Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby eddiea » May 14th 2017, 6:19pm

artman wrote:Thanks guys. I've been reading everything I can about this watch but I can't seem to find the right bezel on eBay. I have a feeling I'm just going to have to suck it up and turn it in to the local AD and see what they can do. It really is a handsome watch and is in great condition. Heck it even still has the original sticker on the back! Cheers!

Considering the personal value? the Omega AD or Boutique is the way to go...I'll not even consider anything else, service prices maybe higher but. worth every penny
BTW I know couple highly regarded independents , ABC Watchwerks in California is one but, prices can be close to Omega service , sometimes there is no way around it ..at the end of the day, you get what you pay for...
“I ain't tellin' no lie, mine's a tale that can't be told....."

Image
User avatar
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 10363
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Nikki Beach, Miami (GMT -5)

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby conjurer » May 14th 2017, 6:33pm

eddiea wrote:
artman wrote:Thanks guys. I've been reading everything I can about this watch but I can't seem to find the right bezel on eBay. I have a feeling I'm just going to have to suck it up and turn it in to the local AD and see what they can do. It really is a handsome watch and is in great condition. Heck it even still has the original sticker on the back! Cheers!

Considering the personal value? the Omega AD or Boutique is the way to go...I'll not even consider anything else, service prices maybe higher but. worth every penny
BTW I know couple highly regarded independents , ABC Watchwerks in California is one but, prices can be close to Omega service , sometimes there is no way around it ..at the end of the day, you get what you pay for...


Yup, what eddie said.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 23147
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby gerdson » May 14th 2017, 10:18pm

eddiea wrote:
gerdson wrote:You are right (of course). Sorry about the misinformation.
I don't believe that will make it much more difficult to find an Inlay.
However I have heard horrible things about servicing that chrono module. My watchmaker dared to do one once. He is very good. He said there are a lot of tension springs that like to jump everywhere and don't like to stay where they should. It took him quite some time.
Rumours go that when sending these in for service the whole module is replaced in one.


The Omega 1140 is an ETA 2892 with a piggybacking Dubois-Dépraz 2020 module riding along, the DD is very repairable (with the right tools/knowledge) and an excellent module...
At the time, Omega opted for replacing the module rather than repaired them on watches fitted with the 1140 , most likely because was faster and cost effective, due to the DD module excellent warranty ..(not a rumor)


The point is, as You write, that without the proper tools it is a mess. The knowledge part can partly be compensated by experience, but I guess (unlike for Valjoux 775x) no service documents can be downloaded anywhere. I did indeed also read that the module rarely gives issues. Btw. experts on a German forum also stated that the base caliber 2892 is modified in places and sometimes a standard barrel and mainspring will not work properly.

Looking up the reference, this watch must have been built between 1988 and 1991 - and if it has never been serviced since, going to Omega is really the best idea.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer


Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
User avatar
gerdson
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: January 7th 2013, 11:00pm
Location: Just north of Northern Krautland

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby artman » May 17th 2017, 11:37pm

Quick update on my latest predicament. I made contact with Omega's customer service but after 1 email, I think they've already forgotten about me. Strike 1! I went to the local AD but the lady said that they were an Authorized Reseller and not an Authorized Dealer, so they could not (or would not) help me. Strike 2! Bob at ofrei.com said that they did not have the bezel that I was looking for and explained that since 2015 Swatch has stopped supplying vendors with parts because they want to control everything from the cradle to the grave. Strike 3! Dayam. You know, if this was a Seiko I would be done with this project. Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1247
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby gerdson » May 18th 2017, 12:48am

I think You need to go for an aftermarket inlay then. These are rather inexpensive and You can always have it switched to an original one at a later stage, when You decide to turn it in for a full service.

E.g
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bezel-insert-fo ... 2149337097
https://watchparts24.de/Bezel-insert-fo ... ic-reduced
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-FO ... 0872841255
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer


Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
User avatar
gerdson
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: January 7th 2013, 11:00pm
Location: Just north of Northern Krautland

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby 3Flushes » May 18th 2017, 2:47pm

I hate to be an I told you so... ah, who the fuck am I kidding... told ya so.

Art I still think your best shot to get a good cosmetic effect if not a factory parts solution is to find an old-timer watchmaker with parts coming out of his ass. My former watchmaker (now retired) accumulated an incredible stock of parts for everything you could possibly imagine over the course of his career. When he retired, he sold the entire inventory for $800,000 + and a master can make or modify anything they can't shake loose from SWATCH.

Contrary to many members, I am a big believer in independent shops. If they don't have the Omega part, they could do a good job popping on an aftermarket product.

Watchmakers with Omega accounts, or with any other SWATCH brand- or with most brands for that matter- are a thing of the past. As the movement is ETA based, most of the parts are readily available, and if you find an old-timer, they will have the old Omega schematics such that they could easily, even if not cheaply, make anything needed if they don't have it.

