Akribos Skeleton

Akribos Skeleton

Postby SynMike » January 8th 2017, 7:02pm

I thought this would be satisfying for a low price. I was wrong. It was an open-box (previous customer return) for only $60. I didn't know anything of Akribos, I figured I couldn't go too far wrong on a 6497 movement. I've previously bought 4 watches with Chinese 6497 or 6498 movements, <$100 each, one of them a skeleton, all no problems. The build of case of this Akribos seems okay, bracelet marginal. This watch should have been fine. It's not difficult to put together a watch with this movement. But this one is completely disappointing.

1. The movement feels like it has sand in it when you wind it. I've never felt such grinding in a watch.
Yuck. I wonder if Akribos buys the factory 2nds.
2. Cheapo, shiny, ugly fake gears attached to the front of the movement.
3. The hands seem to be heated to color the metal, but uneven. Ugly. Is this what they intended?

It should have been good. There are plenty of no-name 6497/6498 watches on ebay that are built well. How does Akribos get it so wrong? It is back in the box and ready to return to Amazon. I will drop it off at the post office tomorrow. At least amazon returns are easy and no charge.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Akribos Skeleton

Postby artman » January 8th 2017, 7:26pm

Ya live and learn. Good review of a not so good watch. Glad you can get your money back.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » January 8th 2017, 7:29pm

Good to hear you can your dineros back...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 8th 2017, 8:01pm

Mike, remember the earlier post where I warned you about Stuhrling/Akribos. Didn't I? Didn't I?

I really enjoy your collection of inexpensive pieces, but don't ever do that again. I know we/I bust on Invicta first and foremost in these parts, but the Stuhrling brands almost make Invicta look like Patek - the freaking things fall apart in the watch boxes even if you don't wear them - and I'm not exaggerating.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » January 8th 2017, 8:14pm

TemerityB wrote:Mike, remember the earlier post where I warned you about Stuhrling/Akribos. Didn't I? Didn't I?

I really enjoy your collection of inexpensive pieces, but don't ever do that again. I know we/I bust on Invicta first and foremost in these parts, but the Stuhrling brands almost make Invicta look like Patek - the freaking things fall apart in the watch boxes even if you don't wear them - and I'm not exaggerating.

Definitely, I remember. Your advice came after the purchase was already made. You were absolutely right. I am really surprised that Akribos could actually screw a watch one so badly that is not difficult to get right. But I was not worried at the price. Now goes back to Amazon, no harm done.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » January 8th 2017, 8:35pm

I'm glad you can get your money back and that you verified the quality of Akribos. Some people have ego's that would not allow them to post the truth about a watch they bought. That's one of the reasons I love this forum, we are honest about the good and bad.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 9th 2017, 12:30am

A fine review, Mike. On the upside, plenty of people who google "Akribos" will see this, and perhaps put this miserable fucking company into the death spiral it deserves.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby itfc1959 » May 7th 2017, 2:49pm

SynMike wrote:I thought this would be satisfying for a low price. I was wrong. It was an open-box (previous customer return) for only $60. I didn't know anything of Akribos, I figured I couldn't go too far wrong on a 6497 movement. I've previously bought 4 watches with Chinese 6497 or 6498 movements, <$100 each, one of them a skeleton, all no problems. The build of case of this Akribos seems okay, bracelet marginal. This watch should have been fine. It's not difficult to put together a watch with this movement. But this one is completely disappointing.

1. The movement feels like it has sand in it when you wind it. I've never felt such grinding in a watch.
Yuck. I wonder if Akribos buys the factory 2nds.
2. Cheapo, shiny, ugly fake gears attached to the front of the movement.
3. The hands seem to be heated to color the metal, but uneven. Ugly. Is this what they intended?

It should have been good. There are plenty of no-name 6497/6498 watches on ebay that are built well. How does Akribos get it so wrong? It is back in the box and ready to return to Amazon. I will drop it off at the post office tomorrow. At least amazon returns are easy and no charge.

I know what you mean about the grinding stuff. In my earlier days I revealed that the wind on my Stuhrling was so shite that 'It sounded like an old man with crepitus having a wank'. Don't Sturhling make Akribos? Well, there you are, then. Case proved.
itfc1959
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » May 7th 2017, 7:37pm

I had actually had looked at this watch in the past and almost pulled the trigger glad I didn't.
I never liked Ingersoll watches than I bought one and was like wow of course I got one part of
their Sapphire Collection so I don't know the difference between the one I have and a regular Ingersoll?
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Return to Your New Watch