On it's way

On it's way

Postby Tzimisces » May 30th 2017, 6:14pm

Just purchased a vintage Orient Star from Watch CTI, a Japanese store. They have many beautiful (and rare) vintage watches, including Swiss.
This is an early example, exact year is hard to pin down, but it can't be earlier than '55, and probably no later than '57. Overhauled in March, it is ready to wear. 34mm of vintage goodness.
I ordered it last night about 9:30EST, and when I got home from work I had an email from one Takashi Kojima, telling me it had been shipped 19 hours previously. Man, I love doing business with the Japanese. They don't fuck around.
Seller's pics:

“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Re: On it's way

Postby foghorn » May 30th 2017, 6:34pm

That's a classy watch. I hope you're not using it as a work watch.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 30th 2017, 6:39pm

That's one hell of a looker!

The case is in good shape, the contrast polishing intact... I wonder how is the shock protection in that movement designed, as I can see no spring over the capstone above the balance staff... Must be something similar to Wyler's Incaflex design. Got to love that dial, looks spotless.

One risk in buying vintage stuff from Japan is that if a watch is redialed, it's bloody hard to tell- the Japanese have mastered that to perfection. This one appears original, nicely aged, and in a stunning condition.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » May 30th 2017, 8:14pm

Very nice, I can't wait to see your pictures and review.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 30th 2017, 10:08pm

Goddamn, Tz, that's real fucking class, that is.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jaw » May 30th 2017, 11:33pm

Man, that is so nice!
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » May 31st 2017, 1:42am

Cool!! :okk:
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » May 31st 2017, 1:46am

That is gorgeous, I'm so jealous!
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » May 31st 2017, 3:39am

Quite a looker!!...you have good taste, sir..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » May 31st 2017, 5:02am

Gawd, that watch is in incredible condition. And is a stunner.

Look forward to your photos and impressions.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » May 31st 2017, 5:12am

A piece from the Golden Age era of America, a beauty.

Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » May 31st 2017, 4:31pm

foghorn wrote:That's a classy watch. I hope you're not using it as a work watch.

That's why I have Seiko 5s.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » May 31st 2017, 4:49pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:That's one hell of a looker!

The case is in good shape, the contrast polishing intact... I wonder how is the shock protection in that movement designed, as I can see no spring over the capstone above the balance staff... Must be something similar to Wyler's Incaflex design. Got to love that dial, looks spotless.

One risk in buying vintage stuff from Japan is that if a watch is redialed, it's bloody hard to tell- the Japanese have mastered that to perfection. This one appears original, nicely aged, and in a stunning condition.

I appreciate you expert opinion. I like vintage, but I'm a neophyte. I've been following CTI for a while, and have seen a few I wanted come and go. Fifties era Orients are fairly rare, yet relatively inexpensive. This one, with shipping, was just over $400. So, with the wife's encouragement, I bit. I'm kind of cheap when it comes to luxury purchases for myself; I always feel a bit guilty.
They have some great King and Grand Seiko's, including, currently, the High Beat that Abduksion mentioned in the 3 grand thread.

As for the shock protection, I haven't the slightest idea, except that in the 60's some dials were marked "Incabloc".
Last edited by Tzimisces on May 31st 2017, 5:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » May 31st 2017, 4:55pm

I appreciate the kind words, and will post soon The watch arrived today (ordered Monday night). They didn't offer any shipping options, just a flat rate to various zones. It was 3000 yen (about $27.00), and I had no idea it was essentially next day. Remarkable, and I thought Seiya and Higuchi were fast.
Coincidentally, my 3rd grandchild was born today. 8lbs 11oz and 20" long. Perfect and healthy, and Mom is doing fine.

Just a good day all the way around!
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 31st 2017, 4:58pm

Tzimisces wrote:I appreciate the kind words, and will post soon The watch arrived today (ordered Monday night). They didn't offer any shipping options, just a flat rate to various zones. It was 3000 yen (about $27.00), and I had no idea it was essentially next day. Remarkable, and I thought Seiya and Higuchi were fast.
Coincidentally, my 3rd grandchild was born today. 8lbs 11oz and 20" long. Perfect and healthy, and Mom is doing fine.

Just a good day all the way around!

Congrats on the new grandkid, old man!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » May 31st 2017, 5:02pm

Yeah, but I'm only 52. If I make it to 70 I can see him graduate. Marrying young has some benefits down the road.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » May 31st 2017, 5:26pm

These watches are raised in a culture where proper care for material goods is an art.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 31st 2017, 6:23pm

Tzimisces wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:That's one hell of a looker!

I appreciate you expert opinion. I like vintage, but I'm a neophyte. I've been following CTI for a while, and have seen a few I wanted come and go. Fifties era Orients are fairly rare, yet relatively inexpensive. This one, with shipping, was just over $400. So, with the wife's encouragement, I bit. I'm kind of cheap when it comes to luxury purchases for myself; I always feel a bit guilty.
They have some great King and Grand Seiko's, including, currently, the High Beat that Abduksion mentioned in the 3 grand thread.

As for the shock protection, I haven't the slightest idea, except that in the 60's some dials were marked "Incabloc".

$400? Uhhhh, good that I've swallowed that sip of tea before I've seen it, otherwise the tea would have been sprayed all over the desk. That's pricey for a vintage Japanese time-only watch- part of the appeal of Japanese watches is that they're usually a lot of watch for little money... Then again, you've bought from a dealer, and dealers' prices are usually nuts- but since this one comes fully serviced, part of the price is likely the cost of the overhaul, and I don't think service rates are low in Japan.