My watchmaker once made me a set of teeny-weeny screws that rusted and were no longer available for the bridges of an old three finger movement in a Jules Jugensen (c-1950's) I found at a swap meet, and also made a pallet fork.

I suspect that if you just sent the watch to Omega, or you could find a SWATCH authorized shop in your neck of the woods (I frankly know very little about your neck of the woods), they'd take care of it for you. A SWATCH shop will be little if any less expensive because they are required to have extremely expensive, proprietary diagnostic and regulating equipment, and tools. All of the staff must have the highest levels of certification as well.

However, any master watchmaker can clean, lube and regulate the watch, deal with crystals, seals and all of that type of thing. If they don't have the factory bezel, they will be able to fit an aftermarket part if you or they can find one. The A-M bezel won't effect the water resistance as long as the seals are taken care of, and they look good.

An independent will also do a limited restoration at your direction which the factory shops will not do, justified by providing a warranty... if we don't do this, it could lead to that, blah blah blah and they go hog wild. At best, you might be able to keep them from polishing the shit out of it.

One last note. I just saw the 18K designation on the sticker. If the case is solid 18K,the price of a gold bezel will be out of sight, and if it is solid metal or even gold filled, the bezel may not attach to the watch the same way as it would fit a steel case; it may not have the same clearance for the crystal either. If the case is gold, or gold filled, make sure you specify that when inquiring about the part. You could always ask an independent, I can't say, but perhaps they could satisfactorily attach a steel bezel to the case, that is, if there is actually a difference in the fitments, so to speak.

Given you've been skunked so far, give finding a good independent with an excellent reputation a shot, at least to try to find the part.
I can assure you that when a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." Dr. George Daniels
User avatar
3Flushes
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 5103
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby artman » May 18th 2017, 3:32pm

I ordered one of the aftermarket inlays from eBay so hopefully that might work out alright. The numbers aren't gold so we'll just wait and see if the color bugs me or not. I checked with the old time watch repair guys here and they don't have the part, but I am going to Japan next week so I'll check out the watch shops over there.
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1247
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby eddiea » May 18th 2017, 3:46pm

artman wrote:Quick update on my latest predicament. I made contact with Omega's customer service but after 1 email, I think they've already forgotten about me. Strike 1! I went to the local AD but the lady said that they were an Authorized Reseller and not an Authorized Dealer, so they could not (or would not) help me. Strike 2! Bob at ofrei.com said that they did not have the bezel that I was looking for and explained that since 2015 Swatch has stopped supplying vendors with parts because they want to control everything from the cradle to the grave. Strike 3! Dayam. You know, if this was a Seiko I would be done with this project. Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.


This is what I think....
No, is not a Seiko and no this is not your every day "project", this is a heirloom, a special meaning watch , you seem to give up too easy...So these are my "other ideas"

1- Your local joint non an AD? so Google one near you for God sake...
2-Ofrei don't carry Omega parts because Swatch no longer supply independent vendors? well no surprises there, that's old news
3-Don't rely on e-mails , take it/shipped to an AD and while you at it have the watch fully service (it comes whit a new watch warranty) , eat the bullet and you'll be thanking me for years to come...
4-No funding to do it as yet? put away for a while, save and do it right
Last edited by eddiea on May 18th 2017, 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I ain't tellin' no lie, mine's a tale that can't be told....."

Image
User avatar
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 10363
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Nikki Beach, Miami (GMT -5)

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby koimaster » May 18th 2017, 3:47pm

Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 30966
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby conjurer » May 18th 2017, 3:59pm

eddiea wrote:
artman wrote:Quick update on my latest predicament. I made contact with Omega's customer service but after 1 email, I think they've already forgotten about me. Strike 1! I went to the local AD but the lady said that they were an Authorized Reseller and not an Authorized Dealer, so they could not (or would not) help me. Strike 2! Bob at ofrei.com said that they did not have the bezel that I was looking for and explained that since 2015 Swatch has stopped supplying vendors with parts because they want to control everything from the cradle to the grave. Strike 3! Dayam. You know, if this was a Seiko I would be done with this project. Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.


This is what I think....
No, is not a Seiko and no this is not your every day "project", this is a heirloom, a special meaning watch , you seem to give up too easy...So these are my "other ideas"

1- Your local joint non an AD? so Google one near you for God sake...
2-Ofrei don't carry Omega parts because Swatch no longer supply independent vendors? well no surprises there, that's old news
3-Don't rely on e-mails , take it/shipped to an AD and while you at it have the watch fully service (it comes whit a new watch warranty) , eat the bullet and you'll be thanking me for years to come...
4-No funding to do it as yet? put away for a while, save and do it right


I agree with eddie on this, but what the hell, it's your watch. If you took it into an AD, they'd be more than happy to do the repair--and take plenty of your cash, to be sure.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 23147
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby artman » May 18th 2017, 7:07pm

conjurer wrote:
eddiea wrote:
artman wrote:Quick update on my latest predicament. I made contact with Omega's customer service but after 1 email, I think they've already forgotten about me. Strike 1! I went to the local AD but the lady said that they were an Authorized Reseller and not an Authorized Dealer, so they could not (or would not) help me. Strike 2! Bob at ofrei.com said that they did not have the bezel that I was looking for and explained that since 2015 Swatch has stopped supplying vendors with parts because they want to control everything from the cradle to the grave. Strike 3! Dayam. You know, if this was a Seiko I would be done with this project. Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.


