Just in. Flame suit on. Green is my new blue.

Just in. Flame suit on. Green is my new blue.

Postby foghorn » May 30th 2017, 11:05am

After seeing a couple of these posted at TZ (of all places) and taking advantage of a holiday weekend sale I ordered one of these bad boys. I never really understood the dislike for the brand , but we all have opinions. Some hate Smiths and I'm not a big Orient but that's what makes these places fun. I agree that Stan Boostacsh sold out and made some unsubstantiated claims about his product but there are some decent Deep Blues out there for OK prices. This one was 160 after the deal.

44 mm, WR 300 m., NH35 movement, Sapphire crystal, and a surprisingly supple silicon strap Plus it's freakin' GREEN. Makes for a fun summer bang around .

Beefy

Adequate lume in case anyone should ask

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Just in. Flame suit on. Green is my new blue.

Postby biglove » May 30th 2017, 11:32am

I am eyeballing a green Certina DS Action with HAQ. Wish it was that price.

Lovely green.

Oh, and screw Betosh in the ear.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » May 30th 2017, 11:54am

I'm indifferent to Deep Blue, and divers in general. I like that green though. I'd wear it.
Nice pickup.
I like the bezel to dial ratio.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Rusty » May 30th 2017, 12:03pm

I have a yellow version of that watch that I wear on a DB nato--very nice and it keeps great time. Enjoy.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 30th 2017, 12:39pm

Green is indeed the new blue ;) love mine...nice pickup, enjoy it!!
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » May 30th 2017, 12:43pm

Good deal. What is that other time-knob for - locking the bezel?
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 30th 2017, 1:07pm

gerdson wrote:Good deal. What is that other time-knob for - locking the bezel?

That is the very useful and helium release valve knob that keeps my watch from damage as a result of my many deep diving forays.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby SaoGage » May 30th 2017, 4:20pm

Nothing wrong with liking a Deep Blue watch or Deep Blue in general. It's always shades of "whatever works for you." More than anything else, I just find the majority of their divers far too large (last time I gave their website a hard looksy, I remember pretty much everything being 46mm except maybe one or two models).

Regardless, green dials are always cool! Enjoy man.
Last edited by SaoGage on May 30th 2017, 4:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » May 30th 2017, 4:21pm

Not a bad looking watch. I do like the green dial. There are some tempting Deep Blue models, but I wish they ran a little smaller in case size. Congrats, now put another coat of stain on the deck.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby bobbee » May 30th 2017, 4:29pm

Lovely colour, great case shape and not too big (for me).
I like your'n too Eddie.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby artman » May 30th 2017, 6:37pm

I am green with envy and have a hulking boner to prove it.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » May 30th 2017, 8:24pm

Deep Blue isn't bad, I have a couple 1000m's that were some of the first ones on Shop and they are durable. I was rough on them, but they held up well and still work great.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 30th 2017, 10:04pm

That's a nice one, foggy!! Is the dial kelly green or emerald green?
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 30th 2017, 10:04pm

Mark1 wrote:Congrats, now put another coat of stain on the deck.

TMMLH.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Bigjimzlll » May 31st 2017, 2:18am

It sure is green....
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » May 31st 2017, 5:19am

conjurer wrote:That's a nice one, foggy!! Is the dial kelly green or emerald green?

It are a forest gump green with a splash of chartreuse yew kolour blind maroon!

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby PiningforElgin » July 5th 2017, 10:07pm

Deep Blue watches are too big for me personally. But I dig the logo. Nice acquisition
PiningforElgin

Postby Mortuus » July 5th 2017, 11:38pm

Given that GREEN is this particular dead person's favorite color, the watch is a hit with me. DB is one of those brands that I personally have never had any problems with, and I've always liked the look of them. I own a DB Sun Diver III in orange, with the SW-200 onboard, and the size is also 44mm, but the height on it isn't as dramatic as most of them, thus making it a manageable -- even comfortable -- watch for most activities.

Your's is a very cool watch, and, most important of all, the green will match these:

:mrgreen: Image :mrgreen: Image :mrgreen: Image :mrgreen: Image :mrgreen:

Tis uh shame it woant go whiff yore Limes because their its orrindge, & wot-knot. Ware that Bald Buoy 'n goot helth and nomminal hijean, Fogy...
:???:
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » July 6th 2017, 3:49am

Lube the goat!
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby MAX » July 6th 2017, 6:45am

Very nice. Greens and yellows are tricky fellows, can look great or washed out. Orange also. That green appears very well toned. Deep Blue colors are usually very vibrant.
I own the same watch but in black as well as a few other Deep Blues. Never a problem and one of the few large watches I can manage.
Couple of years ago I wouldnt have even thought about a green dial but am enjoying my moss agate stone dial.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby PiningforElgin » July 7th 2017, 9:36pm

Btw - what exactly made people really hate Deep Blue as a brand?

If they make knock-off "subs", so do Tissot with the Seastar line, or Certina DS Action (both of which I love). Personally I prefer the Tissot Seastar Powermatic but spec-wise you gotta say the Deep Blue Swiss version with Sellita is a high-beat diver unlike the Powermatic
PiningforElgin

Postby jaw » July 7th 2017, 11:09pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Btw - what exactly made people really hate Deep Blue as a brand?

If they make knock-off "subs", so do Tissot with the Seastar line, or Certina DS Action (both of which I love). Personally I prefer the Tissot Seastar Powermatic but spec-wise you gotta say the Deep Blue Swiss version with Sellita is a high-beat diver unlike the Powermatic

I have a few,

They started out pretty good. Even though they copied early (Oris). Then they got greedy, cheap, and inconsistent in terms of QC. For me, anything after the first Aqua Marine is suspect.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 7th 2017, 11:18pm

I like the one Foggie bought- I've always thought they were nice looking but I've never liked them enough to buy one, the later QC and so forth issues aside.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » July 7th 2017, 11:26pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Btw - what exactly made people really hate Deep Blue as a brand?

