Opinions please on the bracelet model

Poljot, Vostok, Buran and more discussed here...

Opinions please on the bracelet model

Postby kevco » June 3rd 2014, 8:33am

2432-3405094.png

Vostok Europe Arktika Russian 32 Jewel Automatic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevco
Master of Time

Re: Opinions please on the bracelet model

Postby conjurer » June 3rd 2014, 8:45am

Dang, Kev, where to start?

Apart from the somewhat spurious Russianness of the VE watches (which are actually made with Chinese made cases and bracelets and now usually use Japanese movements--probably a step up from the Russian movements they started with) and the fact that the Russian movements (which, if I recall, the Arktika actually used) are a pain-in-the-ass, with the lack of a quick-setting date, poor accuracy, poor QC, etc.

What would push me away from the bracelet model is the butterfly-type clasp on the Arktika bracelet, which doesn't have micro-adjustments, so it's a 50-50 chance you're going to get a decent fit for your wrist. Also, I hate the butterfly clasps because they dig into the bottom of my wrist like a bear-trap.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » June 3rd 2014, 8:46am

There is a fair degree of badassery in the bracelet model. Looks hefty.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby kevco » June 3rd 2014, 9:09am

I guess I should have said that I found it in the $150.00 range which also includes the original blue leather strap.

Bracelet is being referred to as a "Super Engineer II" which are priced at around $83.00 on eBay. These have the fold-over clasp and micro adjustments so the fit would probably be a little better.

I think this would be an Asian made thing all around. I just like the looks of the watch. :scratch:
Last edited by kevco on June 3rd 2014, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 3rd 2014, 9:25am

Hell, for a buck fifty on a Super Engineer? You probably can't go wrong for that.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » June 3rd 2014, 1:28pm

It's nice enough looking and a good price for what it is, but I think I'd put that C-and-a-half into something else.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 3rd 2014, 1:33pm

I actually had a customer come into my store a couple years ago wearing this watch--although as I recall it was goldtone, on a strap. It didn't look bad, but seemed kinda big on the wrist.

Also, I'm not sure how a Russian watch would be perceived these days--my Ukrainian neighbors are a little touchy about the subject, which is why I stopped wearing my PUTIN RULES! T shirt when mowing my lawn.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 3rd 2014, 2:19pm

Hell, I like that bracelet!

The watch, not so much.

To each his own though!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » June 5th 2014, 10:03am

3Flushes wrote:It's nice enough looking and a good price for what it is, but I think I'd put that C-and-a-half into something else.

For the most part (if not all) Vostok-Europe (which BTW is not Russian made or a Russian brand but Lithuanian) suck in every possible way, although it may sound ludicrous to some, they are Invicta models actually better build that most of the V-E line up.
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Dr.Morningwood » June 5th 2014, 5:37pm

Make sure the "Leather Strap" is leather and not the Satin covered leather.

I bought one from Craig at Russia2All on sale and had to sell it because it was on the blue Satin covered leather, and honestly, it looked very Ghey!!

Never wore it. Good new was I made a few $$ on ebay selling it!

Looks much better on the bracelet anyway!!
Dr.Morningwood
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » June 5th 2014, 11:03pm

eddiea wrote:
3Flushes wrote:It's nice enough looking and a good price for what it is, but I think I'd put that C-and-a-half into something else.

For the most part (if not all) Vostok-Europe (which BTW is not Russian made or a Russian brand but Lithuanian) suck in every possible way, although it may sound ludicrous to some, they are Invicta models actually better build that most of the V-E line up.

Like Inivcta, but worse; good to know. I figured they were worth a buck-and-a-half'ish - but I also figured for not too much more, a guy could do much better. Glad to know they suck.

I've always thought you should write your own TZ typea rating scale. EA 0 - 5 / Sucks in every possible way, and so on.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby kevco » June 6th 2014, 6:36am

3Flushes wrote:
eddiea wrote:

Like Inivcta, but worse; good to know. I figured they were worth a buck-and-a-half'ish - but I also figured for not too much more, a guy could do much better. Glad to know they suck.

I've always thought you should write your own TZ typea rating scale. EA 0 - 5 / Sucks in every possible way, and so on.

:oops:
kevco
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » June 6th 2014, 7:45am

eddiea wrote:

That's not my experience. The Anchar was a great watch.

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » June 6th 2014, 9:25am

bedlam wrote:
eddiea wrote:

That's not my experience. The Anchar was a great watch.

They are a few V-E models (very, very few) the Anchar being one, that were better put together and have a more easy on the eyes design appeal than the rest , that been said ...
Definitions on what a "great watch" is , varies widely but as a rule of thumb.
Fitted with a pretty basic non hand wind / non-hacking / not so accurate NH25A , T25 tubes that aren’t particularly bright, mineral crystal, all in a 48mm chunky case package, personally? I would hesitate to call the Anchar "a great watch" a good looking watch, that at best give adequate performance ? sure .... on the toolish side of the equation (at least in the design) with acceptable specs considering the price range? no question .
Aside from that, the brand itself is so murky that , that definitely they are not for me.....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Return to Russian Watches