Crime of the century

Crime of the century

Postby gerdson » April 25th 2017, 11:00am

The Gerdson is ready to strike again. One of the first wartches I bought was this, uhm, Rolex-tribute:

The movement is a fantastic running, red golden plated ETA 2834. But I always hated that ghey looking dial with the fake (?) diamonds, although I am a goddam liberal, verdammt, and should love and respect it just because of that. For years now I have tried to find a decent replacement dial for a 2834 - but for some reason without luck.

Until just now, when digging out this one on ebay:

8-)

Since Tudor is nothing but another Rolex Fake, even running with the very same movement (and since I am never going to sell it this way, and the case back is still marked "Tissot", and because everyone not agreeing to me can suck my smegma dripping dick send a letter of remonstration to the United Nations board of complaints, I will use it to pimp this otherwise nice little watch. But first it has to be shipped from Puerto Rico, verdammt.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Re: Crime of the century

Postby Racer-X » April 25th 2017, 11:09am

An improvement as I don't care for fake diamonds either.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 25th 2017, 11:25am

As long as you don't put one of those silly hour hands on it everything will be okay.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » April 25th 2017, 12:49pm

That will be a nice fake, I don't give a fuck how you feel about it and fakes are a no go here in the forum, so as long as you don't post that shit here, I don't really care
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby codguy » April 25th 2017, 1:26pm

I concur Eddie.

-----> It's not like a generic dial in the right configuration isn't available FFS (and btw, you can suck your own dick Gerd).

I find this akin to slapping a AMG emblem to a basement level C-class Mercedes or better yet a Cobra emblem on a run of the mill Ford mustang. Had a previous employee do just that, for which I named it a Fobra (fake Cobra). Same scenario for this Fudor if it is pushed into being.

Am sure many bunnies here will look the other way..............................
if they haven't already.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby NorthCountry » April 25th 2017, 1:50pm

So, is any modification from the original watch after the sale, by the owner, a fake? Asking for a friend. This seems way subjective in my view. I'd like to hear more about this.

I've always considered a fake, to be something being passed off as real when it is not. Gerdson is making a modification to his personal watch, for personal enjoyment. I don't believe he is trying to dupe anyone, just modifying for his pleasure. Its not like he is try to sell it. For me the distinction is one is for profit the other could be bad form perhaps.
Last edited by NorthCountry on April 25th 2017, 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » April 25th 2017, 2:07pm

NorthCountry wrote:So, is any modification from the original watch after the sale, by the owner, a fake? Asking for a friend? This seems way subjective in my view. I'd like to hear more about this.

I've always considered a fake, to be something being passed off as real when it is not. Gerdson is making a modification to his personal watch, for personal enjoyment. I don't believe he is trying to dupe anyone, just modifying for his pleasure. Its not like he is try to sell it. For me the distinction is one is for profit the other could be bad form perhaps.

I concur..The Gerdson is just modifying a watch for his own use..he has no intention to sell it..intent is the true test in this case..in this instance, it is a 'frankenwatch', not a 'fake'... :roll:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » April 25th 2017, 2:26pm

With due deference to my horological elders I'm not sure this meets the criteria of what is generally thought of as a fake. Anybody that knows a Tudor from a Tissot will immediately recognize the non-Tudor hands. The Tissot case back will stand out as well. Typically there's intent to pass something off as genuine and / or defraud a buyer neither of which would apply in this case. A non-WIS wouldn't know it's not a Tudor but neither would he know what a Tudor is.

It kind of reminds me of Turnbull restorations getting their hands on a ragged out 1873 Colt SAA or my L.C. Smith that goes in as a 75.00 beater and comes out a year and 7,000.00 later as an ideal grade in as new condition. Either one in new condition is pretty obviously a restoration and just to protect those that might not have a single skeptic bone in their body Turnbull marks the things (on the water table in the case of the shotgun) as a Turnbull restoration. I have never heard of a Turnbull being misrepresented even to a green-as-grass SAA Colt collector - he'll probably find himself one of those Numrich 3" barrel Pythons instead.

The watch is going to have enough discordant elements it'll be less like a Benz with an AMG sticker and be perhaps more like a VW Beetle with a Rolls Royce grille. Ain't going to be kidding anybody. And those diamond-sort-of-things will be gone which is a service to the community.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » April 25th 2017, 2:35pm

A Tissot with a Tudor branded dial is a fake, regardless of intent or crudeness of the attempt....
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea

Postby Hawk » April 25th 2017, 3:58pm

You may well be right. I just don't find myself with a clear, firm opinion on the matter.

Though my comparison in the automobile world did turn up this which offered me a chuckle. And to be honest strikes me as closer to the topic at hand than an AMG sticker on Benz.

To get fully behind the idea of a Tudor dial defining the object as a fake I suppose I would have to suggest that the above is a Rolls Royce fake although I suspect many people would see it as something other than a fake - perhaps more along the lines of a customized bug.

