Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everything

Poljot, Vostok, Buran and more discussed here...

Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everything

Postby Racer-X » March 15th 2017, 6:21pm

"The year is 1912 and it’s a cold April night as the Titanic speeds its way through iceberg-infested waters in the north Atlantic. I’m sure you all see where this is going so I will spare you further James Cameron-esque imagery and simply remind you that tragedy struck the luxury liner in the form of an iceberg, dooming what was thought to be an “unsinkable” ship.

Thousands of lives were lost needlessly and not simply because the ship sank; many factors aided in making that night a true tragedy instead of simply a failed voyage. One of those factors was communication and the complete lack of regulation over an international system."

Article at Quill & Pad
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby conjurer » March 15th 2017, 6:33pm

Paging Mr. Foghorn with a non-quickset-date gag...
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23826
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby foghorn » March 16th 2017, 1:28pm

conjurer wrote:Paging Mr. Foghorn with a non-quickset-date gag...




I'm tapped



Fuckski that fuckin' watchnik
Image

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 14892
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby jason_recliner » March 16th 2017, 1:42pm

conjurer wrote:Paging Mr. Foghorn with a non-quickset-date gag...


Perhaps the red periods signify when one should change the date, because changing the date takes so long, with the kids with the hair and the baggy pants and the non-quickset date...

Er... am I right?

Fuck, that's harder than it looks.

:3
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7295
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby Tzimisces » March 16th 2017, 2:29pm

Because in Russia, date changes you.

This is harder than it looks.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
User avatar
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4854
Joined: August 10th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Amelia, VA

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby koimaster » March 16th 2017, 2:32pm

They should have been on Guinness time

Image
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 31784
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby conjurer » March 16th 2017, 4:45pm

It's interesting that a site like Q&P, which usually features watches that I couldn't even imagine being able to afford, would slum with an article on something as rubbish as Vostok-Europe. I recall seeing Craig Hester, the guy who imports this shit, saying on Urine that he was going to be one of the editors at the Watchtime rag. I wonder if there is some log-rolling going on here to pimp his brand.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23826
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 16th 2017, 5:15pm

conjurer wrote:It's interesting that a site like Q&P, which usually features watches that I couldn't even imagine being able to afford, would slum with an article on something as rubbish as Vostok-Europe. I recall seeing Craig Hester, the guy who imports this shit, saying on Urine that he was going to be one of the editors at the Watchtime rag. I wonder if there is some log-rolling going on here to pimp his brand.

Why would they publish anything about Vostok Europe, if they usually write about tourbillons and other oligarchs'/magpies' delights? I would indeed suspect that some off-the-record deals are going on there. By Jove. Shill & Fad.

That's where I suddenly feel a wee bit of sympathy for the sites that openly admit, that they publish the "advertorial" shit- yes, it's unethical of the "press" (most of these "journalists" never heard of anything like ethical standards in what allegedly is their profession, so it's hard for me to put them in the same category as a real newspaper) to pull that off, but it's easier to stomach, if it's being described as such. The article at Q&P is a prime example of a "watch medium" trying to fudge-pack their readers.

I'm not quite familiar with the general opinion on the current Russian watches - guess I never paid attention to what happened to Russian watchmaking after the fall of the Soviet Union. I even quite like the Soviet vintage watches, as they're a really great, affordable way to get into vintage watch collecting, with parts being easily to obtain, and dirt cheap, and sure, one can get duped into buying a "lemon", but it doesn't hurt that much (20-30 bucks) even when it's a really bad buy, but even there, I'm not really interested in anything made in the USSR after 1980 (though even in the 1970s, only a few Soviet watches actually looked good- which leaves mostly the watches made before 1970). That said- would you care to enlighten me in that respect, chaps?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 761
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby conjurer » March 16th 2017, 5:36pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:It's interesting that a site like Q&P, which usually features watches that I couldn't even imagine being able to afford, would slum with an article on something as rubbish as Vostok-Europe. I recall seeing Craig Hester, the guy who imports this shit, saying on Urine that he was going to be one of the editors at the Watchtime rag. I wonder if there is some log-rolling going on here to pimp his brand.

Why would they publish anything about Vostok Europe, if they usually write about tourbillons and other oligarchs'/magpies' delights? I would indeed suspect that some off-the-record deals are going on there. By Jove. Shill & Fad.

