The sapphire blue SBDC047 Transocean is beyond expectations.

The sapphire blue SBDC047 Transocean is beyond expectations.

Postby SaoGage » February 1st 2017, 5:56pm

After wearing this thing non stop for two weeks, what started as a curiousity driven impulse buy is ending up as the best $1,000 watch I've ever owned. I am seriously impressed by this watch. One important thing to note is that no picture does this watch justice. You absolutely must see it in person to appreciate it.

And Seiko finally upgraded their standard clasp! What a difference it makes...

The ceramic bezel is the best part of the whole watch. The entire thing is a super nice block of ceramic that looks amazing in the sun.

For taking the risk of an integrated bracelet, Seiko really stepped up and designed a very good looking and comfortable bracelet. It goes perfectly with the case. It also seems to have some Samurai and Shogun DNA, albeit the angular lugs are much more pronounced and exaggerated.

Last edited by SaoGage on February 1st 2017, 6:26pm, edited 6 times in total.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The sapphire blue SBDC047 Transocean is beyond expectati

Postby conjurer » February 1st 2017, 6:00pm

That blue looks great, Mr. Gage!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » February 1st 2017, 6:03pm

That does look sweet. Congrats!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » February 1st 2017, 6:05pm

That is a stunner - so if you had to pick.....

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » February 1st 2017, 6:05pm

Near perfect I agree , aside from the borderline disturbing X on the dial and the lack of a goddamned basic AR coating ...we got a fucking winner!! (prefer black but, is the same shit at the end of the day) like the blue too
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby SaoGage » February 1st 2017, 6:40pm

Racer-X wrote:That is a stunner - so if you had to pick.....

Dude, a GS is a GS. If I could only have one, I don't think I could give up my SBGA029.

With that said, the Transocean is a hell of a lot of watch for the money in my opinion. People on WUS are calling this overpriced, and I can't help but scratch my head. Cool when the 2824 is used in a $300 watch as well as a $1,000 watch, but uncool when Seiko does the same thing.

Seriously, the fit, finish, and overall presentation of this watch is spectacular.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » February 1st 2017, 7:01pm

eddiea wrote:Near perfect I agree , aside from the borderline disturbing X on the dial and the lack of a goddamned basic AR coating ...we got a fucking winner!! (prefer black but, is the same shit at the end of the day) like the blue too

The X truly doesn't bother me, but I totally get why it annoys people. Agreed on the AR coating.

It was a tough decision between blue and black, but the blue is just such a gorgeous, radiant sapphire blue that I couldn't pass it up. I own nothing like it (very different in color from the PADI Turtle). Also gives the watch another X factor (pun not intended) considering I own predominantly dive watches.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » February 1st 2017, 7:27pm

Great watch, too big for me. The blue is very similar to that on my SBGA127 though the dial on mine looks black in low lighting. Also note the matte non-zaratsu hands with this blue colorway.

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » February 1st 2017, 8:05pm

Damn!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » February 1st 2017, 11:01pm

Dibs!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » February 1st 2017, 11:26pm

Its tragic that this watch won't take a strap :-(
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » February 2nd 2017, 2:37am

Beauty sao, that bezel is marvellous!
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Datsun240Z71 » February 2nd 2017, 5:08am

Super nice! Good for you!
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » February 2nd 2017, 5:10am

She's a looker. Love the blue!

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Britboy » February 2nd 2017, 11:34am

That's the dogs bollocks, that is.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SaoGage » February 2nd 2017, 4:32pm

bedlam wrote:Its tragic that this watch won't take a strap :-(

The way I look at it is like this: Literally every other watch I own I can swap straps on. I can deal with one dive watch built to wear on its (fortunately great) bracelet.

With that said, is it an understandable turnoff for many? Yes, no doubt.

On another note, I originally heard the blue dial was to be more limited in production. I'm wondering if down the road it becomes more sought after like how both the Samurai and Spork were originally unpopular until years later? I can see the Transocean slowly and steadily becoming more and more popular and accepted as more and more people take a chance and discover what a damn fine watch it is.

I'm seriously considering picking up the white Zero Haliburton (what a fucking name) LE model.
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » February 4th 2017, 1:45am

"[quote="SaoGage.With that said, the Transocean is a hell of a lot of watch for the money in my opinion. People on WUS are calling this overpriced, and I can't help but scratch my head. Cool when the 2824 is used in a $300 watch as well as a $1,000 watch, but uncool when Seiko does the same thing.Seriously, the fit, finish, and overall presentation of this watch is spectacular.[/quote]"

I agree! is an excellent value for the money, actually I can think of many watches costing more and yet not been at the level of craftsmanship of the Transocean...
As far as what some at WUS may think? You have been there long enough that I'm assuming know how to weed out the dilettantes , followers with nothing on their own to add in a thread, income challenged folks hating just because and just plain clueless dudes, it happen everywhere , in every fora there is ;)
eddiea

Postby SaoGage » February 4th 2017, 10:38am

eddiea wrote:"[quote="SaoGage.With that said, the Transocean is a hell of a lot of watch for the money in my opinion. People on WUS are calling this overpriced, and I can't help but scratch my head. Cool when the 2824 is used in a $300 watch as well as a $1,000 watch, but uncool when Seiko does the same thing.Seriously, the fit, finish, and overall presentation of this watch is spectacular.
"

I agree! is an excellent value for the money, actually I can think of many watches costing more and yet not been at the level of craftsmanship of the Transocean...
As far as what some at WUS may think? You have been there long enough that I'm assuming know how to weed out the dilettantes , followers with nothing on their own to add in a thread, income challenged folks hating just because and just plain clueless dudes, it happen everywhere , in every fora there is ;)
[/quote]

Oh I agree, and yes I've been on WUS for quite a while but generally the Seiko Citizen subforum is one of the better ones on there with more knowledgeable and enlightened individuals. Even several people I "know" and have come to respect have been calling this a flop, you know?

I'm not saying anyone has to like this watch. This hobby is about 95% subjective anyway, by all means absolutely and utterly dislike it. But something about the assertion that this watch is actually overpriced really sets me off because I view it as racial stigma. You know, "Far East" watches being inherently inferior to Swiss made, which at this price range are ironically made in Asia. :scratch:
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » February 4th 2017, 11:12am

The Transocean is priced right , is clear that Seiko took their time with this one , even the excellent adjustment of the movement was considered, something I wish they'll do with the more expensive MM 300 as well,
In general when it comes to "opinions"? I subscribe to the Eastwood school of thought and always take WUS with a grain of salt ,
below are my comments in one of the WUS threads on the subject....
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko- ... #poststopi]
Last edited by eddiea on February 4th 2017, 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea

Postby robatsu » February 4th 2017, 11:25am

SaoGage wrote:Oh I agree, and yes I've been on WUS for quite a while but generally the Seiko Citizen subforum is one of the better ones on there with more knowledgeable and enlightened individuals. Even several people I "know" and have come to respect have been calling this a flop, you know?

I am not sure what to think of this one. IMO, it is very Japanese, the sort of angular geometry it shares with Shogun, Samurai. There definitely is a monster-ish vibe to it as well. Seems like Seiko was trying to draw from its heritage, Monster/Shogun/Samurai, in this one, bring some of those styling cues in a more upmarket model.

FWIW, people will always criticize something because it isn't like the others.

Is an integrated bracelet an inviolable taboo? For some watches I own, the chances of me wearing it off the original bracelet are 0%, so it may as well be integrated.

I'd also note that this is a JDM watch, so it was designed for the sensibilities of that market.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby robatsu » February 4th 2017, 2:27pm

SaoGage wrote:I'm wondering if down the road it becomes more sought after like how both the Samurai and Spork were originally unpopular until years later?

The Shogun was also very slow starting in gaining a following outside Japan. A lot of people considered it a fail for many of the same reasons as the Transocean. The same value comparisons to Sumo, etc, too much dough for a 6R15, etc.

I remember getting mine fairly early and wondering why no love for the Shogun on WUS, etc, but it eventually caught on there and is now a classic in those warrens.

Probably the same will happen here, especially when a few cool strap/bracelet aftermarket options become available. Most people just like to know they have the option.

IMO, they went with a relatively conservative dial (and bezel font) to firmly anchor the piece and allow them going a little extreme on the case/bracelet.
robatsu
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » February 4th 2017, 8:11pm

Gage that's the hottest "blue" since LeAnn Rimes.

So nice.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SaoGage » February 5th 2017, 9:02am

TemerityB wrote:Gage that's the hottest "blue" since LeAnn Rimes.

So nice.

Thank you dude, yeah I think the dial is what sets it over the edge for me. The sapphire color is really something...
SaoGage
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Your New Watch