Edox Grand Ocean

Edox Grand Ocean

Postby TemerityB » August 22nd 2017, 9:55am

Those who know me here know one of my favorite watches is my Edox Grand Ocean Chronometer, which I continue to insist is one of the best-made watches I own, regardless of the price point. Couldn't resist this one - yeah, another Grand Ocean.

Not nearly as lavish as the other GO, but not bad: Movement is the "Edox 88," which in reality is a glorified Sellita SW 220-1, which is the same as the SW-200 but with a day/date function; 38 hour power reserve (we'll see); 300/990 water claim; saphhire; once again, one of the best deployant clasps on any brand at any price point (tried to get a shot, but to no avail); ceramic bezel; rubber, which I like best but I realize most of the free world doesn't; full company warranty since picked up through an authorized dealer; and, best of all, a $1,850 list that I didn't even touch the hem of.

I realize that Edox of late has popped up on Bovine from time to time, but I remain a fan, as I haven't been able to find a fault with the one I own, so I jumped again. The other night in the chat box, I said I was saving my pennies for something really nice. I lied again; this just hit all my sweet spots.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Edox Grand Ocean

Postby tiktok » August 22nd 2017, 10:07am

Congrats, lots of watch for the price. I like your commitment to the brand the way I admire Thunder's love of Ebel. Well wear in good health and bring a little class to Roosevelt Field now.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » August 22nd 2017, 10:31am

I would love to get an Edox, your other Grand Ocean turned me on to them. It's too big for me though. I keep looking at what they have, like Alpina, and keep hoping they make one in my wrist size that isn't a quartz.

You have good taste in watches T.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » August 22nd 2017, 10:34am

I see nothing wrong with this one. Especially like the yellow hand and bezel accents. Case size?
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » August 22nd 2017, 10:51am

Simply put-

That's fuckin' beautiful.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » August 22nd 2017, 11:25am

biglove wrote:I see nothing wrong with this one. Especially like the yellow hand and bezel accents. Case size?

45mm. Oh, and the hands and indices have lume; moderately decent. Just spend an hour outside and now they're glowing adequately.
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby AntFarm » August 22nd 2017, 11:32am

Whoa TB that is a really beautiful watch. I love the dimension in the dial and bezel is killer. I like the accents on the strap.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » August 22nd 2017, 12:06pm

Stunning watch, TB, absolutely stunning! I have an old Edox hi-beat with a face & case that only a mother could love, but this one doesn't have that problem at all! I hope you'll give us your impressions of the movement once you've had it a while, as this is one -- of many! :oops: -- that I know little or nothing about. Definitely a keeper! Congratulations & well done, TB... 8-)
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » August 22nd 2017, 12:12pm

Good looking watch. I like the different colored lume of the minute hand. Surprising that it isn't done more often. Congrats.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Rusty » August 22nd 2017, 2:05pm

I like the Edox brand...congrats and enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby hcharles » August 22nd 2017, 4:29pm

Congratulations Temerity. That is one fine watch.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 22nd 2017, 6:15pm

Owning an Edox (I think it's from before they switched from ETA to Sellita) myself, I have to agree that they're really well made.

Enjoy it!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » August 22nd 2017, 6:40pm

Wow, thanks for all the upbeat comments. Since you're all bein' so kind, I'll address some comments:

@tokker: Hey, you're a New Yorker. Remember the old ad line: "I shop at Macy's but I buy at Alexander's"? In my case, sure, I browse at Roosevelt Field, but I buy on 57th Street. Watch shopping in NYC is yet another reason I love my city so much.

@mort: I already own about three watches with SW200s so I can't imagine this will be much different. I have been really wrong in the past; I used to pooh-pooh SW200s as a 2824 clone, but I haven't had a problem with them at all. The bashing was unwarranted.

@fog: High praise coming from the legendarily hard-to-please rooster. Thanks.

@mark: The hands are what sold this one. The look of the blue sweep second and the yellowish orangish minute. Against the SS look of the dial, they really pop. Instead of the 10,353th use of "Mercedes" hands on yet another diver, this just looked sleek and different.

To everyone else, thanks for chiming in. I don't know how Edox rates among serious WIS, but I say try one on, then tell me what you think. One of the best bangs for the buck, as least where I live.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » August 22nd 2017, 7:57pm

That's fucking beautiful, T. Congrats, goddamn it!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » August 22nd 2017, 8:04pm

Very handsome watch, TB, Congrats.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » August 23rd 2017, 8:25am

Edox has really grown on me. The quality is apparent in the pictures and you can't beat the price.

Enjoy that one, probably my favorite model of the ones I've seen posted here.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 23rd 2017, 10:50am

Thanks all.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » August 23rd 2017, 2:02pm

Nice catch TB. Oh to shop on 57th Street.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jaw » August 23rd 2017, 2:47pm

Love that yellow hand. Gonna have to take a closer look at Edox. Ver ver nice TayBay.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 25th 2017, 12:54pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Owning an Edox (I think it's from before they switched from ETA to Sellita) myself, I have to agree that they're really well made.

Actually: Edox hasn't switched from ETA to Sellita - virtually all their autos are still ETA. Check out the movements of their autos even via their website, and you can see that most auto models are still packed with ETAs, from Valjoux calibers to 2824s. The watch I picked up is probably the least expensive MSRP in the GO line, and therefore the Sellita inside. Their 2017/2018 catalog lists all ETA autos save for this model and one other with Sellita, plus one Seaprod and one Venus, which essentially is ETA, too, and packed inside a limited edition "anniversary" series watch if memory serves.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Britboy » August 25th 2017, 2:05pm

Look's good
Well done
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Your New Watch