While I may not be the best person to answer this (and if I'm not, someone who is will no doubt correct me), there are several factors. In the interest of brevity (You, Mort? Brevity? Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!), here it is, in no particular order, in bullet format:

(1) Stan Betesh -- the DB owner -- used to make middling-fine dive watches that were, for the most part, pretty good tool watches for those who liked to ply the undersea world around us; most were between 40mm and 45mm, tops;

(2) Stan began to sell these on ShopNBC, which later became 'evine live,' and a chorus of wartch-lovers (chief among them a known conman and small-time grifter who somehow wangled his way onto SNBC, Jim Skelton, AKA Corona Gorda, AKA Diamond Jim, AKA "Jaws" Skelton, AKA "Jumbloat") got after him to build bigger, more "stylish" watches (like Invicter, then-Android and Stuhrling Original were doing), and Stan did as they asked;

(3) Some were bad, some were awful, but all of them were a departure from his 'tool watch' past, thus giving him the reputation among collectors as a sellout. (The worst of these, IMHO, was a large -- 51mm, if I'm not mistaken -- gold-plated 'diver-like' watch with the ETA 7750 onboard. To this cub reporter, it really was a sellout-looking wartch);

(4) While this was going on, Stan's personal behavior became a bit bizarre; he took criticism of his watches very personally, wrote very nasty emails to those who complained about troubles with his watches or needed them repaired, and otherwise turned out to be a teensy, weensy bit 'disturbed;'

(5) Then the man starts up the "Air Blue" watch company (affectionately referred to as "Air Blew" by some), with the idea that he was going to make high-quality pilot's watches. Trouble is, he started this second 'company' by offering up the prototypes on third-party funding pages, like Go Fund Me, etc., and that was seen as, at best, rather odd; at worst, well, the only way to say it is to use the word 'bizarre' and be done with it. Unfortunately, almost all of these AB wartches, well, to be kind, sucked like an Electrolux;

(6) He continues to make watches under both monikers (that's "names," for those of you in Rio Lindo & Herndon, VA), and the quality of the DB watches has improved, though he still makes the occasional WTFWYT (What the FUCK Were You Thinking) watch, but there are still some good values to be had, like Foggy's new acquisition above.

And that's pretty much it. I personally have three DB's, and I like them just fine, though one -- with a very nice Miyota movement -- is a bit heavy for me, and I might be offering it up over at feeBay for a couple hunnert bones in the near future...
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 7th 2017, 11:56pm

Mortuus wrote:

While I may not be the best person to answer this (and if I'm not, someone who is will no doubt correct me), there are several factors. In the interest of brevity (You, Mort? Brevity? Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!), here it is, in no particular order, in bullet format:

(1) Stan Betesh -- the DB owner -- used to make middling-fine dive watches that were, for the most part, pretty good tool watches for those who liked to ply the undersea world around us; most were between 40mm and 45mm, tops;

(2) Stan began to sell these on ShopNBC, which later became 'evine live,' and a chorus of wartch-lovers (chief among them a known conman and small-time grifter who somehow wangled his way onto SNBC, Jim Skelton, AKA Corona Gorda, AKA Diamond Jim, AKA "Jaws" Skelton, AKA "Jumbloat") got after him to build bigger, more "stylish" watches (like Invicter, then-Android and Stuhrling Original were doing), and Stan did as they asked;

(3) Some were bad, some were awful, but all of them were a departure from his 'tool watch' past, thus giving him the reputation among collectors as a sellout. (The worst of these, IMHO, was a large -- 51mm, if I'm not mistaken -- gold-plated 'diver-like' watch with the ETA 7750 onboard. To this cub reporter, it really was a sellout-looking wartch);

(4) While this was going on, Stan's personal behavior became a bit bizarre; he took criticism of his watches very personally, wrote very nasty emails to those who complained about troubles with his watches or needed them repaired, and otherwise turned out to be a teensy, weensy bit 'disturbed;'

(5) Then the man starts up the "Air Blue" watch company (affectionately referred to as "Air Blew" by some), with the idea that he was going to make high-quality pilot's watches. Trouble is, he started this second 'company' by offering up the prototypes on third-party funding pages, like Go Fund Me, etc., and that was seen as, at best, rather odd; at worst, well, the only way to say it is to use the word 'bizarre' and be done with it. Unfortunately, almost all of these AB wartches, well, to be kind, sucked like an Electrolux;

(6) He continues to make watches under both monikers (that's "names," for those of you in Rio Lindo & Herndon, VA), and the quality of the DB watches has improved, though he still makes the occasional WTFWYT (What the FUCK Were You Thinking) watch, but there are still some good values to be had, like Foggy's new acquisition above.

And that's pretty much it. I personally have three DB's, and I like them just fine, though one -- with a very nice Miyota movement -- is a bit heavy for me, and I might be offering it up over at feeBay for a couple hunnert bones in the near future...

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Mort.

So it looks like, DB is more like a one-man operation, where this dude would actually write nasty letters to small-time customers? Interesting to me since I've never seen a watch company working that way. (except for a German company where one woman assembles all their watches - the name escapes me, and she does not have the bad reputation DB may have).

Speaking about the 7750, after a friendly chat with a few employees in my local Tissot AD, i learned about ETA's C01 movement which is to be a more affordable chrono than 7750 and they are put into the slightly cheaper Tissot automatic chronos. Not sure if Swatch sells that movement to third parties. If so, it's well within plausible scenario it could end up in an Invicter in the future
PiningforElgin

Next

Return to Your New Watch