But whatever my misgivings are they are insufficient for me to argue the point. It's one of those cases where I have sufficient doubts regarding my own assessment that I'll be happy as an observer and right now the opinions do seem to be inconsistent though some are more strongly held than others.

Mine is weakly held but consistent with my assessments of firearms and kit cars.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » April 25th 2017, 4:09pm

Thunder1 wrote:
NorthCountry wrote:So, is any modification from the original watch after the sale, by the owner, a fake? Asking for a friend? This seems way subjective in my view. I'd like to hear more about this.

I concur..The Gerdson is just modifying a watch for his own use..he has no intention to sell it..intent is the true test in this case..in this instance, it is a 'frankenwatch', not a 'fake'... :roll:

Yup.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 25th 2017, 6:56pm

I personally like the diamond dial.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 25th 2017, 8:23pm

conjurer wrote:I personally like the diamond dial.

I like the Volksroyce.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » April 25th 2017, 9:30pm

Thanks for the comments. It does clearly qualify as a fake, I am not even sure I would wear it in this way. The biggest issue with the watch is that it started it's life as a "replica" in first place. I would never buy such a thing anymore. In fact I don't even want to sell it because of that fact.
Interestingly enough, while I have not been spending hours and hours every day, I have been checking pretty regularly in the past couple of years, trying to find a more decent "neutral" dial, or from a lesser "no name" brand, there is nothing on the market for this specific ETA movement - despite the fact that it is pretty common. Apart from other "fake diamond" issues - in the 80ies there were a lot of brands producing these look-a-likes.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » April 25th 2017, 9:33pm

Of course I will now have to do it and also post it here on occasions just to piss off cod and eddiea :mrgreen:
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 25th 2017, 9:45pm

While I don't personally think that Herr Gerdy's mod would be considered a "fake", eddie and cod certainly bring up valid points, and make it clear that this Thing of Ours isn't black or white, but many shades of gray. Most normal (non-WIS) people reading this thread would think, "wow! He's able to change the dial of a watch! He must be pretty talented, even for a German!" Most of the same people know that it's pretty goddamned easy to find goofs selling quartz Rolex knockoffs on the street of any big city, and probably also know that this is wrong, on some level.

Not to sound too Hawk-like (because I'm pretty much a dumb bastard, and Hawk's a pretty smart bastard indeed), I don't think a line was crossed, but at the same time, I can see the other side of the argument.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » April 25th 2017, 10:21pm

Is it possible to remove the diamonds and mount other indices in their place?
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Wasp » April 26th 2017, 5:24am

Add a touch of personalized humor to the Tudor dial. :lol:
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » April 26th 2017, 6:28am

Wasp wrote:Add a touch of personalized humor to the Tudor dial. :lol:

There's always that.

Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » April 27th 2017, 10:02am

Yeah, I like that :-).

(Replacing the fuck diamonds is no option - it is simply not worth the effort. I could also just sell it as it is. In fact I even thought about transplanting the movement into a neutral diver case and use a dial w/o day window - but that is not so easy due to dimensions, e.g. distance of dial to stem hole - it might not fit).

I do agree that cod has a point, and it might have been a stupid idea (certainly to post it here, the rest is probably my business as long as I don't sell it), but what I do not respect is him calling other watchlords "bunnies". So, codguy: Fuck You for Your arrogant, self-righteous attitude. And try to keep Your comments heading in my direction, if You have something to say.
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby codguy » April 27th 2017, 12:10pm

gerdson wrote: And try to keep Your comments heading in my direction, if You have something to say.

Uhm, ok since you asked.
We have bunnies here as well as assholes, and sometime even members that try to moderate, etc. Kind of a melting pot of collectors.
I truly do not think you needed to defend any members here especially since no one was mentioned by name (but it the shoe fit someone..........), simply my two cents.
Being Watchlords, we all wear big boy pants here and swim in the deep end of the pool.
There you go.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » April 27th 2017, 3:23pm

gerdson wrote:Of course I will now have to do it and also post it here on occasions just to piss off cod and eddiea :mrgreen:

You are not going to hurt my feeling dude, both you and your fake are irrelevant to me, I'm concern about the forum ...one of the reasons I'm a fairly long time member here (as well as couple other forums) is the fact that they have zero tolerance for any kind of fakes, so I'll be watching with as much interest as you, if the stand of the forum continue to be the same ...

That been said and not that Cod need anyone to speak for him,
This forum over the years (as I stated a few times before), had (and still have) his share of bunnies ,posers , dilettantes and an assorted variety of idiots, sprinkled by the occasional troll ... like any other place in the web, we are not immune, those who feel alluded ? may have a reason...
On a side note, what's with the gratuitous cursing? starting to sound like one of those folks we get here from time to time that, are not allow to curse at home and come here to vent....take it easy.
eddiea

Return to Your New Watch