That's where I suddenly feel a wee bit of sympathy for the sites that openly admit, that they publish the "advertorial" shit- yes, it's unethical of the "press" (most of these "journalists" never heard of anything like ethical standards in what allegedly is their profession, so it's hard for me to put them in the same category as a real newspaper) to pull that off, but it's easier to stomach, if it's being described as such. The article at Q&P is a prime example of a "watch medium" trying to fudge-pack their readers.

I'm not quite familiar with the general opinion on the current Russian watches - guess I never paid attention to what happened to Russian watchmaking after the fall of the Soviet Union. I even quite like the Soviet vintage watches, as they're a really great, affordable way to get into vintage watch collecting, with parts being easily to obtain, and dirt cheap, and sure, one can get duped into buying a "lemon", but it doesn't hurt that much (20-30 bucks) even when it's a really bad buy, but even there, I'm not really interested in anything made in the USSR after 1980 (though even in the 1970s, only a few Soviet watches actually looked good- which leaves mostly the watches made before 1970). That said- would you care to enlighten me in that respect, chaps?


The big push for Russian watches started, like so many other unfortunate fads in horology, on American home-shopping TV. Craig Hester, who may actually be an otherwise all-right guy, started importing a brand called Vostok-Europe, which is based in the Baltics someplace, which used old Vostok movements and, as foggy knows well, didn't have a quick-set date--possibly because the Russians were always so fucking jaked on gobment vodka that they didn't really care what the date was, anyway. Anyway, he started selling 'em on the old Shop-At-Home channel, with Tim Temple shilling for him. Some of the watches weren't too fucking horrible; they were relatively normal sized, and at least a couple of them that I bought seemed pretty well made. They were also pretty cheap, mostly in the below $200 price point.

Since then, V-E started raising their prices, using SII movements (or Citizen quartz), became absurdly large, and of course still celebrate the Great Russian Nation, which one would think hinder their sales as Russian troops goose-step through Ukraine and impale infants on their bayonets.

I owned a couple V-Es, as well as a Poljot or two, but they were a passing fad, trinkets, not really worth serious discussion.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23826
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Russian Watches In Action-How The Titanic Changed Everyt

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 16th 2017, 6:59pm

conjurer wrote:The big push for Russian watches started, like so many other unfortunate fads in horology, on American home-shopping TV. Craig Hester, who may actually be an otherwise all-right guy, started importing a brand called Vostok-Europe, which is based in the Baltics someplace, which used old Vostok movements and, as foggy knows well, didn't have a quick-set date--possibly because the Russians were always so fucking jaked on gobment vodka that they didn't really care what the date was, anyway. Anyway, he started selling 'em on the old Shop-At-Home channel, with Tim Temple shilling for him. Some of the watches weren't too fucking horrible; they were relatively normal sized, and at least a couple of them that I bought seemed pretty well made. They were also pretty cheap, mostly in the below $200 price point.

Since then, V-E started raising their prices, using SII movements (or Citizen quartz), became absurdly large, and of course still celebrate the Great Russian Nation, which one would think hinder their sales as Russian troops goose-step through Ukraine and impale infants on their bayonets.

I owned a couple V-Es, as well as a Poljot or two, but they were a passing fad, trinkets, not really worth serious discussion.

Well, that "somewhere", where V-E is located, is Lithuania, so the brand isn't even fully Russian these days anymore.
Regarding no date quickset, remember that these watches were designed for people, who only could afford one watch, unless they were members of the CPSU or one of its "subsidiaries" in the "satellite states." So nobody even had to care about designing a quickset feature, which meant that the movement designers could be jaked on vodka for most of the time.

As to the war potentially affecting the sales, the USSR nostalgia is what sells, so Trump's BFF could well take another portion of Ukraine, and the Mother Russia merchandise would still be selling great.

Poljot... Well, I still have one - I've bought it some time ago at a flea market, for not much more than the worth of two-three packs of smokes. It's a hand-wound wrist alarm, and there is little actually wrong with it- it's got a nicely made clone of the AS 1475 inside, the dial looks like new, and the plating is worn- but more from daily wear than mistreatment, as there are no dents or scratches. The only reason why I don't wear it, is that it's simply fucking ugly. I had a brief moment of infatuation with 1970s watch design, and this one was as 1970s-style crass as it gets. After a month or two, it turned out to be way too crass for me.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 761
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm


Return to Russian Watches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest