Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby artman » May 13th 2017, 11:47pm

Visited my mom today for Mothers Day and went home with dad's Omega Speedmaster 1140. Can you guys tell me where to find a replacement bezel?

artman
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Omega Speedmaster missing bezel

Postby Racer-X » May 13th 2017, 11:53pm

Wow, Congrats Artie, man that's cool. Loving the color combo. Not much help on the bezel though, good luck.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » May 14th 2017, 12:09am

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » May 14th 2017, 1:46am

Congratulations on the watch. You can source a bezel from Omega. Ofrei also has many genuine Omega bezels. Or you can get a much cheaper aftermarket bezel from any number of Ebay sellers. You just need the model number to find who has them.

http://www.ofrei.com/page663.html
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 14th 2017, 6:17am

You can try the abouttime-ch eBay shop, they're what used to be Watchco. They still have a decent stash of Omega parts.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke

Postby codguy » May 14th 2017, 6:24am

:bvbvbv: :Thumbsup:

The truly nice thing about integrated strap/bracelet watches..... it prevents someone from fucking them up with a gay NATO strap.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » May 14th 2017, 6:40am

I hope you have better luck sourcing your bezel than I did trying to find a replacement crown for an Omega Seamaster from the 70s that I have. No luck at all from the usual suspects - but in your case, I think you'll find one just fine. Any idea how old that model is? Frankly, it looks pretty sharp even without the bezel!
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » May 14th 2017, 7:23am

Sweet watch. Even better that it was your father's.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » May 14th 2017, 8:18am

smellody wrote:Sweet watch. Even better that it was your father's.

Well said!

Honestly, unless you're top shelf at doing the restoring thing (I myself draw the line at doing nothing more than replacing batteries in Mrs. C's seemingly inexhaustable collection of inexpensive quartz watches), given the real monetary and personal value of the watch, I'd go big. Take it to your local Omega AD and have them do the work for you. Just make sure you're sitting down when they tell you the quote.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » May 14th 2017, 8:28am

I think it looks kinda cool with it.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Postby svaglic » May 14th 2017, 8:49am

That is so cool, your fathers watch. Good luck finding a bezel, it will be costly to do it right, but worth every penney in the end.
Last edited by svaglic on May 14th 2017, 2:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby Nuvolari » May 14th 2017, 9:17am

Hell yeah! What a BEAUTY! And you gotta love the provenance... Right on, mom - what a cool thing to do!
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » May 14th 2017, 9:47am

I think You are lucky. You are only missing the bezel inlay, which is much cheaper. Wonderful watch, Your father had good taste.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » May 14th 2017, 9:50am

I would't wonder if one from a regular handwound Speedy would fit. I can provide the exact measurement if You like. Got one here, from when mine was serviced.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

gerdson
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » May 14th 2017, 9:53am

artman wrote:Visited my mom today for Mothers Day and went home with dad's Omega Speedmaster 1140. Can you guys tell me where to find a replacement bezel?

Your local Omega AD or Boutique .....
“The idea is not to live forever, it is to create something that will.”
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Thunder1 » May 14th 2017, 10:04am

eddiea wrote:
artman wrote:Visited my mom today for Mothers Day and went home with dad's Omega Speedmaster 1140. Can you guys tell me where to find a replacement bezel?

Your local Omega AD or Boutique .....

Considering it once belonged to your Dad...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » May 14th 2017, 10:28am

That is a beautiful watch and what an heirloom. Considering the significance of it, I would go straight to an Omega AD for a fix. Don't want someone to fuxor it up.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » May 14th 2017, 11:29am

If it needs to be serviced, I would agree - and then they can also put on a replacement bezel insert.

However it seems it is the same size like on the manual wound Speedy Professional (but I am not certain).

Check these out for comparison:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-FOR-OMEGA-SPEEDMASTER-TACHYMETRE-175-0032-FLAT-/161406437061
(Aftermarket, You can find a lot of different ones on ebay)
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » May 14th 2017, 11:35am

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 14th 2017, 11:37am

gerdson wrote:If it needs to be serviced, I would agree - and then they can also put on a replacement bezel insert.

However it seems it is the same size like on the manual wound Speedy Professional (but I am not certain).

Check these out for comparison:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-FOR-OMEGA-SPEEDMASTER-TACHYMETRE-175-0032-FLAT-/161406437061
(Aftermarket, You can find a lot of different ones on ebay)

Artman's watch is a Speedy Reduced- these were 38mm in diameter. The bezel on the Pro and its derivatives (FOiS, Moonphase) is 39.7mm.

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke

Postby gerdson » May 14th 2017, 1:52pm

You are right (of course). Sorry about the misinformation.
I don't believe that will make it much more difficult to find an Inlay.
However I have heard horrible things about servicing that chrono module. My watchmaker dared to do one once. He is very good. He said there are a lot of tension springs that like to jump everywhere and don't like to stay where they should. It took him quite some time.
Rumours go that when sending these in for service the whole module is replaced in one.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » May 14th 2017, 2:12pm

gerdson wrote:You are right (of course). Sorry about the misinformation.
I don't believe that will make it much more difficult to find an Inlay.
However I have heard horrible things about servicing that chrono module. My watchmaker dared to do one once. He is very good. He said there are a lot of tension springs that like to jump everywhere and don't like to stay where they should. It took him quite some time.
Rumours go that when sending these in for service the whole module is replaced in one.

The Omega 1140 is an ETA 2892 with a piggybacking Dubois-Dépraz 2020 module riding along, the DD is very repairable (with the right tools/knowledge) and an excellent module...
At the time, Omega opted for replacing the module rather than repaired them on watches fitted with the 1140 , most likely because was faster and cost effective, due to the DD module excellent warranty ..(not a rumor)
“The idea is not to live forever, it is to create something that will.”
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » May 14th 2017, 3:36pm

Thanks guys. I've been reading everything I can about this watch but I can't seem to find the right bezel on eBay. I have a feeling I'm just going to have to suck it up and turn it in to the local AD and see what they can do. It really is a handsome watch and is in great condition. Heck it even still has the original sticker on the back! Cheers!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » May 14th 2017, 4:12pm

There's a couple of ways to go. As conj noted, Omega will charge you an arm and a leg, and maybe a section of the other leg. Part of the reason is they won't do only the work on the bezel. They will insist on doing all that's required, including replacing worn movement parts, they love to replace hands, and whatnot.

It will be impossible for you, or a non-Swatch certified shop to obtain a replacement directly from Omega - I tried thru a relative who works for them to get an insert for a member here once- nothin' doin.

Given the vintage, as you know, your dad's Speedy's movement is ETA based, likely 2892 and a module, parts that any journeyman watchmaker whose been at it for a number of years will have coming out of his wazoo,and likely a bezel, too.

An independent will give it what it needs to be sound, gaskets, a little oil here and there, a little adjustment and whatnot without insisting on restoring everything.

If you have the hands to do the work yourself, an old-school watchmaker is a good place to start looking for a bezel and any other parts you need. My guy had 10,000 little drawers full of that kind of stuff. Otherwise, the suggestion of O Frei is a good one. Those gaskets look dried up and shot, don't forget to grease up a couple'a new ones fore and aft while you're at the bezel.

What a cool piece of your dad's life to have to keep him with you, art.
I can assure you that when a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." Dr. George Daniels
3Flushes
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 14th 2017, 5:25pm

Regarding Omega service, that's true- they love to go on a parts-swapping frenzy. Not to mention their affinity for excessively polishing cases. Some people I know had Omega do absolutely stellar work on their watches and listen to their requests regarding what is and what is not to be done, but the others have ended up with overpolished cases looking like soap bars, seasoned with incorrect replacement hands.

Theoretically, some watchmakers do have an arrangement with Omega, a so-called "Omega parts account." One independent that I know has access to Omega parts, is Al Archer, who posts in the WUS Omega forum. While that place is mostly occupied by people masturbating to the Holy Planet Ocean (no offense to the Planet Ocean or its owners, but the Omega forum on WUS is a madhouse), some folks there do try sourcing parts by themselves- so maybe at least someone knows another watchmaker with access to Omega parts.

As to parts for the movement, it's not that simple. The base for the entire thing is the 2892, but as far as I know, Omega did modify some parts in their 2892-based movements, the 1120 and the 1140. In other words, some parts- like the mainspring- are interchangeable with a basic 2892, and some aren't.

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke

Next

Return to Your New Watch