Could this be the last watch I ever buy?

Could this be the last watch I ever buy?

Postby artman » June 27th 2017, 8:10pm

Not much has been written about the Tudor Glamour Date Day. Recently, if is not the Black Bay, North Flag or the Pelagos, then nobody really gives any love to the other models in the Tudor family. Maybe it's the actual name of this model... Glamour. No wonder nobody wants to write about this watch. The Black Bay sounds like something a pirate would wear; North Flag sounds like it belongs in the summit of Everest and Pelagos just sounds frickn badass! Glamour sounds ghey. There I said it. Ghey, ghey ghey ghey ghey! Honestly this was almost a deal breaker for me but dammit when I saw it I knew I had to have this, but it took me several trips to the AD (and a couple PMs to Dr. Smells and Conjurer) to justify the purchase. You see, typically I'm a cheap ass bastard and this would be the most expensive thing I've purchased just for myself. So I got over the ghey name and the price tag (by telling my wife that this will be the last watch I ever buy) and made the deal.

So without any further adoo-doo I present to you my shiny new Tudor Glamour Date Day (56000).

Dayam, even the box is pretty!

Specs
39mm of stainless steel sexiness.

Barely 11mm thin and a silver sunburst dial that I find myself staring into a lot.

ETA 2834 movement, 38 hour power reserve, Sapphire crystal, Signed crown.

And checkout this band... even the clasp is classy!

So, will this be the last watch that I ever buy? You know, if it is, I would be alright with it because I actually feel that my collection is complete. I may have the most humble collection in the club, but I'm actually content with what I have. Dangit that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for allowing me to share.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Could this be the last watch I ever buy?

Postby smellody » June 27th 2017, 8:28pm

Wow!!!! Huge congratulations. It looks great. You got it right!!! Sexy and classy!!! Super nice. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Racer-X » June 27th 2017, 8:30pm

Holy shit Artie! The watch and the name are elegant, Congrats.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » June 27th 2017, 8:34pm

Not a damned thing wrong with it, even the name. Congrats on a watch that will become an heirloom.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » June 27th 2017, 9:13pm

Outstanding! Can't get enough of the brand myself. Congrats!
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » June 27th 2017, 9:21pm

The bracelet looks awesome....if you figure out a pill to stop buying watches I'm in.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » June 27th 2017, 9:53pm

That's pure fucking class, that is. Great write-up and pics, too.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » June 27th 2017, 10:33pm

Thanks for the kind words! I'm totally loving this watch a lot. I know it's practically the same movement as my Hamilton Khaki, but when I first put it on after the AD sized it for my wrist, it was frik'n magical. What makes a Tudor so special? Now I know.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » June 27th 2017, 11:02pm

artman wrote:Thanks for the kind words! I'm totally loving this watch a lot. I know it's practically the same movement as my Hamilton Khaki, but when I first put it on after the AD sized it for my wrist, it was frik'n magical. What makes a Tudor so special? Now I know.

Quite so, arty. I recall the first time I ever saw the brand, many years ago. I was in college, and was into watches. I went into a campus jewelers, who sold both Rolex and Tudor. Even though I didn't have the cash to buy a Tudor (much less a Rollie) the salesman showed me several Rolexes. I saw the Tudors in the case and asked about those, and the salesman, who must have been a rare imbecile, sniffed, "Oh, that's Tudor. Those are for people who can't afford Rolex."

Many years later, at a GTG with some of the Watchlords, Mark1 showed me his Tooter Hydronaut. It was the first time I handled one, and I said, "I finally get the Tudor thing." Later, Dr. Smells graciously sold me one of his Tooters.

While I still love what the Japanese can make, the better Swiss watches have something going for them that only the very good Japanese stuff can match; they feel right. They feel like quality, like a lot of work went into them, like they were designed very well, that they didn't turn out good by accident.

