A Bankrupt US company and Russian Watches

Poljot, Vostok, Buran and more discussed here...

A Bankrupt US company and Russian Watches

Postby koimaster » February 3rd 2017, 12:29pm

Recommended Reading How A Bankrupt Rust Belt Watch Company Kick-Started The Soviet Watch Industry – And The Obsessive Collector Who Chronicles Their History

Wednesday December 14, 2016

One of the wonderful things about watch collecting is that there are an incredible number of different levels on which you can go at it. Sure, we all spend a lot of time hearing about a lot of the same things, from a lot of the same auction results, to a lot of coverage of brands that because of their sheer size and industry influence are news (like Cartier, Rolex, Omega, and TAG Heuer). But at the same time, there are pockets of almost pure scholarship here and there, where collectors are motivated not by brand image or the hope of making a solid investment, but by pure enthusiasm.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/how-a ... ir-history

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: A Bankrupt US company and Russian Watches

Postby conjurer » February 3rd 2017, 1:31pm

Henceforth, I wish to be addressed as Dashiell Oatman-Stanford.

Oh, and fuck the mongoloid Russians. Fuck 'em all in the ear. A bunch of ignorant, table-dancing alcoholics.

Also, the article is stupid. Most Russian watches are miserable pieces of shit. They're OK as trinkets, and the Poljot 3133 is a decent movement (although mostly designed by the Swiss.) And, before foggy chimes in, it doesn't have a quickset date, and it never fucking will. Good examples can be found where the Russian watchmakers didn't actually vomit on it when casing 'em up, but they are very rare.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Russian Watches