This is what I think....
No, is not a Seiko and no this is not your every day "project", this is a heirloom, a special meaning watch , you seem to give up too easy...So these are my "other ideas"

1- Your local joint non an AD? so Google one near you for God sake...
2-Ofrei don't carry Omega parts because Swatch no longer supply independent vendors? well no surprises there, that's old news
3-Don't rely on e-mails , take it/shipped to an AD and while you at it have the watch fully service (it comes whit a new watch warranty) , eat the bullet and you'll be thanking me for years to come...
4-No funding to do it as yet? put away for a while, save and do it right


I agree with eddie on this, but what the hell, it's your watch. If you took it into an AD, they'd be more than happy to do the repair--and take plenty of your cash, to be sure.


Good advice guys. Thanks. How long does a full service job take if you don't have to send it off? I'll try to check out the real AD in Tokyo next week. Maybe they can do it while I'm there.
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1247
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby conjurer » May 18th 2017, 7:11pm

Omega USA took about six weeks to do mine, arty. But then, they're over there in fucking Secaucus.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 23147
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 18th 2017, 7:58pm

Well, the watch is a two-tone ref. DA 175.0032, so according to the Omega Vintage Database the correct bezel insert is solid gold, and the only one I've seen on eBay was priced at something like $900.
https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15175/
If Omega charges that much as well, and they likely do even more than that, you might end with a quite a bloody lot of money to pay. Could well be only slightly south of two grand.

Also, I don't know if Omega will only be willing to sell you the bezel alone. In the WUS Omega forum, there was one bloke, who landed up with a redial, and naturally, didn't want it to leave it this way. So he went to an Omega service centre, and asked them if they had a replacement dial for his watch. They said that they did, but since they haven't serviced the watch, they won't replace it, and they won't just sell him the part. They didn't give a fuck about the watch having been independently serviced something like two years earlier.

That said, Omega in Tokyo will more than likely try to fleece you for a service. Let's hope they don't, after all, they don't need to take the watch apart to attach a new bezel insert- but hell knows, their parts availability and servicing policies are aimed at making it convenient (financially) for them, not for the owner of the watch.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 527
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby bobbee » May 18th 2017, 8:23pm

Are you sure the insert is solid gold?
I know the bezel is, but surely the bezel insert would be steel or alloy?
Not positive about this though.
bobbee
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 546
Joined: November 30th 2016, 1:01am

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 19th 2017, 4:28am

Dang. You're right, Bob... My bad. The listing was for the entire bezel. Here's my new resolution: don't write while undercaffeinated. ST 175.0032 insert is likely steel or some lighter alloy indeed, but I don't know how is it with the insert for the DA 175.032. As a part that gets worn over time, it would make no sense for it to be gold.

They still might want to fleece him for a service, though.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 527
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby eddiea » May 19th 2017, 6:25am

conjurer wrote:Omega USA took about six weeks to do mine, arty. But then, they're over there in fucking Secaucus.


I have an excellent Swatch Service Center here in Miami on Blue Lagoon Drive....
As far as a bezel insert goes, I could be wrong but, think that the TT Reduced can be have with a solid gold bezel and no insert.....just like mine below (no longer in my collection)...so check your reference number with Omega
Image
“I ain't tellin' no lie, mine's a tale that can't be told....."

Image
User avatar
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 10363
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Nikki Beach, Miami (GMT -5)

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby artman » May 19th 2017, 6:59am

I love the day and month windows on that!
User avatar
artman
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1247
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 19th 2017, 7:39am

eddiea wrote:As far as a bezel insert goes, I could be wrong but, think that the TT Reduced can be have with a solid gold bezel and no insert.....just like mine below (no longer in my collection)...so check your reference number with Omega

You're correct, Eddie- the Reduced had a version with a full gold bezel, like the one here:
Image
Pic stolen from the Internets

Some variants of the steel version also came with a full steel bezel:
Image
Pic stolen from the Internets

As to Artman's Speedy, I'm not sure if there is a difference between the reference number of that watch and the version with the full gold bezel without an insert. Technically, both are most likely a ref. DA 175.0032, with the material code DA indicating "stainless steel with solid gold bezel."

Spare for the bracelet, I think that's how it would have originally looked- black insert with a gilt tachymetre scale:
Image
Pic stolen from the Internets
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 527
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Previous

Return to Your New Watch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests