Postby SynMike » December 20th 2016, 5:54pm

This new arrival checks several boxes of factors that I like:
    Manual Wind
    No Date
    Seagull Movement
    Domed Dial & Crystal
    Very Affordable
Things I don't like:
    Gold. That limits how much I wear it. I wish there was a Stainless Steel version.
    Strap. The one pictured is the nicer one I swapped onto it immediately.

The manual wind version usually sells for about $65 , I found it for $55. It is easily worth that price. This is one of the better affordable Chinese watches that I have found. I don't know that it is a homage of anything but certainly echoes the style of 1950s. Diameter at 38mm makes it a bit more modern look than a true vintage, but still fairly reserved in size. I decided on this as an alternate to the Orient watches of this style that I have been considering. Lower price and manual wind sold me.

There is also a quartz version for $35 that looks very similar.

SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Compadre Manual Wind

Postby conjurer » December 20th 2016, 5:58pm

Great looking watch, for an absurdly low price. What can be bad?
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby artman » December 20th 2016, 6:01pm

Very nice watch. Awesome price! Nice find.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » December 20th 2016, 6:03pm

Clean, seems too nice for the price. Love the crystal.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » December 20th 2016, 6:25pm

conjurer wrote: What can be bad?

The ridiculous name? .... not bad for the price BTW
“The idea is not to live forever, it is to create something that will.”
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » December 20th 2016, 6:36pm

Not a bad deal for the price.

What is up with "Personal Tailor" on the dial?
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » December 20th 2016, 6:44pm

Damn! That is really good looking. Can't get over the price. If they do them in steel I may bite.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » December 20th 2016, 6:57pm

biglove wrote:What is up with "Personal Tailor" on the dial?

Yeh, a bit odd for sure. Is it intended to be a model name? I don't know what the manufacturer intended with that. I don't mind quirky or things that don't translate directly from one culture to another. Was it meant to portray custom fit/made? Its not a big watch so the text is actually pretty small and barely legible. It doesn't bother me; I might even like it a little bit. It's mildly amusing to me.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » December 20th 2016, 7:08pm

Nice, reminds me of my Eterna Vaughn.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » December 20th 2016, 7:16pm

Pretty decent looking watch, I like it.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » December 20th 2016, 7:43pm

Might sell well in Texas...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 20th 2016, 8:25pm

Ya know ... I keep seeing really inexpensive Chinese stuff on the Bay and at Amazon and you're right - it's those oddball "brand names" that keep me from dropping like 40 smackers on one of these things, just to try one. I wonder how much someone like Alberta knows about these inexpensive pieces.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » December 21st 2016, 1:52am

Great looking watch, love the hands.
bobbee
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SynMike » December 21st 2016, 3:33am

TemerityB wrote:Ya know ... I keep seeing really inexpensive Chinese stuff on the Bay and at Amazon and you're right - it's those oddball "brand names" that keep me from dropping like 40 smackers on one of these things, just to try one. I wonder how much someone like Alberta knows about these inexpensive pieces.

I've had a bad life budget for several years - no new watches. But 2016 was a good year and I got the itch to buy. I could have bought a couple of high end watches. But I wanted to make sure I didn't spend a wad on the wrong thing in haste with my rather sudden new freedom. So instead, to scratch the itch, I bought a bunch of affordable watches and will wait on higher end (speedmaster?) until 2017 if finances continue to go well.

I spent a little over $1000 on 5 affordable, brand names watches, 3 swiss and 2 swiss movement, a couple at incredible deals. Itch mostly scratched.

Then I bought many many on eBay or AliExpress. I did some research, reading reviews and comments on WUS, to look for the better buys. This thread helped a lot: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/best-a ... 36489.html

So how did those Chinese watches, mostly with funny names, work out? I got all of these:
1 Bliger: Excellent.
3 Curren: 2 good, one crap.
2 Jaragar: Both good, Both crappy bracelets
3 Sinobi: 1 Excellent, 2 good.
1 Compadre: Excellent
1 Weros: total crap
3 No-brand: all okay
1 Kinyued: Feels nice, quartz chrono, but loses 5 minutes / month. No thanks.
2 Orkina: Marginal. Okay maybe not even that good. But not crap
2 Xinew: Good. Especially for only $3 each.
1 Infantry: Meh. Its alright I guess.
2 Megir - Never showed up. Got refund from eBay, Plan to rebuy the bullhead chrono.

Okay, that’s quite a few, right? Total Spent: $290
$200 of that was on 6 that got great reviews on WUS - I am very happy with all of those.
$90 was gambled on 14 cheapies. In those I found 6 more that are good to go, I’m very happy.
The 8 that I don’t want will go to my friend's thrift shop. I would never wear them, she can get a few dollars for them.

It has all been fun but I think I might be done for now. It was all worth it. Others that look interesting to me on aliexpress or ebay are mostly over $100 each and I don’t feel like gambling at that kind of price.

This Compadre is near the end of the buying streak. A used Akribos 6497 skeleton is incoming in a week and I know my wife has at least one other under the xmas tree for me.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » December 21st 2016, 6:13am

Hmmmm, not bad. I will research Bliger and Sinobi

Cheers
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 21st 2016, 8:48am

Fun stuff. But Akribos? That's a step too far; SO stuff falls apart in the box even if you don't wear them.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » December 21st 2016, 11:49am

TemerityB wrote:Fun stuff. But Akribos? That's a step too far; SO stuff falls apart in the box even if you don't wear them.

:lol:

This will be my first Akribos. I'm not risking much. I paid $65 which is about the price of the movement alone on ebay. Its a 6497 movement. I think even the Chinese variants are pretty reliable.

EDIT: I forgot to say: It's a full skeleton so no brand name on it anywhere. ;)
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 21st 2016, 6:24pm

SynMike wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Fun stuff. But Akribos? That's a step too far; SO stuff falls apart in the box even if you don't wear them.

:lol:

This will be my first Akribos. I'm not risking much. I paid $65 which is about the price of the movement alone on ebay. Its a 6497 movement. I think even the Chinese variants are pretty reliable.

EDIT: I forgot to say: It's a full skeleton so no brand name on it anywhere. ;)

I dunno. I still have Shuhrling Original/Akribos on my shit list not only for blatant design theft, but I'm not joking about the quality - if you buy from those brands, it's blatant planned obsolescence. The watches just crap out, and quickly. I guess for a low price there's not much to really worry about, but the fact they sold that shit on Bovine and blatantly lied their asses off? It's just me, but I wouldn't give 'em a dime. Trust me, I'm not scolding you in the least, but I'm guessing you might not know what a skeezoid company that one is.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » December 21st 2016, 6:51pm

I think you are saying that Akribos is the same company as Stuhrling Original. But I know nothing of either brand to be honest. I have no idea about "sold that shit on Bovine and blatantly lied their asses off". I don't know the cattle reference or what lies they told. Is Bovine about the watch tv sales? Are these brands on TV? We don't get those tv channels here in Canada. I only know the sorry history of Invicta and tv watch sales people some years ago. But I've been away for a few years and even forgot the names and nicknames of the one most reprehensible guy. I know Koi was treated badly years ago by some scumbags and I joined here at day 1 to support him.

No need to answer any questions I just wrote. I don't have the headspace to carry much of that these days. Life has enough other challenges and concerns at the moment. Of course watch geeks should warn whoever listens about lies and crap from tv watch brands. It just can't be me at the moment. If I am going to get upset about problems across the border there in America, it won't be deceptive tv sales. I will take your anti Stuhrling Original/Akribos opinion seriously so I am unlikely to buy another. I will be sad if the incoming watch turns out to be a dud.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » December 21st 2016, 9:27pm

Akribos is the lower end (!) division of Sturhling Original. SO was a major brand for a long while on ShopNBC, which changed its name a year or so to Evine, which we tend to lampoon by calling it Bovine or Urine.

A few years ago the rep for SO, a bouffant-haired aging and fading hipster doofus named Larry Megan showed up on Urine, with a blatant ripoff of the Hamilton Ventura; one of the onair personalities for Urine, another fading hipster with outlandish hair named Tim Temple, made a big deal about the similarities between the SO knockoff and the Ventura, which was picked up by a viewer who sent the offending pics and statements to Hamilton. Hammy, somewhat surprisingly, went absolutely ape, and brought in lawyers, guns and money.

The result was Larry Magen getting the sack, and SO leaving the airwaves, at least on Urine. SO was also ordered to cease and desist, most ricky-tick, in their intellectual theft--possibly the only thing about SO that was intellectual--and the remaining Ventura knockoffs were sold, but fast, on various gray market online sites, usually for dirt cheap, which is what they were worth.

To this day, the SO/Hammy shoot-out is one of those touchstones for forums like WL, kind of like when fatman got a call on the air at Urine one show and told a rep for another shit TV watch company, who regrettably had a felony conviction in his background, that fatman's love of that company made him resort to robbing bowling alleys to fund his hoarding. The rep froze up like a deer in the headlights of a speeding F350, assuming that the deer was bloated, filled with cheap booze, and wearing a suit from Goodwill. At any rate, hopefully this will go to show how many of us feel about SO in particular, and many TV brands in general.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby jason_recliner » December 21st 2016, 9:43pm

conjurer wrote:Akribos is the lower end (!) division of Sturhling Original.

:shock:

That's low. Lower than a low motherfucker kicking a kitten in the nose.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » December 21st 2016, 9:55pm

Also, someone here - I think it might have been koi, I'm not sure - recently posted a website review of a Stuhrling automatic movement that the repair guy found actual styrofoam flecks caught inside of, which showed off the cheesiness and poor manufacturing practices that the brand is righteously lambasted for.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Your New Watch