So, congrats on your purchase. I believe you made a very wise choice.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » June 28th 2017, 2:48am

Always been a sucker for a sunburst dial.
Congrats on a beautiful piece
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » June 28th 2017, 2:58am

Arty, as your friend and an admitted compulsive collector of things myself over the years, I would counsel you to avoid making any claim that this is your last watch, unless you think you can always make it to the mailbox before your beloved does. (And it takes only one loss of that particular race to bring the wrath of God down upon your neuron-storage melon; trust me, I know...listen to your Uncle Mort here!)

Watches are fucking insidious things, almost like opioids; they get deep into your psyche, driving you to buy ever more quantity and ever-higher quality, until you're laying on skid-row, rolling up your sleeve and eye-balling that Patek laying there on your wrist and realizing that this is rock-bottom... You lost your job, your house, your wife and your kids, all for WHAT? A Calatrava?

STOP WHILE YOU STILL CAN, Arty! Send it back! Or, better YET; remove that temptation, and at the same time, make it so you can't just go back and re-purchase the thing: send it to ME, and I will dispose of it properly...

All kidding aside, it's a real beauty, Arty, and obviously, I'm greener than a doodlebug with envy, but I'm also pleased inordinately for you, my friend. It is a reward that you obviously richly deserve, and I hope you have many hundreds -- and even thousands -- of happy hours of enjoyment from it for years to come.

But my first piece of advice still stands: avoid, when and wherever possible, telling your spouse that this or that is the last anything you're gonna buy; it's the road to marital perdition, my friend...
;)

Gunter. Globen. Glaussen. Glieben.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » June 28th 2017, 3:41am

artman wrote:39mm of stainless steel sexiness.

That ^.

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Datsun240Z71 » June 28th 2017, 4:20am

Superb. Good for you!
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » June 28th 2017, 6:28am

Seems like you have a thing for day-dates..this is your 2nd one, right?...a nice looking watch...congrats!!!...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AntFarm » June 28th 2017, 6:40am

Classy and beautiful. I love the dial. I can see why you find yourself staring at it.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » June 28th 2017, 6:50am

Perfect watch/perfect size. Nice.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby SaoGage » June 28th 2017, 6:56am

Fantastic watch! Just can't go wrong with Tudor right now, they're on fire.

Congratulations! Wear in the best of health.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » June 28th 2017, 7:12am

That smooth bezel is sooooooo clean. You have a winner. Dibs.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby svaglic » June 28th 2017, 9:26am

Good for you Arty, I'm happy for you.
As for the promise to the wife, I'm sure she will understand when you purchase a few more. If not, hopefully you will get this watch in the divorce. All joking and kidding aside, it is a very nice watch, you deserve to sit back and enjoy for a bit.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MAX » June 28th 2017, 9:43am

Beautiful and 39mm is the perfect size.

Last watch though? I doubt it.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby Mark1 » June 28th 2017, 9:56am

Nice watch. Not the last, just the beginning, Tudor is a gateway watch. Congrats.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Nuvolari » June 28th 2017, 9:50pm

Holy crap, Artie - that extra-super-gheyly-named Tootar is completely BADASS!! Well done, Sir!

Except for that last part - the whole last watch thing. EVERY watch is the LAST watch, verdammit! So, yes, yes it is... Right up until Smells sells his stainless GMT Master ][ or a similar it-would-be-crazy-to-not-seize-this-opportunity opportunity. :D

But this watch is so beautiful I could see where you could convince yourself earnestly... And you will love it no less at the enviable juncture where something captures your eye and tickles your special area in such a special way that it makes you proud to fart in church.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » June 29th 2017, 6:38am

That's goddamned beautiful. The case and bracelet are my favorite.

A hell of a lot better than anything Seiko can put out for their Aussie fanboys.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » June 29th 2017, 7:02am

Last watch? Not likely.

Reminds me of an old buddy who proclaimed quitting smoking was in fact very easy - he had done it hundreds of times.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » June 29th 2017, 7:33am

If that's a finale? Here's a standing ovation.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Your New Watch