As to shock devices... I could talk about that for quite a while.

For example, here's the anatomy of Incabloc:
(pic from the Internets)

In most shock-protected movements, you'll see some sort of a spring on the capstone of the balance staff assembly (on both sides). I can't see one in the movement of your watch, which- as the dial suggests- should have a Shock-Resist (aka Shockresist). Then again, there were quite a few types of Shock-Resist. It may be, that your movement has a circular Super Shock- Resist, with the arms concealed by that gold plate surrounding the balance capstone:

Super Shock-Resist, pic from the Internets

The only shock protection without a visible spring that I'm familiar with is Wyler-Incaflex, where there simply was no spring, but instead there were elastic balance wheel spokes, which prevented the weight of the wheel from causing damage to the pivots during shocks.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » May 31st 2017, 7:55pm

Interesting. Information about vintage orients can be tough to come by.
As you've illustrated several times, there are many pitfalls for a newb, so a reputable dealer has some obvious attractions.
I really didn't feel I got hosed. How much should I expect to pay for a watch in that condition that hadn't been serviced?
Another question: Do you have any recommendations for someone who services/repairs Orients? I have a 60's vintage that has Mt Fuji on the dial. Not working, but I paid like $10 for it. I came across that model a couple of years ago, but I can't find it again. My guess is that it was for the '64 Olympics. I'd like to get it restored, but I want it done right.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » May 31st 2017, 8:15pm

Tzimisces wrote:Yeah, but I'm only 52. If I make it to 70 I can see him graduate. Marrying young has some benefits down the road.

Congrats on the new addition to the family. I am 48 and my oldest is almost 30, married six years, and still no grandkids. Damnit!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » May 31st 2017, 8:59pm

Tzimisces wrote:Another question: Do you have any recommendations for someone who services/repairs Orients? I have a 60's vintage that has Mt Fuji on the dial. Not working, but I paid like $10 for it. I came across that model a couple of years ago, but I can't find it again. My guess is that it was for the '64 Olympics. I'd like to get it restored, but I want it done right.

I would contact Orient direct--and I mean in Japan. Don't bother with OUSA--those clowns couldn't find their assholes with a funnel.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » May 31st 2017, 9:13pm

conjurer wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:Another question: Do you have any recommendations for someone who services/repairs Orients? I have a 60's vintage that has Mt Fuji on the dial. Not working, but I paid like $10 for it. I came across that model a couple of years ago, but I can't find it again. My guess is that it was for the '64 Olympics. I'd like to get it restored, but I want it done right.

I would contact Orient direct--and I mean in Japan. Don't bother with OUSA--those clowns couldn't find their assholes with a funnel.

Concur 110% with Conjurer on this issue. Additionally, I've had a lot of luck in servicing my old Japanese (and even vintage Chinese) movements in shops where Seiko's are sold and serviced. Same-same for Citizen. (I'm also blessed to have a little bombastic Japanese bastard fellow who was able to dig right in to an old Freshman Orient that was acting badly, and he fixed it right up.) Lastly, just about any successful Jeweler in your community is gonna know someone who can work on these watches, so that might be a good first stop for you.

It's an awesomely beautiful watch, tzimmy...best of luck with her!
8-)
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » May 31st 2017, 11:22pm

Tzimisces wrote:Yeah, but I'm only 52. If I make it to 70 I can see him graduate. Marrying young has some benefits down the road.

No doubt there are benefits to doing so. However it should be noted that doing so twice does not double the benefits but rather halves them even under the best of circumstances. Additional attempts produce negative advantages.

That aside I have taken great comfort in my local GS AD having gotten his start in watch repair and he has a benign attitude toward my pre-Laler Glycine which has taken a swan dive onto the tile floor at the hotel. So far, happily, it appears its anti-shock mechanism is working well. I'd have to verify older Japanese but I'm guessing the odds are on my side. Several retail purchases from that guy appear to have considerable benefits vis a vis grey-market or JDM product - time will tell I suppose.

I regrettably also concur with the previous appraisal of Orient USA which seems to have slipped Orient's leash some time ago if indeed there ever was a leash.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » June 1st 2017, 4:49pm

Mortuus wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Concur 110% with Conjurer on this issue. Additionally, I've had a lot of luck in servicing my old Japanese (and even vintage Chinese) movements in shops where Seiko's are sold and serviced. Same-same for Citizen. (I'm also blessed to have a little bombastic Japanese bastard fellow who was able to dig right in to an old Freshman Orient that was acting badly, and he fixed it right up.) Lastly, just about any successful Jeweler in your community is gonna know someone who can work on these watches, so that might be a good first stop for you.

It's an awesomely beautiful watch, tzimmy...best of luck with her!
8-)

Probably go the Orient route. We're talking Richmond, and watchmakers are pretty scarce in these parts.
Concur on OUSA. Fuck those mugs.

BTW, I was wrong about the package arriving. I mistook a package from China for my wife for mine from Japan. I couldn't tell the writing apart without my reading glasses. As of yesterday evening it was in New York, which is still commendably fast.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » June 2nd 2017, 3:32pm

Arrived today.
The dial has more of a patina than the seller's pics showed. Wound beautifully, and thus far is keeping good time.
Came with a 6 month guarantee as well.

I have to go to North Carolina tomorrow, but I'll try to get pics up soon.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Your New Watch