyre lugs" Omegas have fairly short lug-to-lug distance), probably due to well-proportioned dial features, a not particularly wide bezel, and rather sleek hands.

As to the movement, guess Omega made the quickset hour hand something of a speciality of theirs... It's also a feature of the cal. 8500 and its further derivatives, but there, it comes at the expense of the date quickset (likely because it would make the keyless works excessively complicated, if they'd have added the date quickset function)- date is advanced by moving the hour hand 24h forward, which is almost a throwback to the early semi-quickset Omega movements (date set by changing 21-24h).
Dunno how is it with the quartz.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 8th 2017, 5:39pm

Perfect size for a perfect watch.

The goat-lube it.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby jaw » September 8th 2017, 5:50pm

Love the simplicity of that one. Makes me want to reconsider the '57 Trilogy Railmaster.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » September 8th 2017, 5:52pm

Yep, black dial is the one for me. Really nice Mike.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » September 8th 2017, 6:11pm

I have the same color and size in auto. Most comfortable bracelet out there, enjoy.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » September 8th 2017, 6:23pm

Beautiful watch, congrats!
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby ocean » September 8th 2017, 6:56pm

Nice!
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 8th 2017, 7:01pm

The AT is the business
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 8th 2017, 7:19pm

This is the perfect watch!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 8th 2017, 8:22pm

Man, this place is goin' AT crazy.

Who can blame ya?
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » September 8th 2017, 9:48pm

Thanks for all the kind comments, even accepting that its quartz. ;-)
No quick date set. You have to wind forward 24 hours at the end of short months. But that is just clicking the hour hand forward only - pretty fast anyway.

:-( So I decided to try washing the watch, get grunge off the back and out of the bracelet. I knew I was taking a bit of a chance on an 8 year old watch and I went relatively easy on the amount of water. ...

Well, it is clearly nowhere near 150m water resistant. Mist on the inside of the crystal. So I have the back off, battery out and it is sitting on our dehumidifier to dry for the weekend. I guess I will get my repair guy to put in new seals some time in the near future.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 9th 2017, 12:39am

conjurer wrote:This is the perfect watch!!

Yup...but 'cepting that it's a quarts wartch, accourse. :oops:
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 9th 2017, 4:57am

SynMike wrote::-( So I decided to try washing the watch, get grunge off the back and out of the bracelet. I knew I was taking a bit of a chance on an 8 year old watch and I went relatively easy on the amount of water. ...

Well, it is clearly nowhere near 150m water resistant. Mist on the inside of the crystal. So I have the back off, battery out and it is sitting on our dehumidifier to dry for the weekend. I guess I will get my repair guy to put in new seals some time in the near future.

Crown not screwed down properly, or a gasket issue...
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » September 9th 2017, 6:38am

Too bad about the seal, good thing you found out about it early though. That watch is nice looking, really nice looking. I'm glad you found what you were looking for.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Rusty » September 9th 2017, 8:09am

YUP! Congrats and enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 9th 2017, 8:13am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
SynMike wrote::-( So I decided to try washing the watch, get grunge off the back and out of the bracelet. I knew I was taking a bit of a chance on an 8 year old watch and I went relatively easy on the amount of water. ...

Probably. Or a previous owner tried to do his own battery change at some point, or something like that.

Back in my early days of the hobby, I met up with another WIS for coffee and he had on a very pretty TAG dive watch; he was one of those guys who liked putzing around with his mechanical watches, cracking the back and trying to adjust 'em, to get the best accuracy. I asked if he knew what he was doing, at least in terms of resealing the watch after he was done fucking with it; he said, not really, but I'm not diving with it, and I'll probably end up selling it soon, anyway. He was actually a pretty good guy, and I'm pretty sure if and when he sold it he would add a caveat about the gaskets needing to be checked, but there are plenty of guys out there who probably wouldn't.

So, it's a good practice not to trust the WR of a pre-owned watch.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 9th 2017, 12:16pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Probably. Or a previous owner tried to do his own battery change at some point, or something like that.

Back in my early days of the hobby, I met up with another WIS for coffee and he had on a very pretty TAG dive watch; he was one of those guys who liked putzing around with his mechanical watches, cracking the back and trying to adjust 'em, to get the best accuracy. I asked if he knew what he was doing, at least in terms of resealing the watch after he was done fucking with it; he said, not really, but I'm not diving with it, and I'll probably end up selling it soon, anyway. He was actually a pretty good guy, and I'm pretty sure if and when he sold it he would add a caveat about the gaskets needing to be checked, but there are plenty of guys out there who probably wouldn't.

So, it's a good practice not to trust the WR of a pre-owned watch.

For that matter, it's better not to trust claims of a recent service either, unless a receipt for it is included.

And indeed, it's best to have a pre-owned watch inspected after purchase - it's only a matter of a simple pressure test, which takes only a few minutes.

Could be an old gasket - most manufacturers recommend pressure testing every 1-2 years, and if there be a need, replacing the gaskets - or indeed someone could have had it misplaced or damaged while changing the battery on their own. Could also be a faulty gasket (flawed batches of parts happen...), the Omega forum on WUS has seen more than a few cases, where even brand new Planet Oceans and SMPs have leaked.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Your New Watch